• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What to watch? (need streaming series suggestions)

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
For anyone who is remotely interested in the role of Oxy-Contin/Perdue Pharma and the opioid epidemic (especially medical folks, who lived and worked through it): Dopesick, on Hulu, is definitely worth the watch. I thought I was pretty educated on this story, but I learned lots that I never knew about (and I started practice before this all developed, so this whole story played out during my career). I'm glad I never got caught up in this web, as I was always pretty conservative with opioid Rx's.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I realize I'm late to the Ted Lasso bandwagon given all of its Emmys, but a friend recently insisted I watch it and I just want to recommend it here, even if you don't care about soccer or think it won't be your cup of tea. I thought it would be "bro-y" in a Judd-Apatow sort of way and I was totally wrong. It's funny and well written, but also sweet, and warm-hearted, with great character development.

I binged it while going though a very, very tough time with some personal stuff, and it reminded me a bit of Parks and Recreation in that they've created such a kind, funny world full of decent people that it was really uplifting to spend time with. Highly recommend.

Apologies for being a little off-topic as It's not on Netflix, but you can watch it if you have AppleTV+ (or a friend's password, or use the free 7-day trial).

Christy

Angel Diva
I realize I'm late to the Ted Lasso bandwagon given all of its Emmys, but a friend recently insisted I watch it and I just want to recommend it here, even if you don't care about soccer or think it won't be your cup of tea.
Jason Sudekis hosted SNL last weekend and had a great line that he was surprised it was such a hit because it's about "soccer and kindness, two things Americans hate."

newboots

Angel Diva
Speaking of drugs, Breaking Bad on Netflix...hard to stop once you start. Not everyone's cup of tea, so I'll speak for myself.

I was riveted during the last go-round, even through some incredibly distressing violence. It was such well-made TV. I felt similarly about The Wire.

I'm consciously trying to reduce the stress in my life by avoiding violence in media. I think I'm "hooked on adrenaline" as people used to say, and I think it's not good for me. It's great for avoiding what we want to avoid, inside. That strategy has not been working well in my life.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Speaking of drugs, Breaking Bad on Netflix...hard to stop once you start. Not everyone's cup of tea, so I'll speak for myself.
Loved it; I was hesitant to watch Better Call Saul because it seemed like a lazy gimmick. Watched the whole thing and I actually think BCS is better than Breaking Bad. Same great writers, but a very different story with an interesting arc and a really great character in Kim Wexler. Michael McKean is incredible as Jimmy/Saul's brother.

alison wong

Angel Diva
I loved it. Borrowed from the library few years ago, binge watching the entire series over few weekends. It was addictive. I like Bryan Cranston because of Breaking Bad.
He has another TV mini series out: "Your Honor". It is available on DVDs, it is pretty good (still prefers Breaking Bad).

On a different note, has anyone seen "City of Joy" on Netflix? A documentary on Dr Denis Mukwege, Nobel Peace prize winner, about his work in Congo.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Has anyone seen the Medici series? If so, what do you think of it?
Not subscribed to Netflix but considering because I am interested in the Medici series.
If you don’t want the ongoing autopay, you can always limit your subscription by using one of the prepaid Netflix gift cards. That way you can just pay for a month’s worth at a time and not have to remember to cancel when you’re done with the series.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been watching The Derry Girls lately and it's a hoot! Though I keep the closed captioning on; the accents are a problem for me. Highly recommend.
Just FYI, they've just recently started filming the final season of Derry Girls so we should get that some time in 2022.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I recently watched Versailles on Netflix. It started out kind of slow, and I had some issues distinguishing some of the characters in it because there's just SO MANY, but it ended up being a very pleasant surprise. I really enjoyed it, and loved Louis' brother Philippe. Also, the theme song is fantastic... excellent choice. I've been on a period drama kick recently for whatever reason.

Bookworm

Angel Diva
I watched the first season of YOU, which was a gas. Complete guilty pleasure. I noticed that season 3 is out, but you know how when you binge something you can get kind of worn out? I'll wait a while before continuing, if I ever do.
Meanwhile (not Netflix) but CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM just started it's new season on HBO! I needed a good laugh.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
Loved it; I was hesitant to watch Better Call Saul because it seemed like a lazy gimmick. Watched the whole thing and I actually think BCS is better than Breaking Bad. Same great writers, but a very different story with an interesting arc and a really great character in Kim Wexler. Michael McKean is incredible as Jimmy/Saul's brother.
I felt the same way. I watched BCS only because I love Odenkirk. I think I enjoy it more than BB.

jthree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just FYI, they've just recently started filming the final season of Derry Girls so we should get that some time in 2022.
What?! I didn't know there would be any more seasons, I assumed it was just the two. Now I'm really excited!

Skidiva, I watch with the closed captioning on too. Otherwise there would be no way!

Christy

Angel Diva
I just watched the 2019 and 2020 Warren Miller movies on Amazon. I liked them both a lot. They were very focused on skiing without the dumb (IMO) stuff they've tried in recent years like segments on snowmobiling.

Just watched The Edge of Seventeen on Netflix, enjoyed it. Also The Mitchells v. The Machines (animation done very very well). Been needing comedy this past week to offset family drama.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Too gruesome for me. :-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly