• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What to watch? (need streaming series suggestions)

jthree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmm, I might do that! I get so much enjoyment from it. Mrs. Bennett...

You might enjoy this Youtube [SPOILERS], it's exceedingly diverting:

Love this! Wondering why I don't rewatch this annually, seems like a fine tradition.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone mentioned Derry Girls yet? It's on Netflix. I did a search and didn't find anything on it. It's super cute. It's set in the 90s, so for me being a 90s teen it was very nostalgic. I also thought it did a really good job of being humorous while still showing the gravity of the situation in Northern Ireland in the 90s.
I've been watching The Derry Girls lately and it's a hoot! Though I keep the closed captioning on; the accents are a problem for me. Highly recommend.

newboots

Angel Diva
I am watching Charite on Netflix. A period piece about a hospital serving the poor (but requiring payment) set in the 19th and early 20th centuries. Quite interesting events in the history of medicine, dreadful sexism, homophobia, and anti-Semitism; good character development. It's in German with good subtitles. The rare series made for grown-ups, IMHO!

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Outlander.... I've been working my way through it and I just....can't... anymore. I can't stomach Claire. So overly dramatic. I am starting to really dislike her. Sigh. Lots of other choices I guess.

NYSnowflake

Angel Diva
Outlander.... I've been working my way through it and I just....can't... anymore. I can't stomach Claire. So overly dramatic. I am starting to really dislike her. Sigh. Lots of other choices I guess.
I really loved outlander until the part where they were living in France. It just turned into two married people bickering all the time. Not exactly entertaining.

altagirl

Staff member
I really loved outlander until the part where they were living in France. It just turned into two married people bickering all the time. Not exactly entertaining.
I tried reading it and disliked her inner monologues so much. I finally watched the early seasons of the show and was surprised that I liked them at all, but at least its that much less drama than the books without hearing what's in her head too.
It's a fun concept but the unnecessary drama exhausts me.

altagirl

Staff member
I just watched Bonfire of Destiny (period drama from 1897 París based on actual events) which is originally in French (and I can never remember the name since it's completely different that what shows as the title screen in French!) But I really enjoyed it. Very dramatic fire scene in the first episode and lots of interwoven characters. It's one that I didn't want to stop watching to the point of listening to an episode while walking the dogs. :rotf:

Lmk92

Angel Diva
Has anyone mentioned Rake on Netflix? The last season isn't as good, but it's hilarious. Also, for sci fi/time travel fans, don't miss Dark. Excellent three seasons. I watched it twice!

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I tried reading it and disliked her inner monologues so much. I finally watched the early seasons of the show and was surprised that I liked them at all, but at least its that much less drama than the books without hearing what's in her head too.
It's a fun concept but the unnecessary drama exhausts me.
Nailed it.

newboots

Angel Diva
Has anyone mentioned Rake on Netflix? The last season isn't as good, but it's hilarious. Also, for sci fi/time travel fans, don't miss Dark. Excellent three seasons. I watched it twice!

I liked Rake. Although I tend to cringe when people are behaving badly, I just love a courtroom drama.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
Oh yeah, definitely plenty to cringe at there. But it's so dang funny. The episode about how to refer to a penis made me laugh out loud several times.

altagirl

Staff member

Okay - started watching Dark. I may NEED to watch this twice to keep track. Haha. I started watching it in the original German with English subtitles but, haha, this is mind bending enough in English.... :smile:

altagirl

Staff member
That is exactly how I felt about the books, maybe I should give the show a chance...
I will say the costumes and the accents and landscapes and all of that certainly do add to it - so there is that. (I'm definitely a sucker for elaborate historic costumes and epic scenery....) And I like the concept of a strong willed woman, educated in current modern medicine and with a background in herbal plant remedies traveling in time - I'm just not sure I like Claire.... I feel like a good amount of her decision making can only be explained by "well, it was a good way to move the plot to this next adventure!".

geargrrl

Angel Diva
That is exactly how I felt about the books, maybe I should give the show a chance...

I will say the costumes and the accents and landscapes and all of that certainly do add to it - so there is that. (I'm definitely a sucker for elaborate historic costumes and epic scenery....) And I like the concept of a strong willed woman, educated in current modern medicine and with a background in herbal plant remedies traveling in time - I'm just not sure I like Claire.... I feel like a good amount of her decision making can only be explained by "well, it was a good way to move the plot to this next adventure!".
Not liking Claire... that's it for me. Maybe I have way too much recovery under my belt, but I find her to be nosy, pushy, a little too righteous, overly indignant, trying to save/fix everything in her path etc etc.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
Okay - started watching Dark. I may NEED to watch this twice to keep track. Haha. I started watching it in the original German with English subtitles but, haha, this is mind bending enough in English.... :smile:
Yeah, when you know everything, you'll want to go back and see how it's all put together. One of my favorite shows.

newboots

Angel Diva
I just watched "The Dig," a movie on Netflix. Do not let this one get past you! Wonderful movie! A period piece, set in England on the brink of WWII. A quirky plot based on an archeological find, with great characters galore.

I give it five *****!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I just watched "The Dig," a movie on Netflix. Do not let this one get past you! Wonderful movie! A period piece, set in England on the brink of WWII. A quirky plot based on an archeological find, with great characters galore.

I give it five *****!

Oh, yeah! I saw that. Very good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly