• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What to watch? (need streaming series suggestions)

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, Deb Armstrong did a review of AD on her Youtube channel. Actually now that I think of it, her review consisted of saying how lame it was that no women were included, and then she gets into listing her top downhill women, blithely ignoring the rest of the movie, as if to say 'two can play at that game'. :thumbsup::wink:

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I also found Schitts Creek a bit odd to start with, it took me a few episodes to really get into it but I started enjoying it so much that I've rewatched it a couple of times since!

I need to give Umbrella Academy another go. Did anyone else find that it took them a long time to get into it? I made it a few episodes in and it really didn't hook me, so I gave up. That was about a year ago..

COcanuck

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I also found Schitts Creek a bit odd to start with, it took me a few episodes to really get into it but I started enjoying it so much that I've rewatched it a couple of times since!

I need to give Umbrella Academy another go. Did anyone else find that it took them a long time to get into it? I made it a few episodes in and it really didn't hook me, so I gave up. That was about a year ago..

We discovered the Umbrella Academy this year, so already had season 2 available to watch...it took a few episodes but once 5 was introduced, we were sold!

Anyone watch "The Boys" on Amazon? Liked season 1 but unsure about the first 2 episodes of 2...getting really graphic...

I'm also the crazy girl who loves Sci-Fi, I binged The Expanse on Amazon after finding it during the pandemic!

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I love sci-fi but I had a hard time getting past the first episode or two of The Expanse. It seemed so bleak!

COcanuck

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love sci-fi but I had a hard time getting past the first episode or two of The Expanse. It seemed so bleak!

I had a hard time following what was going on in the first couple of episodes and almost did the same, but wound up pushing past a few more and really got into it. I want to read the books now...

I like the fact that it was really rooted in science, I could see humans living like that in a few hundred years, terraforming on Mars, etc.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I had a hard time following what was going on in the first couple of episodes and almost did the same, but wound up pushing past a few more and really got into it. I want to read the books now...

I like the fact that it was really rooted in science, I could see humans living like that in a few hundred years, terraforming on Mars, etc.

I’ll have to give it another chance! It’s right up my alley.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Here's my updated list

Schitt's Creek - normally I love Canadian humor but I couldn't get past all screaming in Ep. 1.

Norsemen - omg lol funny spoof of all the viking shows, done in English by the same folks that made Lillehammer.

Away - couldn't get into it. Way too soap and texting/cellphones in space?

Peaky Blinders - really enjoying this. 1920's crime family drama, lacking in gratuitus violence which I appreciate

Last Kingdom - Extremely well done historical about 7th Century Anglo-Saxon conflict in the time of King Alfred.

Ozark - dark crime/drug drama set in the Ozarks. Jason Bateman, Laura Linney, and OMG Ruth Langmore. Dark, violent, unpredictable.

Perry Mason, the remake on HBO. Really well done, can't wait for the next season to drop.

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Perry Mason was excellent - highlight for me was John Lithgow although the whole cast was good. Also good to see Tatiana Maslany in something else after Orphan Black (which I'd recommend if you've not seen it). I was slightly confused at the start of Perry Mason though as I remember watching it when I was a kid and I was thinking that I was sure he'd been a lawyer...

Christy

Angel Diva
The play "What the Constitution Means to Me," which was a Pulitzer finalist (and Tony nominee) last year, was filmed and made available on Amazon. Heidi is an old acquaintance of my husband's from the Seattle music and theater world and I was dying for the play to come to Seattle, especially after I heard her on Fresh Air. That's obviously not happening soon, so I was thrilled to know it was on Amazon.

It was OUTSTANDING. Everyone should see this. Really. It's funny but also very moving. You might need a tissue handy.

NY Times article about it: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/22/movies/what-the-constitution-means-to-me-review.html

If you can't read the Times: https://www.playbill.com/article/wh...lay earned Schreck two,Leading Role in a Play.

MI-skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A must see if you like nature documentaries and just a great uplifting true life story....My Octopus Teacher! On Netflix. Also loved the follow up documentary of bad ass Bethany Hamilton, the surfer who lost her arm in a shark encounter, Unstoppable.

altagirl

Staff member
I enjoyed Lucifer - fun, nothing to overthink and I could watch it while doing things around the house and still be entertained.

Witcher - also liked that, but that one you kind of need to pay attention to. :smile: Rewatching now because it's one where it's jumping between timelines and there is a lot to follow and foreshadowing you might have missed the first time.

I definitely enjoyed Schitt's Creek. Love David!

Norsemen - we thought was funny, but it's just too "spoofy"/silly for me. Which... Schitt's Creek is silly too, but I think I gave up on Norsemen quickly - maybe I needed to get further into the plot so it seems like something other than a SNL sketch...

We watched one or two epidsodes so far of Peaky Blinders and it's on the list to finish. I will say I was a little bummed realizing that it's such a different story than the historical gang which was in a totally different time period and whatnot. I think it's odd that they did that...

Warrior Nun was surprisingly fun. Better than I expected, and a pretty original story.

And I ADORE the first season of Penny Dreadful. I thought it was a really creative retelling of all those old school horror characters. And I love Eva Green - she is.... convincingly disturbed! Second season we gave up on (but it's one of those with a different cast, different location, different story....)

COcanuck

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Witcher - also liked that, but that one you kind of need to pay attention to. :smile: Rewatching now because it's one where it's jumping between timelines and there is a lot to follow and foreshadowing you might have missed the first time.

I definitely enjoyed Schitt's Creek. Love David!

I couldn't get into the Witcher, watched 2 episodes and just couldn't do it, does it get better? And possibly slightly less hard to follow??

David and Patrick are my favorites! Love his outfits too...

altagirl

Staff member
I couldn't get into the Witcher, watched 2 episodes and just couldn't do it, does it get better? And possibly slightly less hard to follow??

David and Patrick are my favorites! Love his outfits too...
Yes, i think once it got into the female characters, i liked it a lot more. But still not very easy to follow.

newboots

Angel Diva
I'm late to this thread. Is anyone watching The Queen's Gambit? I read the book decades ago and loved it, and the series is great but I didn't remember her [never mind, spoiler]. Anyway, I'm on episode 5 and really enjoying it.

Oh, about an orphan who learns to play chess and turns out to be amazing.

altagirl

Staff member

I really enjoyed the Expanse too for the reasons you mentioned - it's a very realistic space travel show, compared to most. We like to gloss over issues with gravity and how it affects the body - what could happen to generations raised off of earth? How would different types of spacecraft cause different dangers to human physiology...

It's a little depressing because it's probably only TOO realistic that once we have colonists all over the place, unless we can make some serious social improvements, we probably will have political issues, racism and war going on and on... I hope we are better than that, but it's not unrealistic there either.

This also got me really enjoying youtube video series called Cool Worlds, which is the Astronomy Lab for Columbia University and they have some videos explaining things like how artificial gravity could actually work and all sorts of fun educational stuff. There is a pretty entertaining one on how high Superman could actually jump - I had not thought of the limitation that if Krypton was just really BIG, it would turn into a gas giant planet and there would be no surface to stand on, hah... I'm definitely entertained with the scientific discussion of sci-fi....

altagirl

Staff member
Anyone watch "The Boys" on Amazon? Liked season 1 but unsure about the first 2 episodes of 2...getting really graphic...

I'm all caught up on The Boys - I agree that it's often disturbingly graphic and, well... just disturbing in general. But hard to stop watching. They do a great job of making you REALLY dislike some characters! And it's a pretty unique take on the superhero genre.

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm late to this thread. Is anyone watching The Queen's Gambit? I read the book decades ago and loved it, and the series is great but I didn't remember her [never mind, spoiler]. Anyway, I'm on episode 5 and really enjoying it.

It's high up my list of TV shows to watch soon! Netflix keeps suggesting it to me, glad to hear it's good!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member

I've been watching, but I have some mixed feelings about it.

SkiBam

Angel Diva

It's on my to-watch list. Once we've finished Borgen (now watching the third season), which is truly excellent by the way.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly