• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What to watch? (need streaming series suggestions)

gingerjess

Angel Diva
I got an Apple TV+ subscription last year for free when I bought a new iPad, and I've been enjoying Ted Lasso the last few weeks. For a TV show based on a couple ironic TV ads about how little most Americans understand about what the rest of the world calls football, it has a surprising amount of heart, and seems to really love its characters in a way that I find rare.

Not currently airing, but also on Apple TV+, is For All Mankind, which is sort of a science-fiction-y "what if" show—the premise is that the Soviet Union beat the US to the moon in 1969, and as a result, the space race continued unabated. It's well-written, and I find it interesting the way the show seems to use its characters' more selfish motives to push the world forward. For example, rather than the first woman astronaut being Sally Ride on the Space Shuttle in 1983, a well-publicized female cosmonaut's landing on the moon leads Nixon, in a fit of jealousy, to force NASA to recruit female astronauts, train them, and put one on the moon in 1971.

Between the two, I'll probably keep paying for the subscription when my free year is up.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Watching Stranger Things on Netflix. Just started season 2. Addictive but I find it scary and disturbing.

Christy

Angel Diva
Watching Stranger Things on Netflix. Just started season 2. Addictive but I find it scary and disturbing.

I never would have started watching this on my own, but my husband did, and I was in the room doing other stuff and got sucked in by the end of episode 2. It is great, though season 3 was kinda weak.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
We watched season 7 of Alone, which is available on Netflix, and really liked it. They take 10 people and drop them each alone in a spot in way northern Canada and see how long they can make it. They're each able to choose 10 things to bring with them, which includes things like a bow & arrow, flint to start fires, fishing nets, etc. Super entertaining and all the contestants are ridiculously skilled.

We also watched Away, which is about a mission to Mars (but more of a drama than sci-fi), and we really didn't like it! I don't know why we kept watching it! :smile: Curious to hear if anyone else gave Away a shot and what they thought of it.

Christy

Angel Diva
I just watched American Downhiller, the new documentary about the US men's downhill team. It's not good, and it's strange in that it defines an American downhiller as a man. Except for a couple quotes near the beginning where they say that the downhill team is different than the tech or the women's team (?), and that the story can only be told by the men that lived it (?), it's like women don't exist.

I mean, I guess you can make a documentary just about the history of the men's downhill team, but tell us why you are doing that, and what made that team, and their struggles for legitimacy in Europe, and for success, different than what the women's team was going through. Pretty much every time they brought up a new topic I wondered, did that happen to the women, too? The angle is particular odd since the greatest women's downhill skier of all time is American.

I'd really like to ask the men that made this---WTF, guys?

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I'm watching "Borgen." Have seen season 1 so far. Excellent Danish series about politics. One thing I learned: "Borgen" is the name of the Danish parliament - akin I guess to the White House. It took me a while to figure that out as they kept talking about Borgen and I wasn't sure even what it was! Stupid me. Anyway, I recommend.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
If anyone is looking for something really good to watch, I highly recommend Criminal Minds: UK. It's a British police procedural, but there are no car chases or gun battles or anything like that. Each episode takes place within the confines of a police interview suite and focuses on the intense mental conflict between detectives and suspects. It's very cat-and-mouse, and positively excellent. Highly recommend.

kiki

Angel Diva
I’ve been watching Young Sheldon, it makes me smile and laugh, very heartwarming. It’s available on google play or on optic on demand, here in Canada. I think in the US it is on prime.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I’ve been obsessed with The Haunting of Bly Manor on Netflix this week - binge watched it on Sunday, then re-watched over the week. Aside from the terrible accents, this was a beautifully done 9 episode series about romantic love, grief and moving on.

There are a few scary parts (I’m a wuss when it comes to horror) but nothing really that frightening...

COcanuck

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ladies, surprised nobody has mentioned it yet, but Schitt's Creek on Netflix is the best thing on there right now, watch it, you'll love it!!

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When does Schitt's creek get good? Watched 6 episodes and while I grew up watching SCTV I just cant get into it ?

COcanuck

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When does Schitt's creek get good? Watched 6 episodes and while I grew up watching SCTV I just cant get into it ?

Agree with @gingerjess , some people can't get into it. I'm a Canuck too and just love all of the little things that remind me of Canada and shows like SCTV and Corner Gas (which me and my family love but my American husband just looked at me very strangely after I made him watch the first couple of episodes). I like Schitt's Creek also because of David, it's so rare to have a character like him positively portrayed on sitcoms like he is on this one!

I wouldn't recommend just watching individual episodes, this is one of those shows where the characters grow with time and you get to love them and all of their quirks over time. Alexa was really annoying to me at first but she became a much more complex character as the seasons went forward...

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been binge watching Taskmaster - a UK show where comedians have to complete silly tasks. 7 series available on Youtube, plus the 10th series has just started on there too. Very funny and oddly compelling!

SkiBam

Angel Diva
We’ve started watching Schitts Creek and I have to say it’s growing on me. I’m finding the characters quite endearing despite all the silliness.

The other we’re watching is Borgen. Can’t recommend this highly enough. It’s a Danish political series about a woman who becomes Prime minister in a minority government- and while I’m not usually fond of dubbing it has been done excellently.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just watched American Downhiller, the new documentary about the US men's downhill team. It's not good, and it's strange in that it defines an American downhiller as a man. Except for a couple quotes near the beginning where they say that the downhill team is different than the tech or the women's team (?), and that the story can only be told by the men that lived it (?), it's like women don't exist.

I mean, I guess you can make a documentary just about the history of the men's downhill team, but tell us why you are doing that, and what made that team, and their struggles for legitimacy in Europe, and for success, different than what the women's team was going through. Pretty much every time they brought up a new topic I wondered, did that happen to the women, too? The angle is particular odd since the greatest women's downhill skier of all time is American.

I'd really like to ask the men that made this---WTF, guys?

Deb Armstrong did a review of this movie and was all over the omission. She listed her own top ladies of AD. Good review, check it out.

I finally watching Ski Bum the Warren Miller story. Really enjoyed it, well done.

Started watching 30th anniversary version of Blizzard of Aahhh's, there were some intro parts that looked back at the movie, but I hate to admit, the movie itself hasn't drawn me in. Such bro's.

Christy

Angel Diva
Deb Armstrong did a review of this movie and was all over the omission. She listed her own top ladies of AD. Good review, check it out.

I finally watching Ski Bum the Warren Miller story. Really enjoyed it, well done.

Started watching 30th anniversary version of Blizzard of Aahhh's, there were some intro parts that looked back at the movie, but I hate to admit, the movie itself hasn't drawn me in. Such bro's.

I found a You Tube video--is that the review you are referencing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly