• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What to watch? (need streaming series suggestions)

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, no @VickiK I just meant is Fear going to be an entire series with multiple seasons? Or is it just a few episodes?

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@tinymoose - Sounds like they're going forward with this spinoff. I found this info about FWD: "AMC announced...a 15-episode order for Season 2 of Fear the Walking Dead, which will air in 2016. One of summer's most anticipated new series, Fear the Walking Dead was greenlit back in March for two seasons". With WD, FWD, and the entertainment value of the Talking Dead, the talk show that analyzes the characters and plot, that's a lot of zombies. Who knew there's this fascination. Last year there were 5K-10K's, mud runs with the zombie theme, people really get into it.

Like you, I thought the premiere was kinda slow.

That's the show my friend Pam was just telling me about; she said its awesome and hysterical. She said Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin are so great together.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Yeah they are! We watched another two episodes and then stopped so we didn't watch them all in one night. Need to spread them out a little bit . . .

Jenny

Angel Diva
@tinymoose - since we were talking about it in this thread earlier . . .

What did you think about the new X-files? We watched the first episode, but have to wait until tomorrow for the next one, since DH is at hockey tonight.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I had the DVR set for X Files.... we had a partial preempt with football so it started late, and the DVR cut off a 8 PM!!!! So now I have to wait for it to pop up on On Demand so we can get the second 1/2. ;P

heather matthews

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We have just binge watched the two series of The Affair which had me spellbound.The narrative arc was really cool. Also Garfunkel and Oates which was very funny.Grace and Frankie was also very funny and so good to see Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda just killing it.May have a look at Lillehammer.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I had the DVR set for X Files.... we had a partial preempt with football so it started late, and the DVR cut off a 8 PM!!!! So now I have to wait for it to pop up on On Demand so we can get the second 1/2. ;P
When we still had cable we had that happen on a couple of things and DH just started setting it for an extra half hour or so, just in case. It's sooooo aggravating to be watching and then bam! Gone.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@tinymoose - since we were talking about it in this thread earlier . . .

What did you think about the new X-files? We watched the first episode, but have to wait until tomorrow for the next one, since DH is at hockey tonight.

I'm loving it! My show is back! It's not like Season 3-5 X-Files, what I feel was the show at its peak, but it's soooo much better than the last two seasons so far, as well as that movie that must not be named (I Want to Believe). Just wait 'til you see the 2nd episode. :smile:

How are you liking it? The highlight of episode 1 for me was Mulder's adorable, excited face at seeing the ARV. That was SO Mulder.

Did you see the skit they did on Kimmel?

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I quit 1/2 way through episode 2. Story was ok but I can't handle the graphic gore. It bums me out; stories can easily be told, even gruesome ones, without blood dripping everywhere. Some of the script, especially Scully, seems really cheesy and stilted- is all net work tv like that now?

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I quit 1/2 way through episode 2. Story was ok but I can't handle the graphic gore. It bums me out; stories can easily be told, even gruesome ones, without blood dripping everywhere. Some of the script, especially Scully, seems really cheesy and stilted- is all net work tv like that now?

Hasn't X-Files always been a bit gory, though? Hell, the episode "Home" was banned from syndication for a long time b/c of its graphic nature. I also watch The Walking Dead and Hannibal (before it was cancelled), though, so obviously gore doesn't particularly bother me.

But I do agree, something is off with Scully. Her voice even sounds weird... quiet and raspy. And that's not Gillian's normal voice so it's not that. Mulder seems like Mulder, but Scully is just off somehow... she still seems very much like IWTB Scully, who I didn't particularly care for.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Should probably watch the X-Files, I was a fan back in the day. Lately, I've had Dexter on my mind.

Wasn't home to check this out. Will grab it on Hulu or On Demand.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Hasn't X-Files always been a bit gory, though? Hell, the episode "Home" was banned from syndication for a long time b/c of its graphic nature. I also watch The Walking Dead and Hannibal (before it was cancelled), though, so obviously gore doesn't particularly bother me.

Spoilers below.

But I do agree, something is off with Scully. Her voice even sounds weird... quiet and raspy. And that's not Gillian's normal voice so it's not that. Mulder seems like Mulder, but Scully is just off somehow... she still seems very much like IWTB Scully, who I didn't particularly care for.

Spoiler alert.

Well, it's been 14 years but I don't think it was literally gory. (spoiler alert) once the gal shoved her knife into pregnant belly and they showed the slash with something dripping blood starting to crawl out, that was it for me. Same thing with the guy who committed suicide. There are plenty of ways to tell these parts of the story with out being so literal. I think TV as a whole has gotten way too graphic. Same thing with GOT. Way too graphic for me. I do not think things were this graphic even 10 years ago. Hah, I sound like an old fogey but I get to make choices and I choose not to watch that stuff.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
^ Yes, X-Files was not particularly gory, more creepy-weird. CSI was a show that I stopped watching because it became just over-the-top gore, done on purpose but not particularly necessary. But I admit I'm not consistent, since I go in for shows like Walking Dead etc.

Christy

Angel Diva
For comedy, I'm enjoying Aziz Ansari's Master of None. I watched the first Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and will keep watching that too.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
DH and I dropped cable a few months ago and have been using the Roku. We have subscriptions to Netflix and Hulu, as well as CBS online or whatever it's called. Anyway, we've gotten hooked on The Good Wife. I think I saw some slices of episodes before we dropped cable and got intrigued. No gore to speak of, and what's really shocking - the plot never hinges on stupid decisions by the characters. Their decisions always make sense or are consistent with that character. Somewhere between the fourth and fifth seasons there are some plot developments that are annoying me and I find distracting from the core plot of the first three seasons, but I'm still watching.

We started watching Longmire on Netflix. I like it better the more I watch it, but we got derailed by The Good Wife. Longmire initially comes across as yet another police procedural, just in the "wild west" - but it's done some really smart and relevant things like addressing difficult political issues with native americans on the reservation. I don't recall how much gore there is. I do find it difficult to believe that this small town in Wyoming has murders every week, and his "taciturn hyper-competent hard man with a heart of gold who refuses to communicate with the people he loves" bit does get a little old.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna