• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What to watch? (need streaming series suggestions)

altagirl

Staff member
I hear ya... this is a whole new mindset to watching things. "Get paramount for a month to watch all the Star Trek stuff". DH doesn't' like to stack episode but I am having to retrain him.
Same. I canceled Paramount, Disney and Apple recently and am waiting for their content to build up again. I'm looking forward to the new season of Picard and Boba Fett but they'll have to wait.

I'm watching Derry Girls now which some of you recommended here and I'm dying laughing.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
New and final season of Derry Girls starts airing in the UK this upcoming week, although I haven't seen a date yet for when it's coming to Netflix.

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
New and final season of Derry Girls starts airing in the UK this upcoming week, although I haven't seen a date yet for when it's coming to Netflix.
Very excited about another season of Derry Girls - that and series 13 of Taskmaster.

Also, if you enjoyed Derry Girls, you might like another sitcom called We Are Lady Parts - it's kind of Derry Girls meets Bend it like Beckham meets This is Spinal Tap.

Amie H

Angel Diva
Very excited about another season of Derry Girls - that and series 13 of Taskmaster.

Also, if you enjoyed Derry Girls, you might like another sitcom called We Are Lady Parts - it's kind of Derry Girls meets Bend it like Beckham meets This is Spinal Tap.
And maybe it's already been mentioned, but "Father Ted" (available on Tubi, Filmrise, and a few other "free" streaming networks) is an absolute scream. It's from the 90s I believe, and was a wildly popular sitcom in Ireland, kinda like Seinfeld was here. Father Ted-isms are quoted often in my family!

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Thoughts on Sanditon (PBS)? I loved Downton Abbey, Poldark. I do love historical but The Gilded Age (Juilan Fellow's new show) isn't cutting it for me. Please don't suggest Bridgerton or Outlander, BTDT hated both of them.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another Korean series I enjoyed: Squid Games. Gory but good, and good actors.

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And maybe it's already been mentioned, but "Father Ted" (available on Tubi, Filmrise, and a few other "free" streaming networks) is an absolute scream. It's from the 90s I believe, and was a wildly popular sitcom in Ireland, kinda like Seinfeld was here. Father Ted-isms are quoted often in my family!
I've not watched a lot of Father Ted but I still use the 'small and faraway' explanation whenever I can... :smile: Must watch the rest at some point!

Lmk92

Angel Diva
I'm struggling to like Rafi. Every time she calls him JL, I cringe. I'm liking it, but not loving it. I'm a sucker for time travel stories and Star Trek (TNG in particular), but I miss the alien of the week.

ETA: Oops. I didn't realize the post I was addressing was from last Sunday! I did realize there always a Next button available, lol

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thoughts on Sanditon (PBS)? I loved Downton Abbey, Poldark. I do love historical but The Gilded Age (Juilan Fellow's new show) isn't cutting it for me. Please don't suggest Bridgerton or Outlander, BTDT hated both of them.
I love Sanditon but I love anything remotely period and/or Austen. I actually think S2 is better than S1. Liked Downton Abbey, LOVED Poldark.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I didn't hate Outlander or Bridgerton. Outlander the TV series peaked in S1 and I never read the books. Read the Bridgerton books. Meh on the series, but I liked Benedict, Colin, and Francesca's books. Hated book Eloise, which is a shame b/c I LOVE TV Eloise. But the books are just meh overall. But I'm 100% here for Colin and Pen.

ETA: Anthony's book is WAY better than Daphne's, but I'm not sure it plays out in the series.

gingerjess

Angel Diva
ETA: Anthony's book is WAY better than Daphne's, but I'm not sure it plays out in the series.
I'm glad I'm not the only one with that opinion! It was my favorite of the books, but I feel like, while the chemistry was there, the inner character development didn't play out as well in the show as it did in the book!

newboots

Angel Diva
I enjoyed my way through Bridgerton - in an eating-ice-cream-with-whipped-cream sort of way. Very pretty, very fluffy.

I liked Outlander until suddenly I couldn't take it any more. Far too many episodes where someone was facing being hanged. I made it through Season 3 but ended 4 abruptly. I find the suspense makes me tense!

newboots

Angel Diva
Re Outlander series...I made it partway through 2. Maybe it's because I've been in therapy/recovery for 20 years, but all I could think of is "Clare busybody. Control freak, no boundaries....
So true!

I kept trying to chalk it up to her feminism - compared to those around her, she had a modern idea of the role of women. And training as a doctor! But in fact, she was such a know-it-all, often obnoxiously so, that it was irritating. Not just medical advice, but military strategy and all sorts of areas where it was quite unlikely.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I enjoyed my way through Bridgerton - in an eating-ice-cream-with-whipped-cream sort of way. Very pretty, very fluffy.

I liked Outlander until suddenly I couldn't take it any more. Far too many episodes where someone was facing being hanged. I made it through Season 3 but ended 4 abruptly. I find the suspense makes me tense!
I refer to books like the Bridgerton books as "brain candy."

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

fwiw, the American/colonial seasons (last two) are my favs next to season 1.

altagirl

Staff member
I'm curious what you don't like about The Gilded Age? I've really enjoyed that one.

I'm totally with you on Outlander though. I mean I get that in a sense the whole premise is how difficult it would be as a modern woman to deal with all these historical situations and the whole Cassandra concept that you know things but no one will listen. It's such a great idea for a series. But Claire's decision making annoys me to no end, particularly her recklessness with regards to the safety of others who are trying to help her. LOL I don't want to watch shows where I want to yell at the main character and ask what the hell she is doing all the time.

altagirl

Staff member
I refer to books like the Bridgerton books as "brain candy."
Totally. It's entertaining to watch, largely for the costumes but... such fluff.

Dickinson is sort of an offshoot of that. Comedy period series with modern music and language... which is weird but oddly entertaining. But then still actually fairly accurate under all the silliness. Though I enjoy shows where they make me want to dig up the history of what really happened.

LOL and the most unlikely candidate for that category is Our Flag Means Death. Which I assumed was Taika Waititi being ridiculous... and it's actually based on a true story. Which does make it funnier - but it's just basically slapstick.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly