• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What to watch? (need streaming series suggestions)

Christy

Angel Diva
I watched a couple episodes of Julia and was trying to figure out what is true and where they took liberties. It sounds like there are quite a few liberties taken but I'm still unsure how much of the narrative really happened.

My Life in France is such a good book! Nora Ephron adapted part of that for Julie and Julia.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I watched a couple episodes of Julia and was trying to figure out what is true and where they took liberties. It sounds like there are quite a few liberties taken but I'm still unsure how much of the narrative really happened.

My Life in France is such a good book! Nora Ephron adapted part of that for Julie and Julia.
I did a Google search, and found at least 3 articles discussing that exact topic.

Christy

Angel Diva
Right, and it's clear the producers made up quite a bit in service to storytelling and trying to put it in historical context. But as a viewer and a Julia Child fan I can't help but wonder, did that thing I just saw in this episode really happen? For example, did the taping of the pilot really go like that?

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I've actually been considering trying to search for old episodes of The French Chef -- it must be available somewhere. Otherwise, I've decided to allow for artistic license and just enjoy the story. The articles I've read indicate that most of the major details are historically accurate, anyway.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
We are currently enjoying The Mandalorian. I resisted for a long time as I thought it must be for kids, but it isn't. Way too violent for littles.

I asked my uber-nerdy son what the deal was with it. He's prone to long explanations so I specifically asked for one or two sentences. "A bounty hunter captures baby Yoda, goes on the lam, and they have adventures". Perfect. It's really fun.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
We are currently enjoying The Mandalorian. I resisted for a long time as I thought it must be for kids, but it isn't. Way too violent for littles.

I asked my uber-nerdy son what the deal was with it. He's prone to long explanations so I specifically asked for one or two sentences. "A bounty hunter captures baby Yoda, goes on the lam, and they have adventures". Perfect. It's really fun.
If you enjoy the Mandalorian, you'll also enjoy The Book of Boba Fett, which gives us more info and background on Boba Fett, the famous bounty hunter from Star Wars, and ties into events from The Mandalorian. Note that "Baby Yoda" is not really Yoda, but another one of his species whose name is Grogu.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
If you enjoy the Mandalorian, you'll also enjoy The Book of Boba Fett, which gives us more info and background on Boba Fett, the famous bounty hunter from Star Wars, and ties into events from The Mandalorian. Note that "Baby Yoda" is not really Yoda, but another one of his species whose name is Grogu.
No spoilers! :nono:

jthree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We loved Mandalorian but don't think Book of Boba Fett is as well done, at least so far (we've only watched 2 episodes). It's still fun to be in the Star Wars world and exploring these offshoot stories.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
We loved Mandalorian but don't think Book of Boba Fett is as well done, at least so far (we've only watched 2 episodes). It's still fun to be in the Star Wars world and exploring these offshoot stories.
It builds, and definitely left me wanting more.

NWSkiGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
These aren't shows I'd normally watch, but I've been sick so I've needed some new shows to binge. I streamed all of Manifest and Travelers, and they were pretty good...

Amie H

Angel Diva
If you have Disney+, "Summer of Soul" is a movie that recently won an Academy Award. Great music is featured, and also offers a look at a different side of culture/politics in 1969 from the POV of the residents of Harlem and other under-represented communities of color around the US at that time. I love 60s music (even though I'm GenX, not a Boomer) so I loved it.

Amie H

Angel Diva
I feel like Boba Fett is a tad slower paced than Mandalorian. But I'm always looking for something my sci-fi-loving spouse will watch with me, so it's been our evening reprieve all week. We got Disney for a month so we have to hustle and get it done.

Speaking of Mandalorian, the actor who plays The Mandalorian, Pedro Pascal, is AWESOME in season one of "Narcos" on Netflix, which is a few years old by now, but if you haven't seen it, it's riveting! Be advised that you will be reading subtitles through some of it. It's about the DEA operation to take down Colombian drug lord, Pablo Escobar in the 1980s. My husband and I really enjoyed it. Season 1 is the strongest.

That said, we canceled our Netflix awhile ago. We only buy a single month of a given streaming service once a complete season of a show or a particular movie is available that we really want to see. Then we focus on content of that provider for the month.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I only really enjoyed the back half of Boba Fett. You'll see why when you get there. :laughter:

Narcos was sooo good! Highly recommend. I watched all seasons, including Narcos: Mexico. Also, Wagner Moura, who plays Escobar, was fantastic. Love Pedro Pascal. Looking forward to seeing him in HBO's The Last of Us and of course more Mando.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
That said, we canceled our Netflix awhile ago. We only buy a single month of a given streaming service once a complete season of a show or a particular movie is available that we really want to see. Then we focus on content of that provider for the month.
I hear ya... this is a whole new mindset to watching things. "Get paramount for a month to watch all the Star Trek stuff". DH doesn't' like to stack episode but I am having to retrain him.

Amie H

Angel Diva
I hear ya... this is a whole new mindset to watching things. "Get paramount for a month to watch all the Star Trek stuff". DH doesn't' like to stack episode but I am having to retrain him.
Speaking of Paramount, what did you/your spouse think of "Piccard?" My Trekkie hub wasn't wild about it. (I didn't watch with him.) He does enjoy re-watching the old TNG episodes, though.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
I watch Picard out of habit. The new characters just don’t grab me. Neither does the plot, though I have my theory of where the story is going. I do enjoy watching John de Lancie. His Q is so delicious.

Anyone watched Lower Decks? DH finds it hilarious. We’re both looking forward to Strange New Worlds.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly