• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What to do in Montreal?

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
(inspired by @diymom's suggestion to go eat poutine in another thread...)

I'm headed up to Mont Tremblant with a snowboarder friend for one day next Friday, but in case the conditions stink, my backup plan is to bop around Montreal a bit. I normally go and just wander around Rue Ste Catherine and Old Montreal.

After Mont Tremblant, we'll stay in downtown Montreal over night before driving back to Vermont. We have dinner reservations at an izakaya in Old Montreal and plan to have breakfast at Allo Mon Coco (a fun Canadian breakfast chain with lots of fruit on all their dishes - I wish we had this in the US!) But aside from that, I feel kind of clueless. I've never been able to really get a feel for the city.

What else should I be doing? Does Jean Talon Marche have any ready-made foods to taste, or is it all produce? I heard Mile End and Mile Ex are cool, mostly vintage shopping and music stores and that sort of thing but I've never been. What other fun places in the city should I go to?

alison wong

Angel Diva
1. St. Viateur Bagel on Ave. Mount Royal - I always go to this location when I visit Montreal, it is not a flagship store but location is easily accessible via metro.

2. China town - nothing special about this Montreal China town but just my thing to go. Whenever I visit a city has China town, I check it out.

3. I like Ketchup flavor potato chips, very difficult to find it in the U.S. Whenever I go to Canada, I stock up.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'd try to wrack my brains for places I liked when I lived there for a year, but it was so long ago that I'm sure everything has changed. I tried that last month when my 22 year old asked where to go in Brussels. Very depressing to find out that the Brussels I knew (granted, it was a good 3 decades ago, but still) doesn't exist anymore :(

Jilly

Staff member
Sorry, but when I go to Montreal is for work or dragon boat. We really don't get to tour around and it's always been fall/summer. The old port is beautiful, but maybe not this time of year. But there should be some Christmas displays of some sort.

Other than that, I'm passing through to get to somewhere else.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I've emailed my gang and so far have a couple of things. One is a poutine place called la Banquise. http://labanquise.com I'm not a poutine fan but apparently this is a famous place. (Shows how out of the loop I am). The same person said Jean Talon Market would be fun. The other event is a retrospective exhibition by a friend. Sorel Cohen at Galerie Vox - exhibit is titled "Métaphores Conceptuelles". She's a photographer but I believe this might include some sculpture. Google "Sorel Cohen Galerie Vox" for details.

I'll see what else they suggest.

KimarieSnow

Certified Ski Diva
(inspired by @diymom's suggestion to go eat poutine in another thread...)

I'm headed up to Mont Tremblant with a snowboarder friend for one day next Friday, but in case the conditions stink, my backup plan is to bop around Montreal a bit. I normally go and just wander around Rue Ste Catherine and Old Montreal.

After Mont Tremblant, we'll stay in downtown Montreal over night before driving back to Vermont. We have dinner reservations at an izakaya in Old Montreal and plan to have breakfast at Allo Mon Coco (a fun Canadian breakfast chain with lots of fruit on all their dishes - I wish we had this in the US!) But aside from that, I feel kind of clueless. I've never been able to really get a feel for the city.

What else should I be doing? Does Jean Talon Marche have any ready-made foods to taste, or is it all produce? I heard Mile End and Mile Ex are cool, mostly vintage shopping and music stores and that sort of thing but I've never been. What other fun places in the city should I go to?
Take a food tour! We go to Canada every year (usually the week after Xmas) and foodie tours are awesome! Just search for food tours and you’ll find a bunch. The tour will take you to several great restaurants - no reservations required. You’ll get to taste small bites of the restaurant's best and they typically pair with cocktails! You can’t beat a food tour anywhere in Montreal or Quebec! Have fun!

Jilly

Staff member
I dont't want to be a downer, but that might be hard in Covid times. Not sure what the restrictions are and there could be capacity limits. So reservations are really recommended anywhere.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I dont't want to be a downer, but that might be hard in Covid times. Not sure what the restrictions are and there could be capacity limits. So reservations are really recommended anywhere.
Yeah, I’m definitely planning on making reservations wherever we go!

KimarieSnow

Certified Ski Diva
Oh geez! You’re so right! I didn’t even think of that…well, definitely look into it because many of the restaurants have outdoor seating. Prior to covid, we sat in “outdoor igloos” because it was fancy and not covid-necessary.

Attachments

• 4410873E-0343-4C5F-B870-87D2E18C511A.jpeg
    4410873E-0343-4C5F-B870-87D2E18C511A.jpeg
    516.9 KB · Views: 3

KimarieSnow

Certified Ski Diva
Hello @KimarieSnow - We are glad to have you and your good ideas! Where do you like to ski?

:welcome:
THANK YOU!! I’m from NYC originally. Moved to NJ 16 years ago to marry/procreate. I grew up skiing Mt. Snow/Killington. I’m a northeast skier all around - hitting up the smaller mountains these days with my two sons. Hunter, Okemo, Whiteface… any places we can drive to for a full day of fun or a fast weekend if we can find a room to rent. Where we live, we can be in NYC for a Broadway show on Saturday and hit the slopes Sunday at a fairly decent mountain. I feel very lucky. I also like Beaver Creek, CO but you can’t drive there in the morning and be back to let the dogs out by evening! ☺️ I joined the blog to connect with other ladies like myself and talk snow. I feel like so much has changed over the last 30 years, ski-wise (eek, that makes me feel old). Thank you for the warm welcome. ❤️

Christy

Angel Diva
@ilovepugs do you have the border stuff figured out? I will be interested to hear about your experiences since we have a Whistler trip planned. Scuttlebutt here in WA is that a lot of people are getting selected for random testing at the border, but they give you an at home test that you can either do via proctor or at a drugstore when you get to your destination. The rules say you are supposed to quarantine until you get results but I'm confused about that part. It doesn't seem like they are making sure you do that.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Heard back from another Montreal friend who says ...

... the Karsh photography exhibition at the art museum is wonderful = both the art and the stories beside each picture of the sitting.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Heard back from another Montreal friend who says ...

... the Karsh photography exhibition at the art museum is wonderful = both the art and the stories beside each picture of the sitting.
Gonna check it out! Haven’t been to the art museum there in a while!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly