• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What to demo for an intermediate ski diva?

Littlesonique

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Heading back to Deer Valley and am demoing again...
are Stöckli’s over my ability? Any Volkis? Rossignol? Head Absolute Joys? I figure, I’m paying the same no matter how much the skis cost, so I might as well get the best that I can handle. :thumbsup:

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It depends on which Stockli you like, it may not be exactly the same cost as the rest on your list. I have the Laser AX and they were $1500 out the door. There are different models for different ability levels so not all Stockli are for advanced/expert skiers only. Here’s an example:
I know an older guy who rides the same AX as mine, but he is more of a mid-intermediate skier who enjoys easy groomed runs only. We talked about why we liked our skis and he said he loves his because, unlike most carving skis being stiff, the AX are flexible so it is easier to maneuver/turn. I, on the other hand, prefer stiff skis. I love my AX because of how stiff they are when I am carving and how much stability and edge control I get from them. I also find them very versatile that they are flexible enough to take me into moguls. We are both talking about the same skis but with opposite opinions. How can a pair of skis be both flexible AND stiff? Well, it has to do with the turtle shell technology that Stockli has (google it for more technical explanations). Basically the skis changes stiffness depending on pressure applied to them. The skis are flexible when entering or exiting a turn, but given enough pressure during a turn, the turtle shell locks up to make the skis stiff. So, the skis are not exactly over the abilities of this older skier but he doesn’t have enough abilities to “unlock” the full potential that these skis has to offer. I’d think there are other less expensive options for him if he prefers a softer/more flexible ski, but money wasn’t an issue for him and he is perfectly happy paying a premium to use only half of his skis’ potential.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Remind us . . . what are you skiing? What have you liked as demos? Not liked? Looking for skis for groomers or more all-mountain?

When I first demo'd the Stöckli Laser SC (in PA, very short runs), I didn't except to be able to handle it. My coach at my home hill had it. Well . . . it was a lot of fun. The next year the rep suggested I demo the Stormrider 85. As it turned out, I really liked them. Didn't invest in a pair until after I had a chance to rent for a day out west, but it was the two short runs that got me thinking seriously about them.

For skiing out west, I suggest the Head Total Joy as well as the Absolut Joy.

Littlesonique

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had K2’s Alluvit 88 last time. It was good for groomers and trees. Looks like it should be same conditions this time. I couldn’t tell you what they gave me before since I wasn’t looking to buy skis and was clueless. I might just try a new pair each day but don’t want to strap myself to a pair of skis that is way over my ability level
:ski2:

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Littlesonique Sorry I read your post wrong. You are paying the same for the demo so you want to try the best. The dangerous thing is IF you end up liking Stockli, you may have to actually buy them:goodluck:

Littlesonique

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Littlesonique Sorry I read your post wrong. You are paying the same for the demo so you want to try the best. The dangerous thing is IF you end up liking Stockli, you may have to actually buy them:goodluck:

Hahahahahahaha. So true! I’ll add it to my Christmas list right under the LV skis so my husband will see the Stockli’s as a bargain :rotf:

mustski

Angel Diva
Give the Volkl Yumis a shot. They are quite versatile and may be right up your alley. They will hold an edge on groomers and also help out in chop, some powder, and varying spring snow conditions.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I had K2’s Alluvit 88 last time. It was good for groomers and trees. Looks like it should be same conditions this time. I couldn’t tell you what they gave me before since I wasn’t looking to buy skis and was clueless. I might just try a new pair each day but don’t want to strap myself to a pair of skis that is way over my ability level
:ski2:
Well, if you liked the Alluvit 88 then you might like the same all-mountain skis that I prefer. The brands I liked as an intermediate included K2, Rossignol, and Dynastar. A few years later, after working on technique taking lessons at my home mountain and at destination resorts, I still liked those brands plus Blizzard Black Pearl, Head Joy line, and Nordica. The brand that I usually find too much work is Volkl, with the exception of the older Yumi (no metal), which has essentially been replaced by the Kama.

Having just demo'd the Nordica Santa Ana 88, I would say that's well worth trying out. The Head Wild Joy, 90 underfoot, might be worth considering.

I demo skis at free demo days when I have a chance more to know what to rent, than what to buy, especially for trips out west. I used my first all-mountain skis (75 underfoot) for 3 seasons as an improving advanced intermediate before starting to look for the next skis that would be more versatile off-piste.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hahaha! This is exactly what happened to me!
I will never demo again unless I really really need to buy! I did it because my husband wanted new skis and demo was free at my mountain for season pass holders. He found none but bought me 2 pairs of Kastles. A few weeks later I demo for a lesson and ended with with the Stockli. Never again!

I still remember my husband saying at the beginning of the season that we each can spend $1000 on new skis for this year. Yeah, I went WAY over...

MissySki

Angel Diva
I’d just say to be open minded in your demoing, and not get wrapped up in thinking more expensive skis necessay equals “best” for you or in general. I’ve demoed and subsequently bought many skis over the years, price has never been a criteria for me one way or the other, it’s all about what you like and what stands out once you’re on it. I buy the ski I don’t want to get off of, and can’t stop thinking about later. Have a starting point list, but don’t be afraid to deviate from it once demoing and seeing what you do and don’t like. Ski preference is very subjective. Have fun, and let us know how it goes!!

valli

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’m at deer valley and we are selling my daughters 154 Yumis for $175 if you are interested in lightly used. We are leaving Sat. She shot up so we bought the 161 Yumis. Great ski for intermediate-advanced. I think Jans has them to demo.

Littlesonique

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’m at deer valley and we are selling my daughters 154 Yumis for $175 if you are interested in lightly used. We are leaving Sat. She shot up so we bought the 161 Yumis. Great ski for intermediate-advanced. I think Jans has them to demo.

Thanks for the offer. I do like the Yumis best out of all I tried. But I’m 5’9” and need 161s

Hope you were able to ski in all this fog today!!

Littlesonique

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It was pretty bad, we went to snowbird and I think it was even worse there. Jans has a few pairs of new Volkl Yumis and had the 161s for $300, sweet deal.

Ohhh. That’s a good deal! Thanks!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly