• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: What skis to take to Jackson Hole?

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@RuthB

THANK YOU!

Shoot, I know you are a great skier, and now I am worried that I am bringing too much ski. Sure would get me down to that 50 pound max, which I am struggling to not go over, if I switched to my shorter lighter Salomon Stella 106s instead of heavy long Rossi S7s 110's, though I don't love how the Stellas ski. Tough call. I will rent skis if it does not snow and I want to hit the bumps. What dimensions are your widest powder boards? Are those your 105's? Some friends bring nothing under 120 underfoot to Japan!

I have heard that it had not been a stellar year so far. Warm and dry for Japan. We are skiing a number of areas, including 2 days at Niseko. Picked places with tree skiing on purpose. Kamui Ski Links, Asahidake, Rusutsu, Niseko, and Myoko Kogen.

Have the insurance that covers OB, and for those days we have guides booked. All japanese guides at the suggestion of a local friend who leads trips there and has heard of issues when OB with a non native guide and rescue services.

Thank you again for your input.

RuthB

Angel Diva
@snoWYmonkey bring the 110's. Life is too short to ski on skis that you don't love. And you'll be out the gates skiing. Yes105 is the widest that I have - it's the only ski that I have since we have to fly for 99% of our skiing. They are RMU apostles and I think that I just don't love them. I'm also beginning to think that the 105 zone might just be a sub-optimal compromise, not a powder ski and not a groomer ski. Part of my problem is that I just don't like how they ski.

If not a great season means that the powder is knee to thigh deep rather than chest deep I can live with that.

I'm on the bus so will post more later if I think of it.

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I skied the Santa Ana's for the first time in actual real snow. And with the right amount of canting on my boots. That. Was. Bliss.

I'm starting to think they may be my go-to in JH instead of the kenjas at this point. I'll take both, but Holy crap I didn't expect to fall in love all over again.

Courtmorrio

Diva in Training
@snoWYmonkey have you ever found an adequate replacement for the old Rossi S110? My bindings recently broke on mine and realistically its time for a new pair of skis, but I cant find anything that seems to work as great for a true all-mtn ski...

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@snoWYmonkey have you ever found an adequate replacement for the old Rossi S110? My bindings recently broke on mine and realistically its time for a new pair of skis, but I cant find anything that seems to work as great for a true all-mtn ski...
Not yet...sad face. I want try the Bent Chetlers 120, as they might ski like the s7s which for my length were 115 underfoot. Also curious about DPS full rockers. Demoing the Bent Chetlers before end of this season .Let's keep in touch.

Courtmorrio

Diva in Training
Tried the Enforcers, but i didn’t find them playful enough in the trees. Fantastic on big open snow and on groomers though... hoping the Santa Ana’s are the ticket. Also tried the Fischer Rangers and Elan Ripstick- both fun skis, but not the whole package. Planning to try the Sheeva 11 this week.

RuthB

Angel Diva
A couple more random thoughts - not related specifically to skiing.

1) packing cubes - Japanese hotel /apartment rooms are very small compared to North American hotels and condo's and storage is limited to non-existent. So rather than being able to open our bags flat on the floor we had to unpack.

2) away from ski fields it has been very uncommon to find public toilets with hand dryers or towels. Japanese women seem to carry a face cloth / in their bags to use to dry their hands.

3) if you have an in resort day at Niseko, the An Deli, 50 or so metres down the road from the Hirafu gondola terminal (cross the carpark and walk straight down the road) is a great spot and where many of the instructor's eat - good range of pastries, sushi and more substantial fare.

Christy

Angel Diva
A couple more random thoughts - not related specifically to skiing.

2) away from ski fields it has been very uncommon to find public toilets with hand dryers or towels. Japanese women seem to carry a face cloth / in their bags to use to dry their hands.

And you can buy little handkerchiefs/hand towels at souvenir shops. They make fun and useful souvenirs. I got some with a Shina Inu and some with baseball themes.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
i have the 2018-2019 santa ana 93 and the 2017-2018 dps zelda 106.

i totally understand how you are in love with the SAs all over again! they're an amazing ski. i think they are definitely something special.

the dps zelda alchemist 106 was great this past week in deep powder. almost half my compatriots were on the dps yvette 112 though, one was on the tour version. we had one day of warm conditions, with sludge-y pow, and they did just fine. i really liked the zelda. but it seems like the 112 was the pick for deep pow.

i think it's a good idea to rent the wider widths, but decide on which ones when you are more certain about the conditions.

good luck!!

marzNC

Angel Diva
the dps zelda alchemist 106 was great this past week in deep powder. almost half my compatriots were on the dps yvette 112 though, one was on the tour version. we had one day of warm conditions, with sludge-y pow, and they did just fine. i really liked the zelda. but it seems like the 112 was the pick for deep pow.
How tall/heavy were the people on the Yvette? I've been on the Yvette at Alta/Snowbird and enjoyed it, but for most powder storms I think the Zelda would be enough for me given that I'm petite. Especially for resort skiing because the Yvette is not that much fun on groomers.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
They were about my size to slightly bigger/taller. I'd say heights ranged from 5'1" to 5'7" and weights from 110 lbs to 150 lbs.

Ah yes. there were no groomers here as it was all backcountry and mostly powder skiing with some variable off-piste conditions for a day or so.

Sparky

Angel Diva
@snoWYmonkey so exciting to go to Japan! I went early February last season with my 108 Big Joys and I never wished I had anything narrower. It snowed pretty much everyday and we had a guide through Japan Ski Tours. They took us to Niseko, Rusutsu, Kiroro, Kamui, and Poipu. We didn’t get to go to Asihidake because it was too snowy and windy for the lifts to operate the days we would’ve gone. Lots of tree skiing and at least a couple of resorts we were able to go OB only because we had a guide, so it may be the same for you. We had booked a day of cat skiing after the tour and hit Niseko again on our own since it was on the mountain collective. What a blast, would definitely go back! Hopefully the conditions improve by the time you get there!

Courtmorrio

Diva in Training
Has anyone tried the Line Pandora 104? I just found a good deal and am tempted to just buy them after reading reviews
@SquidWeaselYay did you find the Santa Ana’s playful enough? The enforcers were a bit to stiff in tight quarters for me. LOVED them in big open snow though... hoping for a combo of the playful Ripstick with the stability of the Enforcer.... is it the Santa Ana??

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@SquidWeaselYay did you find the Santa Ana’s playful enough? The enforcers were a bit to stiff in tight quarters for me. LOVED them in big open snow though... hoping for a combo of the playful Ripstick with the stability of the Enforcer.... is it the Santa Ana??
I found that to be so. They aren't AS playful as the Ripstick, but the gain in stability is worth it to me. I took them in some moguls and did better than I've done in bumps on any other ski.

slyfox4

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Has anyone tried the Line Pandora 104? I just found a good deal and am tempted to just buy them after reading reviews
I ski the 95s (now 94s for this season). A friend of mine has the 104s and she’s in Japan skiing that Japow with them! I think they might have changed the wood core which could affect performance, but it might be unnoticeable if this is your first Pandora. I absolutely LOVE my Pandora’s. They’re fun, surfy, playful. They’re good on groomers and even better in a some New England powder so I’m sure the 104s would treat you well!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly