• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: What skis to take to Jackson Hole?

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hello!
I tied the knot with my husband this past October, and we are planning our honeymoon in Jackson Hole at the end of January. I can only take two sets of skis, which is inducing some panic because I usually take my whole quiver wherever we go. My options are:

Santa Ana 93: just got this ski last year, have only been on it a few times. I like how it performs in slush, but since I am an East coast girl, no idea how it does in pow.

'18 Black Pearl 88: More playful, but not my go-to ski. To be honest, not really sure if I love this ski or not. Husband got them for me for Christmas last year, and while I'm comfortable on them, I think I miss the metal I usually have in my skis.

' 17 Kenjas: My go to, tried and true security blanket. I feel the most comfortable on these and have the most control. They are my ice shredders, but I know that west coast is different, so they may not be the best choice.

I've been out west before, but not since I was 19. Haven't been to JH since I was 14, so I can't remember enough to make an informed decision.

Anyway, I'd love to hear the opinions of the Divas. I'm driving myself nuts trying to decide!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Since you can take 2.. I'd take the Kenja's your tried and true ski for groomer days and to acclimate to the Mt. they'll be fine up to 4-6" I think having a trust worthy ski for skiing new terrain is what you want. Hmm the Santa Anas or the Pearls.. you'll want the surf and width if there's a storm. sounds like you like the SA's better so I'd vote for them if you liked them in slush you'll love them in piles of powder! Congrats on your marriage and honeymoon skiing!! Have a blast!!

marzNC

Angel Diva
My suggestion would be the Kenjas and the Santa Ana 93. If there hasn't been a recent snowstorm, JH will be just fine with Kenjas. I did a trip to JH in late January that turned out to be almost like spring skiing for a couple days.

Perhaps @snoWYmonkey will stop by with advice. She's a long time instructor at JH.

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you! I wasn't sure if the pearls would be better than the kenjas. I've heard they do better in soft snow than kenjas, but I've never had the opportunity to test that. The only place I have skied the black pearls is my tiny home mountain.

If it dumps powder (we hope so), anybody have any suggestions for pow sticks? I was looking at DPS or Black Crows to rent for a day, or the Icelantic Maiden 101. But I've never skied powder with pow skis before.... Just the old school straight skis when I was a kid.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thank you! I wasn't sure if the pearls would be better than the kenjas. I've heard they do better in soft snow than kenjas, but I've never had the opportunity to test that. The only place I have skied the black pearls is my tiny home mountain.
BP88s do great in assorted snow conditions at big mountains for a lot of women. There are also women who aren't so impressed. If you are more comfortable with the Kenjas, that's what matters more.

If it dumps powder (we hope so), anybody have any suggestions for pow sticks? I was looking at DPS or Black Crows to rent for a day, or the Icelantic Maiden 101. But I've never skied powder with pow skis before.... Just the old school straight skis when I was a kid.
My go to powder skis are DPS. Usually the Nina 99, but I'll go wider if it's really deep. Have also liked the Zelda 106. Took the Yvette 112 out one morning just for fun, but that's really a bit too wide given that I'm petite. It was only good in the deep powder and not much fun on the groomers in between. That afternoon I got the K2 LuvBoat @163 and that was good.

The brands I usually ask for when renting powder skis from the Alta Ski Shop are DPS, K2, Nordica, and Dynastar. That's based on which brands they happen to carry. I was happy with Blizzard BP98 at Taos with 9 inches of fresh snow last season. In general, I get skis 100-105 underfoot. My Alta instructor prefers I stay narrower at 100mm for off-piste lessons.

Hope you get lucky and need to rent powder skis!

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@marzNC thanks for the great info! I hope I can find a shop that demo's or rents DPS I am dying to try them. We don't get them on demo day where I live, and it's hard to find a place in my neck of the woods to rent them.

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It is also good to know that being petite can mean that wider isn't better. I am 5'1 and 126, so not a waif by any means, but short enough that leverage (or lack thereof) is a factor in my boot saga. I never thought of it before, but it makes sense that it might make super fat skis tough to manage.

Christy

Angel Diva
I decide what skis to take right before I go on a trip. There is just no way to know right now if you'll be skiing hardpack or powder. Fingers crossed for powder, and congrats on your wedding!

marzNC

Angel Diva
@marzNC thanks for the great info! I hope I can find a shop that demo's or rents DPS I am dying to try them. We don't get them on demo day where I live, and it's hard to find a place in my neck of the woods to rent them.
Yep, not going to find DPS powder skis the mid-Atlantic. Easiest to find DPS skis in Utah because the company is based in Salt Lake City.

One reason I got to rent the brand new 2018 DPS Nina 99 Alchemist in April 2017 was that DPS left their demo skis at Alta Ski Shop after the Alta Demo Day (Sat in early April). Alchemist replaced Pure. Usually the DPS demo skis are sold well before late season from that shop. They pro-rate the price based on how often a pair of skis have gone out. Doesn't take long in an average season before someone snaps up a pair. Can also find used DPS skis in the Utah consignment shops.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Double congrats! Jackson Hole and a honeymoon, great combo.

I would for sure bring the Kenjas if that is your go to ski and you like its ice performance. We get the gamut of conditions, and lately the groomers have been rather firm. Not sure if it makes sense to even bring two pairs unless you really like the 93 underfoot in slush compared to the 90 underfoot in slush. If the weight allows it, I would bring the slush puppies too. Otherwise save the extra weight money and rent a ski in the 105 to 115 range depending on how much it snows while you are out here. Rent a different one each day (hope we get multiple pow days in a row) and you'll know what type of powder ski you like both length, width and camber wise. Holler if you want more suggestions...off to teach, day 22 of a 23 day stretch!

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Double congrats! Jackson Hole and a honeymoon, great combo.

I would for sure bring the Kenjas if that is your go to ski and you like its ice performance. We get the gamut of conditions, and lately the groomers have been rather firm. Not sure if it makes sense to even bring two pairs unless you really like the 93 underfoot in slush compared to the 90 underfoot in slush. If the weight allows it, I would bring the slush puppies too. Otherwise save the extra weight money and rent a ski in the 105 to 115 range depending on how much it snows while you are out here. Rent a different one each day (hope we get multiple pow days in a row) and you'll know what type of powder ski you like both length, width and camber wise. Holler if you want more suggestions...off to teach, day 22 of a 23 day stretch!

Thanks for the tips! Wow, that is a LONG stretch of teaching!

Weight does allow me to bring two sets, since I am taking my boots in my carry-on. I love love love my kenjas, but when the crud and slush is particularly gnarly, they do tend to toss me around and tire me out after a while. Nothing I can't manage, but the Santa Anas do float over it better and absorb some of the variability.

Practicality wise, not sure what I will end up actually doing while there. We are staying in the town, so whatever skis I end up taking to the mountain will probably be my skis for the day. And when in doubt, I always choose kenjas, so now that I am really thinking about it, not even sure how much I would use the Santa Anas. Gah, I overthink everything!

Any suggestions on powder skis? I'm 5'1, 125lbs, muscular, and aggressive advanced. I tend to like longer, stiff skis (kenjas are 163), they feel more stable to me so I get forward a lot better on them. I've heard good things about DPS Yvette and Black Crows Atris Birdie. But I have never skiied a pow ski, being from PA we usually only get "loose granular" and the occasional cement-like snow.

I'm soooo hoping for some of that iconic JH powder! DH has never been out west before, so he's in for a treat. He snowboards, so I think he is going to have a blast in it with his flexy Burton Barracuda.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey again! I think Nomads at the Village rents DPS and TVS rents black crows. If powder is forecasted rent them the night beforw to avoid morning madness rental scene.

I am 5'4", 130 and prefer a ling soft full rocker powder ski in the 175 to 178 range, no wider than 115. I usually switch out mid day as I hate moguls on fat skis...anything over 100.

I still use my 2010 S7s and have yet to find a good replacement. Most powder days I ski my mantras. Would consider a Nestle bmx 105 range. I love stiff carvers, but find stiff powder skis too plank like.

There is a demo tent by casper lodge where you can switch skis throughout the day, though pickings qould be slim on powder days.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Any suggestions on powder skis? I'm 5'1, 125lbs, muscular, and aggressive advanced. I tend to like longer, stiff skis (kenjas are 163), they feel more stable to me so I get forward a lot better on them. I've heard good things about DPS Yvette and Black Crows Atris Birdie. But I have never skiied a pow ski, being from PA we usually only get "loose granular" and the occasional cement-like snow.
I'm about your height and 10-15 pounds lighter. Like DPS skis a lot. My go to ski for powder under 15 inches is the Nina 99. That's what my Alta instructor prefers when I luck out and can get a powder lesson. The next fatter model is the Zelda 106. The Yvette is only good in deep snow so that not the best idea if you're going to end up on groomers more than 10% of the day.

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'll be in Jackson in March and am having a similar dilemma about what skis to bring. Last time I was in Jackson (2010 or so) it dumped and I hated the skis I had with me; Rossignol Attraxion Echo which is 75 millimeters underfoot. Now my every day skis are Head Great Joy (98 underfoot) but just got the Big Joys which are 110 underfoot. I know I'll be happy with the Great Joys but do I want the Big Joys instead? They are the skis I got for powder days and would love to try them out in powder. I am flying in so don't want to take two pairs. I guess I could always rent if it really dumps.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would look closely at the forecast before coming out. Check out mountainweather.com a forecast by local meteorologist Jim Woodmency. He looks at various elevations. I would probably bring the 98s. By March it can be frozen early and deep slush in the pm. As you said you can rent. Same dilemma for me as I plan my first trip to Japan...bringing my big guns but dreading non powder days on them. PM me if you have more JH questions.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Lucky girl to have so many choices. I have only ever had one pair of skis at a time.
I keep skis that get less than 10 days a season, if I love them, for ten to fifteen years. My daily drivers last about 2 seasons with apx 150 days on them. I have to teach on skis appropriate for conditions, and theme, which varies from deep pow, to all bumps, to race course. Thankfully, I get good deals and seek them out. I also resell skis that I don't love. Many colleagues have a huge quiver up to 12 pairs. I have race (new used this year) rock, teach narrow, teach mid, fat, uber fat. Might ditch the fat or uber fat next year for super fat light enough to tour.

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
+1 to renting if it dumps. Pow skis get expensive, and if they’re only used a few days a year, it’s hard to get a lot of value out of them until you need to remount for new boots or new technology brings a lot of better options to the table.

Here in the PNW, there’s a lot of love for DPS models (loved by experts and people just starting to dabble off piste alike), Atomic Backland 102 & 109, Soul 7s. I also love my Atris Birdies and the Salomon QST Stella was a really fun demo!

jskis190

Certified Ski Diva
Most days I am fine with my one set of skis. I normally ski a variety of terrain every day. I might try renting powder skis if we get a good powder day. Going to Jackson Hole in February. First time back in 30 years. I probably ski better now, but certainly don't have 30 year old legs anymore.

RuthB

Angel Diva
I would look closely at the forecast before coming out. Check out mountainweather.com a forecast by local meteorologist Jim Woodmency. He looks at various elevations. I would probably bring the 98s. By March it can be frozen early and deep slush in the pm. As you said you can rent. Same dilemma for me as I plan my first trip to Japan...bringing my big guns but dreading non powder days on them. PM me if you have more JH questions.

@snoWYmonkey we're just finishing up the ski portion of our trip to Japan. We've based our skiing in Hokkaido, split between Niseko and Furano. I was skiing on 105's and wished that I had narrower more all round skis with me. The powder up here is super light - no whipped cream bow wave when you ski through it. It is like skiing air.

A couple of things to consider, based on our very limited experience:

1) where are you skiing and most importantly what is the resorts approach to tree skiing. At Niseko trees were in'-bound so we skiied then a lot. At Furano they are all roped off as out of bounds or outside of the resort boundary. This means no patrol, no avvy control and potentially no travel insurance cover.

2) check you travel insurance cover and clarify if necessary what is covered. It may cover out of bounds if guided.

3) the powder gets tracked pretty quickly.

4) the Japanese are mostly on piste skiers and the groomed areas are very well maintained and generally not icy.

5) black runs are ungroomed and left to naturally bump up.

Hope you have a fabulous trip.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna