• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What should I replace my S7s with?

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a pair of S7s that I think are 2011s based on my recollection. They work great for me- but I’ve skied them about 25 days a season for 8 years and I think they have lost some spunk.

I’m not a gear head at all - and I keep stuff forever.

What should I replace them with? I ski trees and bumps at Mary Jane mostly. Comfortable on double blacks. Need to keep up with DD who is giving me a run for my money.

Mine are mounted AT with Barron’s but I’m thinking of mounting alpine. I know nothing about alpine bindings- so appreciate any input.

Help me so I can go back to not thinking about this for another decade.

MissySki

Angel Diva
The Nordica Santa Ana line could be worth looking into, I think they’d have a similar feel. I have the S3 and have demoed the Santa Ana 93 and 100, there is also a 110 that I haven’t gotten to try yet.

marzNC

Angel Diva
@Moonrocket : remind us of your ht/wt

I demo'd the Santa Ana line last season. Agree they are worth considering. The SA93 was good in assorted snow, from groomers to fresh powder to cut up powder at Bridger the day after a fluffy powder storm that dropped over 10 inches. The SA100 wasn't good off-piste but not fun on groomers. However, I only took a couple runs at the end of the day and they only had the 153cm, which is too short for me. I'm 5'0, 112 lbs, older, solid advanced.

If your willing to spend the money, DPS skis are really nice. So are Stöckli Stormriders. I bought the Stormrider 85 a couple years ago and there is the Stormrider 105.

I was on the Rossi Soul7 HD from 2017 at Big Sky in heavy fresh snow and had a very good time in deep powder. Did a fair amount of tree skiing those three days. Stats are 136-106-126, R17, @162.

The Icelandic skis at Alta Demo Day in April were interesting. But I couldn't try them at the correct length except for the Oracle 88 @155, 126-88-108. Very much like the BP88, which I like as well as the BP98 @152.

MissySki

Angel Diva
@Moonrocket : remind us of your ht/wt

I demo'd the Santa Ana line last season. Agree they are worth considering. The SA93 was good in assorted snow, from groomers to fresh powder to cut up powder at Bridger the day after a fluffy powder storm that dropped over 10 inches. The SA100 wasn't good off-piste but not fun on groomers. However, I only took a couple runs at the end of the day and they only had the 153cm, which is too short for me. I'm 5'0, 112 lbs, older, solid advanced.

If your willing to spend the money, DPS skis are really nice. So are Stöckli Stormriders. I bought the Stormrider 85 a couple years ago and there is the Stormrider 105.

I was on the Rossi Soul7 HD from 2017 at Big Sky in heavy fresh snow and had a very good time in deep powder. Did a fair amount of tree skiing those three days. Stats are 136-106-126, R17, @162.

The Icelandic skis at Alta Demo Day in April were interesting. But I couldn't try them at the correct length except for the Oracle 88 @155, 126-88-108. Very much like the BP88, which I like as well as the BP98 @152.

I was actually really impressed with the 100s on groomers and in bumps omg they turned on a dime! However, I was on them in the afternoon at the Sunapee women’s day so the snow was beautifully soft with no ice to be found so I can’t comment on how they’d feel on firmer groomers. One thing to note for me is that I tend to like skis in the mid to high 90s range as daily drivers in the Northeast even on ice so I may be biased. However, the S3 is downright scary on real ice, so the S7 may be the same lol. The S3 used to be my soft snow ski and probably still would be if they weren’t too short to float me in powder. Their ability to turn on a dime is what I equate with the Santa Ana series, and I found the 100 way more stable on groomers than the S3 which is what also peaked my interest.

I’m 5’4” ~130lbs and demoed the 161. It does worry me if that would be too short in powder, but the next length is 169 which is a bit longer than I’d want in trees and bumps potentially. My sweet spot is usually the mid 160s. Hope I’ll get an opportunity to try the longer size to check it out, wish I’d stayed out and done one more run to try them the day I demoed but I was beat.

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
The SA100 wasn't good off-piste but not fun on groomers.
Ack . . . didn't re-read. I meant "The SA100 was good off-piste" but not on groomers. I would rent the SA100 for a powder day but have a couple other brands that I would ask for first.

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you ladies!!!

I’m 5’6” about 140lbs

I do have a pair of Kastles I bought from another diva I can pull out for groomers or when the bumps are good on coverage or harder but I use the S7s most days since they are so robust if you hit something. (The Kastles are white with blue on them- no idea the model but I like them too)

Living in CO ice isn’t really something I deal with much (I tend to Nordic ski if the conditions at the mountain are sub-par). I’m spoiled- I grew up in New England- so I know:-)

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the S7's as a daily driver - they're a great ski. I demo'd the Blizzard Sheeva 10 (102 under foot) last year and loved it - has that similar reliable but fun feel of the S7. Maybe one to try if you can?

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And bindings - I have Look Pivots on a couple of pairs, which are supposed to offer more knee protection, and Salomon STH on another pair - which have the advantage of being very easy to get into in powder, and feel very solid.

MissySki

Angel Diva
The Sheevas are another good recommendation. I have the 9 and love them! I demoed the 10, but it was a very hardpack/icy day so didn’t get to play in ideal conditions for them. They held an impressive edge for their width in those conditions though.

I have been doing the Attack 13 on my newer skis.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Really going off the deep end here but I see the 2019 Sheeva 9 on sale for $384 no sales tax to CA. and once again I'm tempted.... think the 2019 Sheeva 10 on sale as well which might be a good replacement for your S 3's. Or the Rossi Soul 7's.

mcmary

Certified Ski Diva
Have a look at the Black Crows Atris Birdie. I skied S3's as my daily for 8 years. For the last 3 years I've been demoing and could never find anything I liked better. Last year I demoed 10 skis in one day and the only one I was really wowed by was the Atris in 178. They were a handful because that's definitely not my size but I learned enough to take a chance. I found a pair of 2018 Atris Birdies in 160 and took a leap of faith and ordered them. I LOVE them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna