• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What is your bootfitting prep?

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No, I actually ski at Sunday River in Maine (I know total opposite direction from me in MA lol, not as far though.. 2.5 versus 4 hours each way).. But I've continuously made the trek to go back to Torin whenever I have an issue now because I haven't found anyone closer that has been anywhere near as good or better where I live or ski. Literally other bootfitters CANNOT figure out how to deal with my forefoot. Torin has dealt with that on 3 pairs of boots for me now perfectly when I was left in immense pain from everyone else who couldn't fix me after repeatedly trying to. It is SOOOOOOOO weird to me that others can't do this for me. Shame on me for not going to him sooner to start fresh versus having him be the fixer only. Hopefully we can get it right on this one. He's always been very patient with my antics and didn't even charge me the last few times I was there. I think he's just been waiting until I came to my senses and actually did this with him lol.

When I announced that I was finally ready to get new boots (would have been last year if it weren't for the Covid travel restrictions in VT) his response was that he couldn't wait to build me a pair of boots. I found that such an interesting way of putting it. Build.. And then when I was trying to figure out a time to head up he was like the earlier the better, it's going to be a long day! It all just gives me confidence that we are not going to leave any stone unturned and that we are both aware that out of the box is not anything that will ever work for me. It's going to take a bunch of work for sure.
Sounds like you definitely have the right guy there.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’m surprised nobody has mentioned a basic step to get ready- a pedicure. Well, maybe not a full pedicure, I’ve never had one of those. But the real basics, toe nails short, any calluses from going barefoot over the summer taken care of. And once you’ve done that if you want to mess with your boot fitter, pick out a fun colour for your nails so you can say that you are hoping for a pair of boots just that shade… ok, maybe skip that last step if you want to be taken seriously at the fitting.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I’m surprised nobody has mentioned a basic step to get ready- a pedicure. Well, maybe not a full pedicure, I’ve never had one of those. But the real basics, toe nails short, any calluses from going barefoot over the summer taken care of. And once you’ve done that if you want to mess with your boot fitter, pick out a fun colour for your nails so you can say that you are hoping for a pair of boots just that shade… ok, maybe skip that last step if you want to be taken seriously at the fitting.

Ahh yes, this is a biggie actually!! 1) Having nails as short as possible in ski boots is a must for me and 2) I feel self conscious having people study and touch my feet if they aren't looking their best. I definitely plan to take care of this, and probably will get a pedicure the day or two before if possible.

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks! I did emphasize this to him, so we'll see what he comes up with. I mean, it might end up that I need some type of aftermarket liner etc. since I've never found a boot small enough in that area. We'll see though, I'm so curious to see what he tries putting me in. I was even thinking today, hmmmm could I ever fit into a 22.5?? lol I really doubt it though.

I have zipfits in my ski boots and they have been a revelation! My stock liners were too loose and sloppy within 20 ski days. I now have big "pump bumps" on the backs of my heels as a result. My fitter put me in zipfits after that, and I've gone back a couple of times to get additional material added to the heels of the liners to tighten them up. Worth the cost if you have small feet imo.

I also have a non-existent instep. I've had bootfitters tell me that volume measurement they do with the tape measure that starts behind the heel, goes up and around the ankle, then back down to where it started is extremely small. Grrr.

My bootfitter raised up my foot by adding a shim under the bootboard, then had to modify the shell around my foot in spots to provide appropriate space for my knobby parts.

Funnily enough I kind of have the opposite problem. Was talking about this with my fitter just a month or so ago when I went in to get some more liner material added to my zipfits. I have a high instep in comparison to how narrow my heels are, and if my heels have too much room, they kinda move around regardless of the instep being crushed.

brooksnow

Angel Diva
Wishing you good luck!

Two seasons ago my boots were literally falling apart because two years of searching had not lead to any boots that could be made to fit. Trips to the hardware store's aisle of little drawers full of parts and pieces kept me skiing. I so understand the struggles of the hard to fit foot, although my problem is the exact opposite with insteps that are so high that some boots split open across the top even with the bootboards completely removed. It's always something.

Perhaps a trip to Vermont next time I need boots!

newboots

Angel Diva
My ski club has invited this guy to come speak at our meeting:

In our newsletter: "Don't bring your boots to the meeting." :rotf:

I'm excited! Otherwise I would have to go back to Vermont for new boots, and if they need adjusting that's just a big pain. (And no, this is not the shop where I work.) Shhh!

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@MissySki just a thought from one who transitions every winter from being barefoot a lot to stuffing my foot into ski boots, have you tried on the old boots? Not sure how much your wearing shoes on a regular basis? Could temporarily change the width. I alway think my boots are sooooo tight in the beginning of the season......

MissySki

Angel Diva
@MissySki just a thought from one who transitions every winter from being barefoot a lot to stuffing my foot into ski boots, have you tried on the old boots? Not sure how much your wearing shoes on a regular basis? Could temporarily change the width. I alway think my boots are sooooo tight in the beginning of the season......

I actually just skied indoors at the end of July, and was surprised not to feel constricted by my boots. That might show how packed out my boots are come to think of it! I have often felt this the first day or 2 of the season, though usually it’s more the arch support of my footbed that feels off to start. Can be an annoyance all the way up to horribly cramping feet,

What would you do to combat this potential? Start wearing ski boots in the house a little bit before my appointment perhaps?

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm a control freak and always make a point to go to each manufacturers website and research what the current narrow and low volume boots are. That way if they don't pull a particular boot for me, I can ask why or if I can try it anyway. This step is especially important if I was starting from scratch/trying to find a new fitter as that way I am also armed with knowledge so that if they pull a wide boot for my feet, I would know to go elsewhere. I have a narrow foot pencil foot and when I was just starting out was fit into a wide boot that packed out after like 5 days---so having been burned before now I always try to go with as much knowledge as to what option might be available to me as possible.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I'm a control freak and always make a point to go to each manufacturers website and research what the current narrow and low volume boots are. That way if they don't pull a particular boot for me, I can ask why or if I can try it anyway. This step is especially important if I was starting from scratch/trying to find a new fitter as that way I am also armed with knowledge so that if they pull a wide boot for my feet, I would know to go elsewhere. I have a narrow foot pencil foot and when I was just starting out was fit into a wide boot that packed out after like 5 days---so having been burned before now I always try to go with as much knowledge as to what option might be available to me as possible.

I've been doing that too haha, but more because I am so obsessed with the topic currently versus that I don't trust this bootfitter. I DO like the idea of being able to ask about something if it isn't brought out as an option as you mentioned.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What would you do to combat this potential? Start wearing ski boots in the house a little bit before my appointment perhaps?

Wearing the boots a bit could work - as odd as it seems, I have a prior injury to the soft tissue on one foot near the Metatarsal-phalangeal joint (what would be called a tailors bunion but its not a bunion) that frequently changes size depending on shoes/ activities etc. I have found that if I KT tape it for support for a few days before I ski my boot fits better and it doesn't bother me as much....... I do this for trail hiking also....

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We used to suggest ironing in your ski boots, but who irons clothes any more??
I iron all the time. Consider me old fashioned or maybe too aware of wrinkled fabrics; but I genuinely feel that clothing looks 100% better, lasts longer, and creates a finished appearance to even the lowliest of t-shirts . Maybe that is one reason I was the wardrobe mistress at our local college for all the touring performers and troupes. Yeah, Steamstress to the Stars. LOL

Jenny

Angel Diva
I seriously cannot remember the last time I ironed – except when waxing skis! If something needs ironing, I don't want it!
Exactly! The wrinkle test is something I do before I even consider buying something.

newboots

Angel Diva
Exactly! The wrinkle test is something I do before I even consider buying something.

I don’t have an iron. I do have a steamer, but I confess I don’t use it. I didn’t mind ironing, it was dragging out the ironing board, waiting for the iron to heat, keeping large pieces off of the floor, and waiting for it all to cool off before putting it away. Too many steps!

Plus, the awful sound the board makes when you open or close it!

MissySki

Angel Diva
I’m happy to see I’m not the only one who doesn’t really iron. I do when necessary, but that’s NOT often.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly