• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

what is the right size for me

snowburgh

Certified Ski Diva
Hello, i have been demoing skis for some time. I have a great opportunity to grab some of the 2021 Stockli Nela 88, and was wondering what size - 152 or 160 cm. Unfortunately, i could not demo them. here is some background
  1. 5'0", 100 lbs. Aggressive at times - but not always. I can ski anything, and consider myself experienced - maybe not expert since i have not had a lesson since 1985 :smile:
  2. I really like a damp ski, but the Kenja and the MindBender were just not right for me in moguls. Both of those i was around the mid 150's. I liked the Santa Ana, but only had a chance to try the 100's at 153 cm. (Moguls and piste only). Moguls are 5% of my time, but my kids are there more frequently and i want to tag along.
  3. I demo'd the 166 Stormrider 88, and they were too long. I did take them through ice moguls with no problem, and they were such a sweet ski i had to get some of my own. However, they do not come in less than 166 now, so looking at the Nela.
  4. I ski out west 10 days min year. Mostly EPIC locations, or Alta (my uncle has a house there, so every other year that is my go to). I am in PA, but generally do my skiing in a different state
  5. Powder7 recommended to me the 160 Nela - said that in the crud i would likely prefer the 160 over the 152
  6. Most places recommend an ALL MOUNTAIN at your height (which for me is 152).
so, for all you folks out there who ski ALL MOUNTAIN, are you at height or would you think that +8cm would be fine for me?
Has anyone tried the Nela or the older Storm rider to recommend a size?

Much appreciated!!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Welcome! What's your home mountain in PA? Although I live in NC, my home mountain is Massanutten in northern VA.

I'm also petite, 5'0", 110 pounds, over 60, solid advanced. I fell in love with the Stöckli Stormrider 85 a few years ago. I bought the 159cm since my other all-mountain skis were that length. For context, I haven't liked Volkl skis when I demo. The brands that work well for me are Rossignol, Blizzard (BP88, BP98), K2, and Nordica. I like Head Absolut line for east coast skiing. I have the Absolut Joy, 78 underfoot @148cm. Went shorter for the relatively small local mountains that are essentially all groomers.

• 5'0", 100 lbs. Aggressive at times - but not always. I can ski anything, and consider myself experienced - maybe not expert since i have not had a lesson since 1985 :smile:
  1. I ski out west 10 days min year. Mostly EPIC locations, or Alta (my uncle has a house there, so every other year that is my go to). I am in PA, but generally do my skiing in a different state
  2. Powder7 recommended to me the 160 Nela - said that in the crud i would likely prefer the 160 over the 152
  3. Most places recommend an ALL MOUNTAIN at your height (which for me is 152).
so, for all you folks out there who ski ALL MOUNTAIN, are you at height or would you think that +8cm would be fine for me?
Since you are interested in bumps, there is something to be said for sticking with the shorter length. Really depends on what the priority is between skiing out west and skiing in the east.

When I was doing a Taos Ski Week a few years ago, I ended up demo'ing the BP88 @145cm. I thought I was getting the 152cm. But @santacruz skier (also petite and over 60) had those that day. We were in the same advanced lesson group. Given that the focus was on technique related to skiing bumps more efficiently, the shorter length made sense to our instructor. She hadn't been happy the day before when I had K2 skis that were 156cm.

Alta happens to be my favorite destination out west. I stay at Alta Lodge annually in April to meet up with friends.

snowburgh

Certified Ski Diva
Welcome! What's your home mountain in PA? Although I live in NC, my home mountain is Massanutten in northern VA.
Hmm. I have skied Black Bear, Blue, Elk mainly due to proximity for a day trip when my kids were younger. I am in the Philly area, but don't really have a HOME MTN at the moment.

I would be rate the interest in moguls less and less every year ... would you trade in the Stockli 85 for the 152 or are you really happy with them at 159?

marzNC

Angel Diva
I checked out Elk a couple times when my daughter was at boarding school up in Lake Placid. Also met up with a few Divas at Montage. So have some idea about skiing in that region. My friend @Olesya Chornoguz is in the Philly area.

I've been taking advanced lessons pretty regularly in recent years. Didn't start even thinking about skiing off-piste until after my daughter was clearly getting better than I was by age 11 due to spring break trips to Alta. She's in college now. I started skiing with friends who enjoy bumps, trees, and generally more 3D terrain and that made a big difference too.

At this stage I'm quite happy with the Stormrider 85 @159. Have developed strong enough technique to have a good time in fluffy powder even 15+ inches deep, bumps, or tight trees. They also work great at speed on groomers out west. I don't use them in the east at all. When fresh snow is a bit heavy then I rent powder skis that are 100+ underfoot.

newboots

Angel Diva
Hello, @snowburgh ! Glad to have you here! It seems like you'll have lots of good ideas for us, in addition to getting answers for your questions.

:welcome:

lucy

Angel Diva
I’m also a fan of the Stockli 85 Stormrider, 156 cm. They are my everyday driver. I have a Stockli 95 Stormrider but it is too stiff for off piste.

snowburgh

Certified Ski Diva
thanks guys! i am gonna order the 160. I head back out west either Mar 4 or late March. Not sure where yet ... maybe Breck, Sun Valley, Tahoe. Ill let you know how it works out

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I skied the Nela last year in a 160 and it did not ski short IMO. In fact, I was highly surprised at how much I liked it in that length. I'm 5'5" and prefer my skis in the mid-160s length. It ate crud for lunch. Really nice ski.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I skied the Nela last year in a 160 and it did not ski short IMO. In fact, I was highly surprised at how much I liked it in that length. I'm 5'5" and prefer my skis in the mid-160s length. It ate crud for lunch. Really nice ski.

I got the 161 Stormrider 85 and really like the length. The other option was 168, I went back and forth a lot but I’m happy with it shorter too even though I also prefer mid-160s in most skis.

snowburgh

Certified Ski Diva
Hmmm. Now I am thinking of going down to the 152. thanks Bummer I cannot demo. Does anyone near Philly know of a Stockli Demo / Rental?

MissySki

Angel Diva
Hmmm. Now I am thinking of going down to the 152. thanks Bummer I cannot demo. Does anyone near Philly know of a Stockli Demo / Rental?

You might like the 160 just fine, especially given that you said you don’t spend a lot of time in bumps. That’s not a bad length with your stats. I should have also mentioned on my comment that I spend as much time as I can in bumps and trees (and I’m not great at them), so would not appreciate the extra length on this ski. I’m 5’4” 120lbs. My daily driver the Sheeva 9 is a lot softer, so extra length is appreciated more there since they ski shorter.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Hmmm. Now I am thinking of going down to the 152. thanks Bummer I cannot demo.

Couple thoughts of which way to go without demoing...

Both sizes will likely be stable at your height, weight and ability. The 160 will just give you that little "extra". If you "charge" through crud with large GS style turns, the 160 will give you additional stability and power to push the skis. If you find yourself finessing your way through crud and bumps, carefully picking your line (think more slalom-sized turns) the 152 will give you the maneuverability and quickness you'd want. East coast trees and bumps, I'd size down for added control. Big open powder fields on the west coast, I'd choose the larger size for added float and stability. Groomers will likely be fun on either size.

For what it's worth, I ski the Santa Ana 100 in a 169, and would hands down chose the 168. So if you were pretty happy with the Santa Ana in the 153, I'd probably lean towards the 152. If you found it unwieldly and too short...size up to the 160.

You can always contact Stockli directly through their website to obtain some direct feedback as well.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Both sizes will likely be stable at your height, weight and ability. The 160 will just give you that little "extra". If you "charge" through crud with large GS style turns, the 160 will give you additional stability and power to push the skis. If you find yourself finessing your way through crud and bumps, carefully picking your line (think more slalom-sized turns) the 152 will give you the maneuverability and quickness you'd want. East coast trees and bumps, I'd size down for added control. Big open powder fields on the west coast, I'd choose the larger size for added float and stability. Groomers will likely be fun on either size.
Put another way, go shorter for east coast skiing and longer for skiing out west on soft snow.

There is a reason that it doesn't take long for a Diva who flies to ski is very likely to end up with a quiver of at least two pairs of skis. :smile:

edelweissmaedl

Angel Diva
I bought the Nela 88s in 152. I‘m not sure how helpful I‘ll be, but I’m 5’3”, 110-115. I also own BP 78’s in 151. If I am skiing ’locally’ it’s in southern PA. I’m happy with them and their length, but 160 was never a consideration for me.

I’ve only used them in VT and in PA so far, but liking them so far! Planning on taking them to Taos next month.

SkiJen

Diva in Training
I bought the Nela 88s in 152. I‘m not sure how helpful I‘ll be, but I’m 5’3”, 110-115. I also own BP 78’s in 151. If I am skiing ’locally’ it’s in southern PA. I’m happy with them and their length, but 160 was never a consideration for me.

I’ve only used them in VT and in PA so far, but liking them so far! Planning on taking them to Taos next month.
Hi! What do you think of the Nela 88s versus the Black Pearl? I just demoed vokyls (secret/kenja) and didn’t love them, then grabbed a pair of stockli motion 85s (not knowing they aren’t sold anymore). Anyway, I’m now thinking of getting either the stockli nela 88s or black pearl 88s but may not be able to demo. I may have found a deal on the nelas that really reduces the cost difference. I’m on the east coast. I love steep blacks but don’t consider myself a technical expert. Any feedback on the nelas versus bp would be great!

How do you like the Nela 88s? I demoed the motion 85s while checking out some vokyls and fell in love with the motion 85s. But, they don’t sell the motions anymore. Anyway, I was considering the Nela 88s versus the Black Pearl 88 (assuming the deal I found on the Nelas is still there) and prob can’t demo anytime soon. Any feedback on the Nelas and BPs would be appreciated:smile:

edelweissmaedl

Angel Diva
I like my Nela‘s better than my BP‘s but my BP‘s are the narrower 78‘s (maybe 2018 model?) I bought them because I was was starting to feel like the BP‘s didn’t have great edge grip and tossed me around more, especially last season. I went to the store planning to buy the 80‘s since I currently really only ski groomers (and bumps when needed), but do hope to branch out. I do like blue‘s and blacks hence the edge grip concern. Because I already own 78‘s I got talked into the 88 Nela‘s. I was a little worried about my decision, but find them so far to have better edge grip, turn easier and power through snow better. The BP 88 is the popular one (not the 78) and it sounds like the new version is more beefed up so they may be much more similar. I think the BP actually has a shorter turn radius than the Nela. Maybe it’s the bindings or other factors but I also feel I am having less knee soreness with the Nela‘s (look pivot 12 bindings).

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am skiing the Nela 80 this season. I am 5'2 and 90 pounds. I ordered the shorter size 149 vs the 156 that is offered in this model. The 149 Stockli is almost three inches longer than the 149 on my Renoun Earharts, and more similar to the 149 Black Crows I have for powder. Wacky differences in lengths!
I felt that for an all-mountain ski the shorter the better for ME. The Nela has proven to be quite versatile and does not feel short at all. My narrower skis are between 154 and 157.

SkiJen

Diva in Training
I like my Nela‘s better than my BP‘s but my BP‘s are the narrower 78‘s (maybe 2018 model?) I bought them because I was was starting to feel like the BP‘s didn’t have great edge grip and tossed me around more, especially last season. I went to the store planning to buy the 80‘s since I currently really only ski groomers (and bumps when needed), but do hope to branch out. I do like blue‘s and blacks hence the edge grip concern. Because I already own 78‘s I got talked into the 88 Nela‘s. I was a little worried about my decision, but find them so far to have better edge grip, turn easier and power through snow better. The BP 88 is the popular one (not the 78) and it sounds like the new version is more beefed up so they may be much more similar. I think the BP actually has a shorter turn radius than the Nela. Maybe it’s the bindings or other factors but I also feel I am having less knee soreness with the Nela‘s (look pivot 12 bindings).

SkiJen

Diva in Training
Thank you! The nelas I found are demos, so the two price points are close! It sounds like you are happy with the nelas... my current skis are old and just passed the binding expiration so I need to buy. I have been skiing since a kid but I don’t really like the woods. So bumps and groomers I think. It’s good to know about the edges! We do ski in NH when everything is hard pack a lot!

SkiJen

Diva in Training
I am skiing the Nela 80 this season. I am 5'2 and 90 pounds. I ordered the shorter size 149 vs the 156 that is offered in this model. The 149 Stockli is almost three inches longer than the 149 on my Renoun Earharts, and more similar to the 149 Black Crows I have for powder. Wacky differences in lengths!
I felt that for an all-mountain ski the shorter the better for ME. The Nela has proven to be quite versatile and does not feel short at all. My narrower skis are between 154 and 157.
Where do you ski and did you try the Nela 80 and Nela 88? I am 5 ft 3 in and was a 154. I tried the 160 and they were just too much ski for me for the steeps (I caught and edge twice in one run).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly