• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: What is it like to live in Utah?

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What she said. This seemed like news for a while after the state installed air monitoring stations in Logan over the past decade, but I don't think anyone living there was too surprised.

The air in Utah County and Salt Lake County is better than it was 30 or so years ago before the Clean Air Act was fully implemented (I'm sure the same is true for Houston), but it's still bad, especially for kids, the elderly, and anyone with any respiratory issues. I didn't even know I had mild exercise-induced asthma until I moved to Salt Lake and it got worse, and I know a lot of athletic folks who developed the disease after moving here and exercising in inversions or in ozone season. Then there are the thousands who spend the winter with "bronchitis."

But it's a heck of a thing to try to one-up each other on how bad our air is, huh?

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
litterbug said:
Here's a contrast: my LDS co-workers at my old job wondered why it wasn't scary for me to not be sure there's an afterlife because my background says it doesn't really matter because we're just supposed to do our best in this life and not expect a reward, and they have a really definite belief that they're going to be reunited with their loved ones. They were just baffled, but they cared a lot about me. My very straight and narrow boss is just very curious about my interpretation of the Torah ("old" testament) because he's spent time studying it from an LDS point of view.

I haven't brought this up because I do think it would be a negative for me, but I wouldn't want to raise kids here. This might have changed, but as of a few years ago, LDS kids go to 'missionary' for religious training for an hour or so in the afternoon and then come back to school for the rest of the day, which seems weird to me. There's an LDS teaching operation near almost every public school. There's also a lot of church and 'mandatory' family time which means that non-LDS kids have to make their own activities, often with kids outside their neighborhoods. Soccer is a big Saturday and Sunday activity for many families specifically because of that. Boy Scout and Girl Scout groups are also often separate. I don't think kids proselytize, but this would make me uncomfortable, and I'd probably want to put my kids in one of the Catholic schools or the large sectarian Jewish-run school downtown.

If there's a Diva with kids, they can say whether these things are still practiced, though.

I raised 3 kids here. Utah is a yang yang place. It is weird culturally but we have nature at our doorstep.

Mainly, the dominant religion tends to be clannish----not unlike other religious groups, but there are just so many of them here and the growing minority is drowned out.

There is a divide between Mormons and non Mormons and from about third grade on, the kids tend to segregate by religion. I have neighbors who have lived over the fence and down the street from us for 30+ years who do not talk to us or say hi to me in the store, even though our kids went to school together etc. but neighborhoods differ and some are more diverse than others, so that makes a big difference with kids. but then we have mountains and my kids grew up with their backyard of big cottonwood canyon----which posed other challenges and opportunities. In fact, growing up 12-15 miles from ski resorts, my kids were exposed to more diversity (and questionable lifestyle habits) than kids in other areas.

So, life behind the Zion Curtain is complex. I do believe it is hard for women moving in here in some professions, as men rule in many industries and in government. It is getting better than it was 10-20 years ago as more 'outsiders' move in, but Utah is about 10-20 years behind in social issues like gender and race. I have LDS friends and family and those comfortable with their religion are great. Some just do not want to mingle with those outside their ward (neighborhood church).

WhistleStop

Certified Ski Diva
Hi there...

I don't personally live in Utah, but I do have a good friend that lived there for about a year. He had spent a couple weeks in Utah biking in the summer and just fell in love with all the outdoor activities available. So, he packed his bags and moved there. Just to add some context, he did move there from the bay area in CA. A year later, he packed his bags again. Now I'm not saying Utah isn't a great to place to live, but if diversity is a key part of your decision making, it's something to consider. He had a really hard time making friends or feeling accepted there as he isn't a religious person at all. And he found that the few friends he did make, were always complaining about the conservative nature of the state. Which just felt like a lot of negativity for him. But once again, he's coming from the bay area! He's use to being able to walk down the street with tic tac boxes covering his body and nobody will say a thing. Apart from tourists taking pictures. But hey, they'd probably throw you some cash if you have a tic tac hat held out! haha. But yeah, I believe Utah has the most conservative city in the country. I don't recall which one it was though.

I'm going to second (or 10th? I don't know where we are at) the west coast. I mean if you could live in Canada, I'd suggest Squamish. You'd love it. But since I'm guessing that's not an option, there are numerous places in Oregon and Washington. California is pretty expensive, but nothing beats Tahoe in my opinion. I may be biased though having grown up in that area.

Bend, Oregon is pretty awesome. It's a mecca for outdoor activities. Tons of biking, rock climbing, rafting, and skiing in your backyard, of course. And it's not that big. The downtown area is really cute. And, it has a bit of a hippy meets money vibe. haha. I don't know how else to say it. Definitely doesn't feel like a city. Plus, it's easy to get to Portland if you're needing a dose of that. There are other places in Oregon that are obviously nice. But I suggest Bend because it's east of the cascades, so it's a bit dryer and warmer in the summer. But has snow in the winter. Which if you're thinking Utah, I'm guessing that's something you're into.

As far as Washington goes, I would want to stay close to Seattle if you're wanting it to be less conservative. Once you start straying too far from the major cities, you're going to find the same conservative nature as you do in other places. You don't have to drive very far east to be completely out of any sort of city vibe. Though I love Seattle, so I'm okay with that. But lots of little towns just 30-40 minutes east and of course skiing and and all that. Somebody suggested Bellingham, WA. Being a college town, it does have a more liberal feel to it. It's not my favorite town, but honestly, I mostly only shop there (the Canadian way). haha. And unless you are a diehard ski lover that isn't too picky, I wouldn't bother with the 3 local mountains in Vancouver. Just my personal opinion. Seymour is literally my backyard and I don't even ski there. They are just so small and still charge $60 for a lift ticket. Maybe if their prices matched the terrain.

I'm obviously have a west coast bias. I just can't see living anywhere else in North America. The whole coast is great too.... just for different reasons.

drjoyous

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I didn't even know we had this. I put detergent in and the dishes come out clean. Clean enough for me, anyway. Maybe it's the power of the pre-wash dog tongue. (Did I just ensure no one is ever going to dine at my house?)
Not me, that's for sure!
I have to say I second the PNW/Bellingham thing. My son is in Bellingham and it is very enticing...

mustski

Angel Diva
If you are moving somewhere new for the best skiing, then move where the skiing is best for you! Case closed. Anywhere you live, you will meet people who share you interests. For most of us, no matter where we live, our circle of close friends is relatively small. A few good friends is all anybody needs in a lifetime. The rest is just "fun fluff."

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you are moving somewhere new for the best skiing, then move where the skiing is best for you! Case closed. Anywhere you live, you will meet people who share you interests. For most of us, no matter where we live, our circle of close friends is relatively small. A few good friends is all anybody needs in a lifetime. The rest is just "fun fluff."

As a military spouse, I can say this is absolutely true! On that note, moving to Utah while still part of the military would be suhweet!! Then we could test the waters there to see if it's where we'd like to stay.

mustski

Angel Diva
As a military spouse, I can say this is absolutely true! On that note, moving to Utah while still part of the military would be suhweet!! Then we could test the waters there to see if it's where we'd like to stay.
I'd take Utah any day of the week! I know that I would find friends and my son would too!

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Bend, Oregon is pretty awesome. It's a mecca for outdoor activities. Tons of biking, rock climbing, rafting, and skiing in your backyard, of course. And it's not that big. The downtown area is really cute. And, it has a bit of a hippy meets money vibe. haha. I don't know how else to say it. Definitely doesn't feel like a city. Plus, it's easy to get to Portland if you're needing a dose of that. There are other places in Oregon that are obviously nice. But I suggest Bend because it's east of the cascades, so it's a bit dryer and warmer in the summer. But has snow in the winter. Which if you're thinking Utah, I'm guessing that's something you're into.

As far as Washington goes, I would want to stay close to Seattle if you're wanting it to be less conservative. Once you start straying too far from the major cities, you're going to find the same conservative nature as you do in other places. You don't have to drive very far east to be completely out of any sort of city vibe

I've lived in the PNW , non-coastal inland for over 20 years.
Bend is cool and outdoorsy and all that, but good luck finding a job. There’s exactly one ski area. If you move there, you have better bring your income with you. Bend lost 11,000 (yes, that’s thousand) jobs in 2011, with a population of 76,000.(from https://www.oregonlive.com/business/index.ssf/2011/06/oregon_cities_from_portland_to.html) Bend puts out the cool hippy vibe for sure, Deschutes Brewing and all that, but it’s 88% white, and still is a natural resource extraction based community underneath it all. There’s a lot of huntin’ and fishin’ in addition to “cool hippy vibe”. (ranching, logging, Forest Service/BLM)

As for the Inland NW ( East of the Cascades) .. really now. Have you lived here? Do you know anyone in, say, Spokane? Coeur d'Alene? Conservative is relative. I'm not going to attempt to define "conservative". It means too many different things to too many different people. I've lived in Chicago, the SF Bay Area, the Rocky Mtns (as in Central Wyoming, not Denver), and for the last 20 years, Inland PNW. Conservative isn't necessarily a bad thing. I think it's more important if we can all get along despite our differences. Sure it's less mixed skin color here, and the predominant vote may or may not be red, depending on which county you live in. I think anyone of any leaning can be comfortable here, and trust me, I’m definitely on the left leaning side of things.

The Inland PNW is relatively off the radar when people think of where to live for the outdoors, but I have 5 ski areas within 90 miles, world class rivers within several hours, 70 miles of single track within the city, and much more. We have a thriving gay community, all religions, lots of returnees from Seattle and elsewhere looking for a better quality of life than you get in a Big City, and of course our share of wackos. But who doesn't? The only things that are truly lacking are world class level culture as in opera, ballet and so on. Oh yeah, and a Whole Foods. Sure the vibe is Large Town instead of big city, but I’ll take that for everything else I’m missing.

Bottom line is there are always going to be tradeoffs when you are looking to relocate based on a specific desire. And, it's good to get your information on communities from a variety of people that have experienced them and not just magazines or one person's experience.

It can take years to integrate into a new community when you just pick up and move. I seriously doubt this is a California to Utah thing. It happens to most people when they relocate. In fact, I know it's not a SLC or Utah thing. Anyone who has made a significant move as an adult will most likely experience it to some degree.

Sorry for the novel. Where to move and why is a pretty broad topic.

GG

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Aside from my moves with the Park Service, I've moved to radically different places oh, I don't know, half a dozen times over the past 30 years, and you're right, it doesn't really even matter whether the place is ultimately a good fit, there's always a period of time where everything seems weird. Given my background, you'd think Salt Lake would have taken longest, but I accidentally fell into being a full time Zen student (whoops!) and settled right down, if that's what you'd call it, whereas it took six months to get settled in Durango when I moved there from Canyonlands/Moab.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Both of what you say is spot-on. When we first moved to Ohio (coming from the Seattle area, then Sacramento) I felt like I had walked into the twilight zone. People were just different! But then we got settled and while we didn't change ourselves, we learned to enjoy and embrace the differences (which are minor everywhere.) You learn to not be outspoken about hot-button issues. Same thing happened in Virginia. Being a horse girl, I spent a LOT of time with the rural Virginians who are very southern compared to their DC neighbors. So interesting! Also a thriving gay community there. Who would have thought?!

Having an activity (like horses, for me since skiing was not a big thing back east!) makes a huge difference as it instantly introduces you to people who share your interest.

As for Spokane--LOVE Spokane and always have. It's one place I would consider settling IF there were jobs there for my DH. My mom lives there now, and I'll be there this summer to spend some time with my mom and head to Priest Lake, Idaho. My family has had quite the hoe-down there EVERY summer since the 1950's. It's one of the most beautiful lakes I've ever seen. So yes, the outdoor activities are as abundant there as anywhere, with a pretty nice climate for the most part. Oh and minus the crowds! I'd much rather live there than the cold and dreary Bellingham, as much as I love the western side of the state. I was born and raised there but can't see myself ever going back, unless it's for summers only!

Christy

Angel Diva
Yeah guys but remember the OP has experienced living in places where the general culture does not match her values, and she's looking for a place that does. It may be true that a person can find their niche anywhere, but it sounds like she's looking for more than a niche. I can certainly understand that.

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah guys but remember the OP has experienced living in places where the general culture does not match her values, and she's looking for a place that does.
I think I was actually responding to someone else. Wandering mind, wandering off topic.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
back to OP
We prefer more trees and less people. Living in MT is great. There is skiing and a lot of outdoor-sy stuff to do. Very little light pollution. Missoula itself is a small city and fairly liberal. The rest of MT is primarily conservative or libertarian, but as spread out as we are, (literally more cows than people) most are willing to live and let live. So, I guess I am wondering, while UT is a fabulous place to visit and I am sure a great place for a lot of people to live, is it a good fit for my family? I am curious if UT is more like MT or NC?

I think what you'll find in most of the west, with the exception of the coastal cities, is that smaller cities/bigger towns are little pockets that are more liberal than the outlying rural areas. I've lived in several places in Colorado, several places in Wyoming and now eastern Washington, and this has been pretty consistent. If you add in a university ( say, Montana U or Boise State) things will lean a little more left than otherwise. After re reading the OP, I am not sure what she's after other than more trees and less people. LOL Was Montana too liberal or not liberal enough?

altagirl

Staff member
back to OP

I think what you'll find in most of the west, with the exception of the coastal cities, is that smaller cities/bigger towns are little pockets that are more liberal than the outlying rural areas. I've lived in several places in Colorado, several places in Wyoming and now eastern Washington, and this has been pretty consistent. If you add in a university ( say, Montana U or Boise State) things will lean a little more left than otherwise. After re reading the OP, I am not sure what she's after other than more trees and less people. LOL Was Montana too liberal or not liberal enough?

Yeah, if you're talking about the places in Utah where there are more trees and less people.... (There's lots of more desert and less people...) I'd agree with GG. Aside from Park City (which would be sweet but $$$) or Moab (which is kind of a bizarre mix of people all its own...), the farther you get into little towns, the more conservative it's likely to be. But in Utah you have the exception that Provo is completely dominated by BYU, so it's ultra conservative. And St. George is kind of like a big retirement community. It's the Florida of Utah anyway.

Christy

Angel Diva
I just learned an interesting fact about Utah from a nurse friend that just finished nurse anesthesiologist school in SLC. Apparently SLC is where most of the jobs in her field are because Utah has some of the highest rates of plastic surgery in the US, and it has the very highest rate of breast implants. Now I understand why I saw so many billboards for plastic surgery in Utah! I'm not sure I'd ever seen one before. She actually took a job in Buffalo rather than stay in SLC, though. She is not a skier.

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I had my appendix out at St. Mark's and told the docs and nurses that I was on my way to work in the Maze district for a summer they all got sooo excited, because that's why they'd moved here--climbing and hiking (and no doubt skiing too, though that didn't come up at the time)!

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I had my appendix out at St. Mark's and told the docs and nurses that I was on my way to work in the Maze district for a summer they all got sooo excited, because that's why they'd moved here--climbing and hiking (and no doubt skiing too, though that didn't come up at the time)!
(sorry, I'm just Off Topic Girl these days)

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I think it's really important not to use a broad brush, as there can be surprises, both good and bad, in all communities. My years in Wyoming (DH was in the oil field) really made an impression on me, a transplanted Norcal hippie-ish type, into central Wyoming during the Reagan/Watt years (oh, is that dating me??!!) For every redneck conservative, there were ranchers that listened to NPR via satellite, and sent their kids to Stanford. I met for the first time hunters that were stronger environmentalists than some of the tree-huggers I'd hung out with. Conservative environmentalists? What a concept. I had my share of bizarre experiences too: "Gollee, ain't never met a Jew before" and such silliness... but it's everywhere. Some of the most judgmental, self righteous and closed minded people I've ever met live in supposedly liberal and counter culture communities, not in rural/small town "red" areas.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly