• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What gas/food shops do you stop at on a road trip?

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Now you have me curious about your cookie standards ;)
For large gas station cookies, I like cookies that are baked enough they have a little crunch to them. The large cookies they have in Hooksett were spongy and chewy and didn’t have enough crunch!

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
These are my regular stops along the 6 hr drive to Mammoth.
Palmdale - Alice's for breakfast burritos, just 5 min off the highway.
Coso Junction rest stop for decent bathrooms.*
Lone Pine - Alabama Hills Cafe (breakfast/lunch) or The Grill for good food, McD's for fast food.
Fort Independence for cheapest gas, bathrooms, mini-mart.*
Big Pine - Copper Top BBQ (IMHO meh but it's popular).
Bishop - Mahogany Smoked Meats for great sandwiches.

*Food might vary, but bathrooms and gas are always on the itinerary.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used to do lots of road trip type trips. Not road trips from home, but trips where I'd fly into one state and drive for a week and fly out of another (Like fly into New Mexico and end up in southern CA---or fly to SLC and fly home from Rapid City SD---that type of thing).
We love Coco's Bakery for breakfasts and for pies. They are mostly in CA and AZ though.
Another chain I love is Snooze--also a breakfast place
For lunches "on the road" if it's an interstate, stopping at a chain we don't have around here (like In n Out burger for example, or something like that is fun for us). If we are on more local roads, we research in advance and might go with something more local (or not--I happen to love Burger King and Taco Bell so am perfectly happy with those).
Sometimes it's just easier to stop someplace you know what you're going to get---except one time in Worland, WY we stopped at McDonald's, and boy, that was the most disorganized place I've ever been--and I ordered one thing and got something completely not even on the menu. It was actually really comical and the food took 20 min to come out--and the person didn't know how to run the register as she was new. So much for knowing what to expect.

altagirl

Staff member
Bold move.
:rotf:

Perhaps surprisingly, they actually always seem very fresh in little sealed 2 packs at Maverik. I've never encountered any that didn't look and smell fresh when you open them.

But I'd be a wreck from a gas station cookie (gluten), so...

teppaz

Angel Diva
For large gas station cookies, I like cookies that are baked enough they have a little crunch to them. The large cookies they have in Hooksett were spongy and chewy and didn’t have enough crunch!
This would be a recommendation to me as I love chewy cookies.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
ok, so I guess others have the "pre ski trip gas station food cravings"..... working on an interior painting project listening to some Blister Podcasts seems its a 'thing'.....

on the way back yesterday made a stop for gas only (the mobil station next to @VickiK 's BBQ place in BP)
had a nice homemade sandwich and an ice cold Heineken 0.0 about 3 hours into my drive.....

marzNC

Angel Diva
Does anyone have an EV vehicle that influences where you stop on long distance trips? Tesla has teamed up with regional gas/convenience store chains such as Sheetz for their SuperChargers. Rivian is opening up the Rivian Adventure Network (RAN) close to parks.

Rivian R1T owners in Colorado are excited that RAN is starting out there. First one is in Salida, which is close to Monarch.

Christy

Angel Diva
ok, so I guess others have the "pre ski trip gas station food cravings"..... working on an interior painting project listening to some Blister Podcasts seems its a 'thing'.....

on the way back yesterday made a stop for gas only (the mobil station next to @VickiK 's BBQ place in BP)
had a nice homemade sandwich and an ice cold Heineken 0.0 about 3 hours into my drive.....
For some reason you jogged my memory of the Tioga Gas Mart. Probably all of the CA divas have been there. They have great fish tacos just east of Yosemite NP.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly