• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What gas/food shops do you stop at on a road trip?

marzNC

Angel Diva
A recent article about the revival of Stuckey's by the third generation made me wonder where people stop during road trips for gas, a restroom, and perhaps some food. I have my favorite regional chains in the east. Where do you stop when driving a few hundred miles in a day? Or taking a more leisurely road trip over a few days or weeks?

My parents did a lot of road trips when I was growing up in the 1950s-1960s. But we didn't stop at Stuckey's. We didn't snack while driving.

June 11, 2022
" . . .
But using everything she owned as collateral and taking out a life insurance policy with the bank as beneficiary, Ms. Stuckey, a lawyer and former Democratic Georgia legislator who was then 53, pressed on. In six months, she said, she returned one of America’s first roadside franchise operations — the prototype for today’s convenience stops — to profitability (barely), with an unexpected boost from road trippers, who took to their cars during the pandemic to avoid Covid. That helped rekindle the tradition of the family trip.
The pandemic business bump underscored a connection. “Stuckey’s peaked when the road trip peaked, and we plummeted when the road trip plummeted,” she said. The question was: How do you make that pay?
. . .
The pandemic, by shutting down public transportation, provided the key. “People started traveling by car again,” said Ms. Stuckey, whose stores experienced an uptick in sales. “I personally witnessed the connection people had with not just the brand but the road trip,” she said. “It’s hard to have an emotional connection with a pecan log.”

The romance of road trips provided the path.

With little money for marketing, Ms. Stuckey promotes the brand through her own road trips. She posts primarily on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, TikTok and LinkedIn, though she concedes that her YouTube game needs work.

She has posed for photos wearing a Stuckey’s “Eat Here and Get Gas” T-shirt, and has posted recordings of herself belting out Andrew Gold’s 1977 hit, “Lonely Boy,” in the car along with her best friend on Instagram. On her account, she has posted more than 1,600 neon signs, diners, tourist traps and quirky roadside attractions.

Although the pandemic resulted in an increase in road trips and revenue for Stuckey stores, that may not last. Building the brand, however, doesn’t require people to actually take road trips; they just need to identify with the road-trip lifestyle, much the way not everyone who wears board shorts actually surfs. It’s aspirational.

“Can I single-handedly revive the road trip? I can’t,” Ms. Stuckey said. “But can I put out stories that resonate with people on a personal level, then encourage other people to share their road trips? I think we can build a bit of a movement.”
. . ."

Jilly

Staff member
From home to Tremblant it's the Tim Horton's in Kemptville. (Or any Timmies really.) Gas up across the road, swing around the round-a-bout to Timmies, in and out, then out of town.

Amie H

Angel Diva
I never stop to "dine in" on road trips but when driving through Wisconsin, the rest stops on 90 & 39 are quite nice: large, clean, decent vending machines.

Kwik Trip is a regional chain of gas stations usually with expansive convenience stores. Sort of like a Wawa or SHEETZ but no hoagies-to-order. If in WI/MI/MN and there is a KwikTrip on the way, I usually chose that. They have usually have a huge coffee bar area, and decent breakfast sandwiches, pastries, and actual healthier snack options, too (mini carrots, pickles, cheese sticks, etc.) Can pick up adult beverages to enjoy on arrival wherever you are going, as well, although don't expect lots of fancy beers (but some microbrews on occassion!)

On the way to our cabin once we get off the highway, there is a truck stop called HOOPS that is convenient for gas (BP) , OK for bathrooms, and has a franchise for "Chester's Chicken" which is tasty fried chicken tenders and bone-in pieces. We often get it on the way to the cabin as an easy dinner option for when we arrive and have to unpack the car.

When I was a kid, we spent a month at the Jersey shore each summer with extended family. We used to make stops at Hardee's (drive through/takeout) and/or stop at GEETS diner on our drive from Delaware County, PA to Brigantine, NJ (beach.) It's only an hour and 15-20 minute drive now, but I guess it was longer before the improvements to the Atlantic City expressway. Keeping three kids fed/snacking probably helped squelch the "are we there yet?" inquiries.

Also as a kid, on the few occasions where we drove to Western PA, there were Howard Johnson'sall along the PA turnpike as the designated rest areas. We sometimes stopped for lunch because my mom liked the fried clams they were famous for. I don't recall ever getting orange sherbet there (another of their specialties) but did enjoy some sort of ice cream.

On a recent trip from Pittsburgh to Brigantine with my daughter, we stopped at a PA turnpike rest stop and got some Roy Rogers fried chicken to go. It was not as good as I remember it from my childhood - VERY salty! But more than actually hunger, I was curious and nostalgic so we gave it a try.

If driving from Chicago to the East, we try to hold off our stops until Ohio becuase their rest stops are much better than the ones in Indiana along 80. Some even have Panera's! WOW! LOL.

In the Chicagoland area, our rest stops are ABOVE the highway. Illinois has a few of these over-the-highway rest stops/dining areas/gas stations and they are called "OASIS." If you listen to Chicagoland traffic reports enough, you'll hear "Hinsdale Oasis", "Belvedere Oasis," "Lake Forest Oasis" as points of reference. On my way home from a beach day in Waukegan, I sometimes stop at the Lake Forest Oasis and get Sbarro to go because I actually really like some of their dishes. Me and Michael Scott! haha.

Last edited:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
We use McDonald's and fast food joints for bathroom stops, but not for food. Usually we'll go to Yelp and find a local place that has a decent rating and isn't too far from an exit. If there's a Wegman's (a regional grocery store) nearby, we'll stop there. They have a lot of pre-made options. And you can eat there or take out. Also, we very often take sandwiches in the car.

Amie H

Angel Diva
We use McDonald's and fast food joints for bathroom stops, but not for food. Usually we'll go to Yelp and find a local place that has a decent rating and isn't too far from an exit. If there's a Wegman's (a regional grocery store) nearby, we'll stop there. They have a lot of pre-made options. And you can eat there or take out. Also, we very often take sandwiches in the car.
McD's coffee is pretty good, though!

Amie H

Angel Diva
Oh geeze, I nearly forget our old routine when my daughter was little: on our way to the cabin was "the world's largest Culvers" so we would do a bathroom break, and get food to go in the car, and next door we'd gas up the van. We had a lap desk for her to use as a dining table and she'd sit in her captain's chair and watch a DVD with headphones on while my husband and I would listen to episodes of "This American Life" or similar in the front of the cab.

I wish we had a conversion van with videos when I was a kid!!!

teppaz

Angel Diva
I tend to look up local places to eat. Two favorites: Ole’s in Sugar City, Idaho, driving from SLC to Targhee; Empire Dairy King in Empire, Colorado, on the way to Winter Park. Classic burger joints!

For bathroom breaks, it’s big gas stations or coffee joints.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Don't normally stop for anything....... pack food and beverages, avoid all rest stops and public restrooms. There are ways to accomplish everything and never have to leave your car.......

marzNC

Angel Diva
Don't normally stop for anything....... pack food and beverages, avoid all rest stops and public restrooms. There are ways to accomplish everything and never have to leave your car.......
That can work locally, but not when driving 500+ miles in a day as the start of a road trip crossing multiple state lines.

I need a rest stop every 1.5-2.0 hours in the morning. Can usually go 2-3 hours in the afternoon/evening.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Also as a kid, on the few occasions where we drove to Western PA, there were Howard Johnson'sall along the PA turnpike as the designated rest areas. We sometimes stopped for lunch because my mom liked the fried clams they were famous for. I don't recall ever getting orange sherbet there (another of their specialties) but did enjoy some sort of ice cream.
We used to stop at Howard Johnson's in the northeast. Also was one in Petersburg, VA for driving between NC and DC or NYC after moving to Chapel Hill in the 1970s.

The last Howard Johnson restaurant just closed in Lake George, NY. The next-to-the-last to close was in Lake Placid. That building still exists but with a completely different color scheme for a brew pub.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Kwik Trip is a regional chain of gas stations usually with expansive convenience stores. Sort of like a Wawa or SHEETZ but no hoagies-to-order. If in WI/MI/MN and there is a KwikTrip on the way, I usually chose that. They have usually have a huge coffee bar area, and decent breakfast sandwiches, pastries, and actual healthier snack options, too (mini carrots, pickles, cheese sticks, etc.) Can pick up adult beverages to enjoy on arrival wherever you are going, as well, although don't expect lots of fancy beers (but some microbrews on occassion!)

On the way to our cabin once we get off the highway, there is a truck stop called HOOPS that is convenient for gas (BP) , OK for bathrooms, and has a franchise for "Chester's Chicken" which is tasty fried chicken tenders and bone-in pieces. We often get it on the way to the cabin as an easy dinner option for when we arrive and have to unpack the car.
Good to know about Kwik Trip.

Wawa used to be a favorite stop in VA and PA before Sheetz spread into the southeast from PA. I like the fact that Sheetz built new buildings that are accessible by a road with a traffic light when exiting. Also have some favorites on the menu for a quick meal. Sheetz is one of the companies that partners with Tesla for Tesla charging stations.

There are times I'll stop at a truck stop, usually TSA, Love's, or Flying J.

My goal is to stop somewhere with everything available, meaning gas, a clean restroom, and food if needed.

marzNC

Angel Diva
If driving from Chicago to the East, we try to hold off our stops until Ohio becuase their rest stops are much better than the ones in Indiana along 80. Some even have Panera's! WOW! LOL.

In the Chicagoland area, our rest stops are ABOVE the highway. Illinois has a few of these over-the-highway rest stops/dining areas/gas stations and they are called "OASIS." If you listen to Chicagoland traffic reports enough, you'll hear "Hinsdale Oasis", "Belvedere Oasis," "Lake Forest Oasis" as points of reference. On my way home from a beach day in Waukegan, I sometimes stop at the Lake Forest Oasis and get Sbarro to go because I actually really like some of their dishes. Me and Michael Scott! haha.
Have stopped at travel centers on toll roads in NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD many times. The old ones in MD and DE had more character than the new buildings. But the restrooms in the new buildings are a lot nicer and no stairs.

I've mostly driven to the midwest during the summer. By the time we were in Chicagoland, we had either just left O'Hare or are close to our destination so no need to stop. I've noticed the Oasis locations though.

MissySki

Angel Diva
We don’t often stop when doing the 4 hours to Maine each Friday.. we like to power through when possible to not add time. When necessary though we just stop at the rest area in Kennebunkport which has clean bathrooms, snacks/drinks, and gas if needed. It’s close to the halfway mark, so good in that way to stretch legs when we do stop.

marzNC

Angel Diva
@marzNC Its approximately 340 miles one way for my mountain commute.....
I was a city kid . . . much prefer an indoor toilet. Everyone has different preferences when it comes to driving trips.

I started the thread in hopes for recommendations for when I go exploring in states I don't normally drive in, but hope to explore in the future.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Have been using Yelp to find all sorts of cool places for a meal along the way, especially when exploring new regions. Who knew there is a Lao food restaurant in Oklahoma City?

Only discovered Wegman's a few years ago when one opened 15 min from my house in central NC. Love it! When driving solo, I'll look to see if there is a Whole Foods or Wegman's for a simple meal. Usually that's for dinner since they usually aren't right off an Interstate highway exit.

Amie H

Angel Diva
I should note that my last few trips to the cabin, I just drive the 3+ hours straight through. It used to be closer to 3.5 hours each way but the highway improvements on 90 West have eased traffic greatly.

The only reason I stopped on my last visit was because my elderly dog, Shayla, was whining for a tinkle break!

Amie H

Angel Diva
Quite a history for Kwik Trip (Kwik Star in Iowa) in the midwest. Started in 1960. Appears to have been expanding since 2015 or so with over 800 locations by 2021
Big hullabaloo this Spring in Rome, WI (near our cabin) where a Kwik Trip replaced a long-time independently-owned (and very charming) gas station and small grocery/general store. The store owner wanted to retire and the buyer was Kwik Trip, so they converted her store to their format, but leased an area to someone who will be selling bait/fishing supplies and hardware. It was jam-packed over memorial day weekend.

The big loss for the town was that there was a satellite postal station in the old store, but not in Kwik Trip. And, as noted, it was a complete grocery store w deli counter.

That said, I'm glad SOMETHING went in there. Across the street is a Dollar General so between the two, I think most basic needs can be met for the weekenders up there. I think full-timers likely drive the 20 minutes or so to Wisconsin Rapids for Walmart Supercenter or Aldi.

And if anyone is wondering, yes, Rome, WI was the setting of the 1990's CBS show "Picket Fences "

marzNC

Angel Diva
I should note that my last few trips to the cabin, I just drive the 3+ hours straight through. It used to be closer to 3.5 hours each way but the highway improvements on 90 West have eased traffic greatly.

The only reason I stopped on my last visit was because my elderly dog, Shayla, was whining for a tinkle break!
When I first started doing the 4-hour drive, 1-way, to Massanutten for ski long weekends, I was taking my 4yo daughter. Later on, my passengers included kids under 9 for several years. Always needed one rest stop and sometimes more than one. Was better to plan for a stop than wait until a kid said they needed a stop. That was before Sheetz expanded to VA but wasn't hard to decide which gas stations made the most sense.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna