• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What do you use to protect your ski bindings for travel?

Après Skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What is your solution for protecting ski bindings for travel? I usually wrap them in bubble wrap and a “ski towel” (a heavy dark-colored towel I use to dry skis and protect the ski condo flooring messy gear and boots). Would love to know if there is a better solution. I’ve seen some of the baggage handling at the airport and consider myself lucky when everything arrives intact.

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have both sport tube and soft bags. In a soft bag bindings get a cardboard and bubble wrap triple layer then some extra clothes if they fit as well as two layer cardboard tip and tail protectors. I also make sure the brakes sharp parts have some cardboard to avoid punching through the bag and creating a spot that could get caught and tear. In the sport tube I use cardboard shim where the binding touches the other ski and cardboard tip and tail. In the sport tube I will bubble wrap the whole package if there’s room, the powder skis fill the whole tube though so they don’t get wrapped.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
What is your solution for protecting ski bindings for travel? I usually wrap them in bubble wrap and a “ski towel” (a heavy dark-colored towel I use to dry skis and protect the ski condo flooring messy gear and boots). Would love to know if there is a better solution. I’ve seen some of the baggage handling at the airport and consider myself lucky when everything arrives intact.
Same. Wrap bindings in dark colored ski hand towel.

Après Skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you for sharing your travel solutions. I’ve taken many problem-free flights with a padded soft bag but I am curious since I am considering new skis for next season.

racetiger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The last two trips I went on , I had my skis in a padded Dakine bag. I had a light blanket lining the bottom (because I didn't know what the bedding situation was going to be like where I was going) and a hoodie wrapped around the bindings. They made it safely with no damage.
I wished my bag had wheels but I just dragged that thing in the airport any time I came across a smooth surface. It held up to it so far. I'm thinking next trip I need to rig a little removable cart for it. I have random wheels here at home

marzNC

Angel Diva
I've used an old towel when taking a soft bag. Usually not a full-size towel. I may tie it on so it's more likely to stay if/when TSA opens up the bag.

What I think about is whether or not I need to protect extra items from sharp edges.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't pack anything extra. I usually travel with the Dakine low roller or Burton Wheelie Gig which have some padding, and my clothes get wedged around my bindings. I have a small microfibre towel which I use for wiping down gear, so that wraps around my bindings. I usually clean my skis off completely and wax and brush before I fly.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Double Sportube users here - we usually tape old towels around the bindings, but we probably don't need to as the skis seriously don't shift about in the tube.

Jilly

Staff member
This is so smart...I honestly just put my skis through the leg of my snow pants and shimmy it down so it covers the binding and wrap the other leg around (LOL)
Probably the last idea I would have. My edges would be too sharp and cut my pants...DH did that to ski bag years ago. Thought it would be better if the skis bases kept the bag more rigid. The edges tore the material of the ski bag. He was also stuffing everything he could into the ski bag. We were going for 2 weeks in France.

flyingsquirrel

Certified Ski Diva
Probably the last idea I would have. My edges would be too sharp and cut my pants...DH did that to ski bag years ago. Thought it would be better if the skis bases kept the bag more rigid. The edges tore the material of the ski bag. He was also stuffing everything he could into the ski bag. We were going for 2 weeks in France.
And this is why Jilly is a valued advice giver and I’m out here flying by the seat of (snow) pants

Jilly

Staff member
Thanks, but just years of experience. Old towels, olds blankets....I personally have a sportube, so nothing. But years ago we did use a binding cover over the bindings when we used a roof rack. Went to a box and didn't need them anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly