• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What do you think of this video?

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
That made me giggle. And also hold my breath. And also admire the s*** out of those bada$$ women...knowing that there is almost no chance that I will throw myself down a couloir like that. Almost.

newboots

Angel Diva
1. Loved the music. Grace Potter!
2. I had to Google Katie Burrell. A pro skier, I wondered? Yes. And comedian.
3. This has some similarity to the bro ski goofball video on the other thread. It’s a little goofy. It is amazing to see these women guides; the humor isn’t really my cup of tea. I did smile.
4. The scenery! Breathtaking!

Tennessee

Angel Diva
Ok. I must be old. I loved the music and the skiing but the humor just turned me off. Not sure why. I think maybe it’s sort of “mean girl” humor? Or maybe I’m just too old to relate...

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ok. I must be old. I loved the music and the skiing but the humor just turned me off. Not sure why. I think maybe it’s sort of “mean girl” humor? Or maybe I’m just too old to relate...

I find the humor a little bit grating too. It's clearly meant to be good-natured, and to celebrate the skills of extreme/back country women skiers. I'm so glad these videos are out there. We need more video role models.

But ... I'm just not sure why I have a "wait-a-minute" hesitation in giving the humor itself a big thumbs up. I was wondering if anyone else has that response, thus this thread. Evidently most people like them and get a big laugh. I'm glad.

I am definitely old. Have I forgotten how to laugh?

marzNC

Angel Diva
I am definitely old. Have I forgotten how to laugh?
Do you ever watch Saturday Night Live? I don't regularly, but have enjoyed skits that I happened to catch. However, I have to be in the mood. There are times when I can't turn it off fast enough.

I think growing up in New York City I have a higher tolerance for some types of humor. My parents came to the U.S. as adults. Even though they learned English in high school and were highly educated, they had a hard time understanding TV sitcoms. Took a while for me to adjust to the humor on SkiSE/SkiNC, which is predominantly men with southern roots that go way back.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So here's a very different video. It's an interview with a woman Esta Evan who at 67 got her CSIA Level III. No humor, just a real story about a woman's success in skiing at an advanced age. She started skiing at age 42. I really like listening to this woman talk about skiing.

Last edited:

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For me the humor did not resonate as well as It could have had it been better scripted. Humor is the catalyst here for us mortal skiers to relate as women first, before the journey on the snow. It just needs to develop.

What I really like is that these women are creating little films of their own. The project itself is inspiring and captivating. The idea is wonderful and a great contribution to the ski film world.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
@liquidfeet ... interesting question. I’m a rowdy non-conformist (I’m actually fairly well-behaved) who has always been in male dominated fields. It’s only recently that I realized how much that has shaped my perception of things like humor, politics, etc.

I find this type of “bro” humor emulated by women to be hilarious... partly because it’s a little taboo? The things that Katie does, the belching, the shotgunning, the overconfidence/posturing, it’s all still a little frowned upon, and that makes it hilarious. They’re obviously all bada$$es on the slopes and that adds so much to the humor, because I’m not really worried about the pratfalls.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I didn't realize it was a spoof on men either. What a blind spot I've got. Thanks @Iwannaski for that insight!

I also just love that women are making videos. I wish we had more instructional videos by women for the ordinary recreational skier to look at for help. Deb Armstrong is the role model for this. She's got a ton of material out there. Let's have more of that!

As for the high end inspirational videos -- there are a some for back-country extreme women skiers. That's wonderful. It's affirming that women do this dangerous stuff. But honestly I will never huck myself off a cliff after either climbing up there with ice axe in hand, harness on body, nor after being lifted to the summit by helicopter and dropped off with camera crew. So these videos are spectator sport for me, exclusively.

Where are the women demonstrating awe-inspiring dynamic groomer turns? The men who do these videos of enviable groomer skiing tend to come from the national teams of professional organizations for ski instructors. Some have a race background, but by no means do they all. The videos of this type that I see most often come from New Zealand and Australia, but there are notable individuals putting out this kind of material from Austria and Japan too. Some of these guys are also making short free instructional videos for doing these turns. Where are the women who do this? It's time for us to see women showing recreational skiers how to do fantastic expert groomer skiing.

Last edited:

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I agree... I think showing mastery of every domain (to spoof off of Seinfeld) would be fantastic.

Since instructional videos are typically intended as funnel fillers for another business, maybe one of the big industrial groups should hire women to make instructional videos. I found one by PSIA before the first day I took the kids skiing that was a woman. I will try to find it. I wanted them to understand why I was asking them to get dressed the way I was and what they should expect from the equipment. It was a great series...

newbieM

Angel Diva
@liquidfeet ... interesting question. I’m a rowdy non-conformist (I’m actually fairly well-behaved) who has always been in male dominated fields. It’s only recently that I realized how much that has shaped my perception of things like humor, politics, etc.

I find this type of “bro” humor emulated by women to be hilarious... partly because it’s a little taboo? The things that Katie does, the belching, the shotgunning, the overconfidence/posturing, it’s all still a little frowned upon, and that makes it hilarious. They’re obviously all bada$$es on the slopes and that adds so much to the humor, because I’m not really worried about the pratfalls.

I work in a bro dominated industry (software engineering/computer science) so I’m quite comfortable with it as well and found it hilarious. I really enjoyed the Esta interview - I’m only half way through it but I’m enjoying it so far.

I wish their were more female friendly things for new older skiers. I’m tempted to start my own insta but I’m not sure I have the capacity and my introverted nature doesn’t make it appeal to me as much. I’m much more of an engineer than a marketing type person. I love that there is so much to learn here but the learning curve is so high without support like these communities.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, @sibhusky posted this video on another forum. Great drills for edging and short turns, and it's a fun watch. Keep the sound on! Super drills for side-slipping and gripping, slip and grip, demonstrated by a pair of people, one of which is a woman. Does this matter to you?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly