• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What do you think of this video?

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Well, @sibhusky posted this video on another forum. Great drills for edging and short turns, and it's a fun watch. Keep the sound on! Super drills for side-slipping and gripping, slip and grip, demonstrated by a pair of people, one of which is a woman. Does this matter to you?
I really like this video... love the sound matching with the skills. My only issue is that for me, in each drill, I’d love 1-3 things to be mindful of. So, like I get the movements, but if I had to pick ONE thing (or a few things) on which to focus, that would be great.

Flip side, that’s what an instructor is for.

BUT, even with a lesson, we can only work on so many things at once, and I like to have a few different things that I work on every time I go. So, if I were to want to emulate the edging drills, having a few key focal points would be great. I wouldn’t replace a lesson with them, but rather supplement. It’s what the powder one does... just some basic tips with each step so that when you put the tips together, they make you better. A teaser...

Am I making sense?

newboots

Angel Diva
I like seeing the women in these videos. (I already saw the first one on my ski club’s Facebook page!). It makes the videos seem a bit more friendly to me, and sends the message that I could do this technique.

I don’t mind seeing instructional videos with men, but these with women seem a little more user-friendly.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I personally don’t have a preference for the gender of an instructor in any video. I’ve skied with a handful of instructors all season of both genders, and can 100% say that what I get from each one and my preferences for them have nothing to do with their gender. Whether it’s a male or female demonstrating something, I don’t feel like that makes a difference to my perception of whether I can do it or not. I just assume in athletic pursuits that I can eventually do whatever I want if I work at it hard enough (within reason and perhaps many years of practice into the future lol).

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like seeing the women in these videos. (I already saw the first one on my ski club’s Facebook page!). It makes the videos seem a bit more friendly to me, and sends the message that I could do this technique.

I don’t mind seeing instructional videos with men, but these with women seem a little more user-friendly.
I've watched instructional videos for years, and they are almost all done by men -- except the numerous ones by Deb Armstrong. Good for Deb!!!

These with women demonstrating make me smile. I love it!

newboots

Angel Diva
I personally don’t have a preference for the gender of an instructor in any video. I’ve skied with a handful of instructors all season of both genders, and can 100% say that what I get from each one and my preferences for them have nothing to do with their gender. Whether it’s a male or female demonstrating something, I don’t feel like that makes a difference to my perception of whether I can do it or not. I just assume in athletic pursuits that I can eventually do whatever I want if I work at it hard enough (within reason and perhaps many years of practice into the future lol).

You and I are so different! I always admire your boldness and your athletic prowess. I have long wished I had some early support to be more athletic; I think it would have improved my self-confidence. Confidence has been a long time coming for me and wavers at the slightest opportunity.

I really prefer woman-centric ski clinics, gatherings, and discussions about skiing. I have had some very good male instructors, so I can't complain about that!

MissySki

Angel Diva
You and I are so different! I always admire your boldness and your athletic prowess. I have long wished I had some early support to be more athletic; I think it would have improved my self-confidence. Confidence has been a long time coming for me and wavers at the slightest opportunity.

I really prefer woman-centric ski clinics, gatherings, and discussions about skiing. I have had some very good male instructors, so I can't complain about that!

Honestly my outlook comes from trips West with divas and diva dudes, and hasn’t always been the way it is now. Stick with trips with adventurous ladies, it starts to rub off on you and builds confidence that you can do what they’re doing too! I was an extremely timid adult beginner, it took time to get more confidence. Also, I’ve found an independence and confidence in myself for many things since getting divorced out of necessity. I never realized how much I depended on others for so many things, even a lot of my mental comfort recreating, until I had to do it on my own. Though I don’t recommend divorce to anyone haha, it’s something amazing that came out of it for me that I wouldn’t trade for anything.

Last edited:

newboots

Angel Diva
I got a super boost in confidence this weekend. I recently had a 3-hour group lesson (free with ski club membership!) where we worked step-by-step on turns. Then skied at Jack Frost, filled with blue cruisers that were the perfect pitch for me to make suddenly beautiful big C-turns in a way that impressed @Olesya Chornoguz and @vanhoskier ! The lesson, followed by the perfect terrain, was the perfect storm for sudden skiing improvement!

Ok, :focus:

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like the videos! I have seen the very first one before, I think it's funny. I was going to say Deb Armstrong has a lot of videos, she has been mentioned already.

As for skiing terrain like in the video I am probably not interested in couloirs and chutes skiing ever, but I am starting to like wide open steeps. The rush of skiing them well is incredible and the feeling of accomplishment is too. But sometimes I get frozen and scared still, especially if it's narrow and steep or steep trees. I also had some bad boot issues and alignment issues due to boots, now that is hopefully resolved I am hoping to start to ski some challenging for me terrain. We shall see what happens..

I had plenty of great lessons with both men and women. I learned plenty well from both. I will say that lessons with women instructors were slightly better for confidence building. However I am at the point where confidence building is becoming more important then skill building though surely there is still refinement needed in skills too.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
I got a super boost in confidence this weekend. I recently had a 3-hour group lesson (free with ski club membership!) where we worked step-by-step on turns. Then skied at Jack Frost, filled with blue cruisers that were the perfect pitch for me to make suddenly beautiful big C-turns in a way that impressed @Olesya Chornoguz and @vanhoskier ! The lesson, followed by the perfect terrain, was the perfect storm for sudden skiing improvement!

Ok, :focus:
Okay, @newboots you have to let me know the next time you're at Jack Frost! I was just there the other day. I tried to get a lesson, only to learn that you needed to book 48 hours in advance. I tried to work on technique (I am not carving!), but then spent most of the day on Challenger. WHAT FUN for such a short hill. I got so much air on one jump that my back hurt when I landed, haha

newboots

Angel Diva
Okay, @newboots you have to let me know the next time you're at Jack Frost! I was just there the other day.

Gosh, darn! It would have been fun! Yes, I will definitely let you know. It’s likely next year, though. I was surprised how close it was! A little over two hours!

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had plenty of great lessons with both men and women. I learned plenty well from both. I will say that lessons with women instructors were slightly better for confidence building. However I am at the point where confidence building is becoming more important then skill building though surely there is still refinement needed in skills too.

I've gained a heap of confidence from the women-only ski camps I've been on, but then that's possibly down to the coaching and just spending 2 days concentrating on skills and line choice rather than being in a group of women. But there is something to be said for watching another woman ski a line and thinking that if she can do it, I can too.

I also think that increased confidence can only help me improve my technical skills - some things are just easier if you're going that bit faster or straighter. Not to mention that going fast (or my version of fast) is pretty damn fun when you're relaxed and feeling in control.

newboots

Angel Diva
So, is there any other reason why skiing with women might make [some of] us more confident?

But there is something to be said for watching another woman ski a line and thinking that if she can do it, I can too.

I shrink around men who brag and show off. Maybe around women who do, too, but I don't see that many! If the culture in a group was showing off, I'd be avoiding it altogether. The retirement-age, experienced male instructor in my recent ski club lessons has a very chill, but encouraging style. I haven't noticed any bragging in our coed lessons. Of course, most of us are retirement-age, and not trying to impress anybody.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In a group training session (group lesson, not private), when I'm one of the instructors getting the training, what I look for in the teacher is not related to gender. I want expertise, an ability to demo well, and I want that person to explain verbally in a concise way why we need to be able to do these things. Most trainers both male and female fulfill the first of these expectations. The "why" often gets left out.

But in addition I want this trainer to watch each of us as we attempt to do the tasks demonstrated and give individual feedback letting us know how we are doing. We need to know whether we are succeeding or not. Each person who is having difficulty needs to hear what they need to do different and get some attention as they work on that. Each person who is nailing it needs to hear that too or they may be left wondering. Most trainers both male and female don't do this. But it is definitely needed.

I'm looking for a trainer who cares about how well each individual "gets it," who feels responsible for moving each of us closer to success. Such a trainer will tell each skier how they are doing, and offer specific tips on doing better when that's needed.

In most of the training sessions I've been in, the leader just leads us through drills giving no feedback. They present their content, let the students try, then move on.

I have been in a few training sessions when the trainer latched onto one individual and gave that one person a lot of feedback, but gave none to the rest of the group. I remember these sessions since they stand out. I've found it interesting to try to figure out what it was about those students that got the trainer's attention. Being young and pretty and female, when the trainer was male, appeared to have some influence in the sessions locked into my memory. Doh.

Consistently giving individual feedback to everyone in a group training session has happened with only one trainer I've worked with. I go to her as often as possible.

But I am not willing to say women in general are more likely than men to think that way about their responsibility when teaching groups. That would be too big a generalization from my small sample size.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna