• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What do you eat for lunch on a ski day?

QCskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For the divas here who take their own lunches with them when they ski what do you usually pack? Last year I seemed to fall into the pattern of bringing a tuna sandwich every time I went skiing and it became redundant. Does anyone have creative lunch ideas?

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I bring instant soup cups, the healthy ones like couscous/lentils have 15g of Protein!! I get free hot H20 at the lodge. also bring fruit, nuts, chocolate :-) water and my constant comment spice tea. I also bake tofu.. it's the best lunch for me makes great sandwiches.

On vacation I usually get the soup/salad or something on the light side. A belly bomb at lunch isn't any fun in the afternoon.

alison wong

Angel Diva
If resort does not have microwave for guests to use, I bring instant noodle cups and get a cup of hot water from cafeteria for my noodles. Sometimes, I would bring a couple imitation crab meat to add flavor to the instant noodles.
If resort has microwave, then I would bring home cooked fried rice and soup.
Basically, I prefer to eat something hot for lunch.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Peanut butter and apple slices on thin rice cakes. Walnuts. Larbars.
hate eating a lot mid day. but if I can, I'll add pocket bacon.
:smile:
Brie and some nice crackers as an alternative.
add a banana or a mandarine/pixie
I don't like to stop for lunch.
really you can have a nice snack in the trees and avoid the crowd and continue to ski during the lunch hour when everyone else is at the lodge....
I'm such a tree slut. ha!

Last edited:

Snow 3.14

Diva in Training
I found a couple of years ago that I do not ski nearly as well after lunch as I did before lunch, so I stopped taking lunch breaks. I think relaxing during that 45 minute break sent me out of my groove. So DH and I pack our pockets with Cliff Bars or Kind Bars (or something similar), mixed nuts, beef jerky, and eat that during one of our quick warm-up breaks.

Now that strategy definitely doesn't fly when our kids come with us! During those times, we'll sit down and eat the typical sandwiches and bananas.

newboots

Angel Diva
I found a couple of years ago that I do not ski nearly as well after lunch as I did before lunch, so I stopped taking lunch breaks. I think relaxing during that 45 minute break sent me out of my groove. So DH and I pack our pockets with Cliff Bars or Kind Bars (or something similar), mixed nuts, beef jerky, and eat that during one of our quick warm-up breaks.

I’ll bet that’s true. I need the rest sometimes (and usually the chance to de-dog my goggles and dehumidify in general). But it does take away your momentum!

racetiger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I sometimes forget to eat on full ski days because Im busy skiing and havin fun. I bring banana, trail mix, beef jerky, a sandwich if I really take the time to prepare and a granola bar And a thermos of hot water for tea

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Now that strategy definitely doesn't fly when our kids come with us! During those times, we'll sit down and eat the typical sandwiches and bananas.

I’m with you on that feeling. Apparently all my effort goes to digestion versus skiing! So outside of perhaps Half a Think Thin bar or a hot chocolate, partly to warm up, I don’t eat until I am done skiing. At Okemo I stopped at Epic a lot because I know so many people that work there. And I can pretty much slide from the restaurant to where my gear will be waiting at Jackson Gore so I don’t need a lot of effort.

mustski

Angel Diva
I also have the after lunch blahs. I think it’s the lactic acid seeping into the muscles. If we are skiing by ourselves, we start early and stop early - oftening skiing through lunchtime and eating around 2:00.

Christy

Angel Diva
I also have the after lunch blahs. I think it’s the lactic acid seeping into the muscles.

Add me to the list of those who often don't ski well after lunch, but I don't think it's just because of taking a break or losing momentum, I think it has to be something like this. ^^^ It often seems like my muscles aren't working right or my boots aren't working for me.

We usually stop for lunch mid mountain and if I don't want to eat the bad expensive food at Crystal, I need to pack something flat like pita with almond butter, bananas and honey in my jacket.

MilkyWookiee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In college, I became a big fan of using an insulated lunchbox to keep things hot instead of cold. Pack a thermos in one of those with a hot pack. I use the same hot/cold packs with the little gel beads that I use for sore muscles. I've kept things like chili or pasta hot for hours like that. And I always bring 2 reusable water bottles. One big one that stays in the lodge while I'm skiing and a smaller, collapsible one that goes in my pocket while I ski. I also keep a clif bar on me while I ski and usually do the just add water oatmeals in the lodge in the morning, maybe with a piece of fruit. Any "cold" items just go in my bag, I don't pack a cooler and just avoid things like dairy that must stay cold.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
With the kids we bring sandwiches, usually pbj but once in a while I'll make lunchmeat sandwiches and bring lettuce and tomatos and buy a bag of chips (they get squished too easily to bring our own). I don't mind stopping for long lunches because the kids can't ski too long without getting cranky. When I'm by myself I might by lunch occasionally, or more typically I'll eat half of a breakfast bagel sandwich on the way up to the mountain and eat the second have for lunch (they come wrapped in tin foil and hold up really well in your pocket, I don't mind eating them cold). Or sometimes if its a short day, just a clif bar. I don't have a lot of time on my solo ski days so have to take advantage of them, but I do need a stop since my boots are terrible so a quick pocket lunch at a basic on mountain lodge or warming hut works well.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

That's me too. I like to ski through lunch. If the hill is crowded, I get some relief when everyone else goes in to eat. I feast when I'm done for the day.

Lise

Certified Ski Diva
Not much, I usually do 4 hours straight skiing and have a couple of choccie biscuits or a muesli bar plus a bottle of water in my pockets for my brief breaks.
Whether the 4 hours is a morning, or an afternoon start ,it usually covers the lunch break when the slopes are quiet - I'd rather be skiing than eating. :smile::ski:

HikenSki

Angel Diva
That's me too. I like to ski through lunch. If the hill is crowded, I get some relief when everyone else goes in to eat. I feast when I'm done for the day.
That's what we do. Get out on the slopes early and ski thru lunch. The crowds lighten so we can get in some nice runs till about 1:30/2pm when we head for soup or chili (in the condo or lodge). We have snacks to hold us over if we get a little hungry. We then head back out till about 7pm when the crazy night skiers appear after dinner and drinks. We could ski longer but the slopes stop being fun when the drunkards bomb straight down and/or do jumps without any regard for others safety. Ugh

abyington

Diva in Training
We take a portable grill and make hot dogs out of the back of our pickup. Occasionally, if we don't plan ahead, we'll get chicken strips or something. I like to have energy chews or something to eat while on the hill since you burn so many calories.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly