• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What detergent you use for Merino wool base layer?

TrixieRuby

Certified Ski Diva
I have a lot of merino wool base layers and sweaters. My favorite brand is Minus 33 in New Hampshire. A small company with great service that makes durable products. They are all machine wash AND machine dry. I wash on cold with a regular liquid detergent in a top loader, and then dry on low. They are all holding up very well. I like this company more than smartwool or icebreaker. The fabric is more comfortable, and the pieces hold their shape really well. I have not gotten any holes.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I personally stay away from Icebreaker as I feel there are far superior merino brands out there such as Smartwool and Mons Royale also checkout Untouched World, I think they ship overseas and in my mind theirs is the best but it does come at a price. One thing I learned from working with Merino is that the "staple" of the fibre plays a huge part in how well it wears and performs. The "staple" is the length of the actual clumps of fiber used before it is spun, a longer staple will perform better than a shorter one so the ideal is for a longer staple to be used and of course that comes at a price. Our farmers here have to pay very close attention to this when they are shearing and sorting the wool as they get paid a premium for the longer staples.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
that explains. those base layer are really thin. but what amazed me is that it seems everyone in this forum doesn't experience the same thing as me. also if everyone requests a replacement for icebreaker, it should have gone out of business long time ago. and in my case, holes happened after the first wash.

I will try to use a different detergent suggested from this forum to see what will happen to my new replacement.
Well, not every warranty claim result in a replacement. If they are like most companies they have some clause, 30 day or 10 year, about "reasonable wear and tear" "expected product lifetime" "must show receipt" etc

Christy

Angel Diva
but what amazed me is that it seems everyone in this forum doesn't experience the same thing as me.
I agree, it is very strange. Perhaps it is unique to Icebreaker, in light weights, manufactured at a particular time? In other words, maybe there was something about how they made those lighter bottoms at that time that was no good? And the rest of us just didn't happen to buy those specific bottoms at that time.

TrixieRuby

Certified Ski Diva
I have a lot of merino wool base layers and sweaters. My favorite brand is Minus 33 in New Hampshire. A small company with great service that makes durable products. They are all machine wash AND machine dry. I wash on cold with a regular liquid detergent in a top loader, and then dry on low. They are all holding up very well. I like this company more than smartwool or icebreaker. The fabric is more comfortable, and the pieces hold their shape really well. I have not gotten any holes.
oops! I meant a front loader. Though I do wish I had a top loader!

XTmom

Diva in Training
I use Sports Suds and hang dry for all of my athletic clothing. Anything that is very delicate goes in a mesh bag, no issues with holes using our newer top loader that has an agitator. Several years ago I had an old machine (also top loader with agitator) that was leaving many articles of clothing with holes. Turns out there was a stone in one of the drain holes inside of the machine that was barely visible but stuck out enough to cause problems. Run your hand along the inside of the drum and see if you can feel anything.

EasternCanadaDiva

Certified Ski Diva
I use Sports Suds and hang dry for all of my athletic clothing. Anything that is very delicate goes in a mesh bag, no issues with holes using our newer top loader that has an agitator. Several years ago I had an old machine (also top loader with agitator) that was leaving many articles of clothing with holes. Turns out there was a stone in one of the drain holes inside of the machine that was barely visible but stuck out enough to cause problems. Run your hand along the inside of the drum and see if you can feel anything.

For my third pair, I used lukewarm water, handwashed, and hang dry. Still got two holes after first wash.

oh, wow, Sports Suds is expensive, $23+tax for only 500g.

Really worry about washing my fourth replacement pair now...maybe I will wear it next season, since now it's really getting warm.

EasternCanadaDiva

Certified Ski Diva
Well, not every warranty claim result in a replacement. If they are like most companies they have some clause, 30 day or 10 year, about "reasonable wear and tear" "expected product lifetime" "must show receipt" etc

Very smooth getting the warranty. just filled out some info online and attach the online receipts and uploaded a couple of pictures of the broken products. No question asked. Warranty is one year. I bought my last pair in last April and only started to wear it this season and asked for warranty this Feb.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It is lifetime for socks and 12 months otherwise "We will replace your icebreaker garment within 12 months of purchase if it has been assessed and deemed faulty due to faulty fabric, stitching or manufacturing"

I don't have problems with their thicker layers (most of my stuff is 260-320gsm) but I believe they changed to nylon core for some of their other garments due to the difficulty balancing lightweight, finer-micron merino fabrics with durability (I think on the podcast they said they try to use 18.5 micron for base layers, but ran into durability issues with thinner base layers)

I have recently had some leggings replaced after they got a hole as I was pulling them on at what looked like a joining area (front crotch) of a "seamless" garment. Washed and worn for bike trail riding before that but only 3 months of wear! So at least they honoured it.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Something else to keep in mind is this:
Just because something is offered for sale doesn't make it a good idea. One example IS the really lightweight snug fitting merino base layers. If it's not top quality Merino, the fibers just aren't strong enough to survive the trials of regular wear and tear, pulling on sleeves, over the head etc.
In my repair shop days, I saw tons of this stuff. It's readily available but won't last more than a few seasons at best before going to holes. I've had much better luck with silk weight Power Wool from Polartec which has some strength added to the fibers with a synthetic component.

EasternCanadaDiva

Certified Ski Diva
Something else to keep in mind is this:
Just because something is offered for sale doesn't make it a good idea. One example IS the really lightweight snug fitting merino base layers. If it's not top quality Merino, the fibers just aren't strong enough to survive the trials of regular wear and tear, pulling on sleeves, over the head etc.
In my repair shop days, I saw tons of this stuff. It's readily available but won't last more than a few seasons at best before going to holes. I've had much better luck with silk weight Power Wool from Polartec which has some strength added to the fibers with a synthetic component.

yup. I only want to buy stuff that's on sale. but if lightweight stuff is so bad, why do they even bother to make it? because people will ask for replacement. The first two were 260. I guess still lightweight category.

icebreaker is 50% off now. I am tempting. but I guess I should stop.

Reactions: AJM

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
All our base layers are SmartWool save one top that is Minus33 . We use Tide Free and Gentle, delicates cycle, then hang to dry. No holes so far.

Christy

Angel Diva
Several years ago I had an old machine (also top loader with agitator) that was leaving many articles of clothing with holes. Turns out there was a stone in one of the drain holes inside of the machine that was barely visible but stuck out enough to cause problems. Run your hand along the inside of the drum and see if you can feel anything.
@EasternCanadaDiva did you see this comment? I wondered if you might have a washer issue as well--something that is snagging your clothes, and maybe it only results in holes in your most delicate garments.

EasternCanadaDiva

Certified Ski Diva
@EasternCanadaDiva did you see this comment? I wondered if you might have a washer issue as well--something that is snagging your clothes, and maybe it only results in holes in your most delicate garments.
Thanks @Christy

Yes. I saw it. that might explains my first two 260 base layer pants(forget if I handwashed them or not for the first few times, but definitely used top loader after they got holes), but my third 200 one was handwashed and still got two holes after first wash.

ncychank

Diva in Training
I too just toss it in with the regular laundry. For light merino (150 and under) I put it in a laundry bag to protect the fibres as I've experienced tears before.

edelweissmaedl

Angel Diva
I‘ve got the 260 zone knit capris and no holes (several years old now), probably my most worn bottoms. It’s hard to believe there’s not an environmental culprit here.

Basil

Certified Ski Diva
I have a variety of merino (Smartwool, Woolx, ibex, icebreaker), but I wear daily a lightweight (150ish) weight 100% merino long sleeved tee from Costco (Segments brand). They were something like $20 each. I have 5 and rotate and wash them weekly on the cold/delicate cycle with regular Woolite. Had them 3 years now and no holes!

EasternCanadaDiva

Certified Ski Diva
I have a variety of merino (Smartwool, Woolx, ibex, icebreaker), but I wear daily a lightweight (150ish) weight 100% merino long sleeved tee from Costco (Segments brand). They were something like $20 each. I have 5 and rotate and wash them weekly on the cold/delicate cycle with regular Woolite. Had them 3 years now and no holes!

wow. amazing. does Costco still have them?

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
wow. amazing. does Costco still have them?
Ebay has them. Some of those may be new and from somewhere other than Costco, some may be new old stock that has been bought up and resold after they got discontinued at Costco, some may be used but in fine shape. Ebay watches over its used clothing sales so most used pieces are in good shape. Sellers are good about showing any defects or stains or holes; they get in trouble with ebay if they are caught misrepresenting the quality of items.

Jilly

Staff member
I remember seeing them in the fall. I can't wear Merino so I just pass it by.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly