• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What detergent you use for Merino wool base layer?

Jilly

Staff member
Questions - where are these holes....top or bottoms layer, near a seam etc...

EasternCanadaDiva

Certified Ski Diva
So odd! Do tops do the same thing or just bottoms?

I have only bottoms from icebreaker.

I have half merino and half something else from Mountain hardware & HH tops, yup, no hole whatsoever, but the Mountain hardware one has lots of lint and not soft on the skin.

planning on buying a 100% merino top from Smartwool. maybe this brand of wool doesn't break.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wash and dry all my wool layers in free and clear detergent with the rest of my laundry. My Icebreaker stuff has definitely been the least tolerant of this, as has my husband’s.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They are only in my bedroom after receiving from the mail. OMG, my bedroom has moth??
Did you buy this clothing used or new? Did you get them from a brick and mortar store or some mysterious location on the internet?

The reason I'm asking is maybe the holes were made from moth larvae back at their previous home and the seller didn't know or care. So the holes could have been there when you received the items, but they were invisible at first because they were so small. Then in the wash the holes were pulled open enough to be visible.

Just speculating.

Christy

Angel Diva
Did you buy this clothing used or new? Did you get them from a brick and mortar store or some mysterious location on the internet?

The reason I'm asking is maybe the holes were made from moth larvae back at their previous home and the seller didn't know or care. So the holes could have been there when you received the items, but they were invisible at first because they were so small. Then in the wash the holes were pulled open enough to be visible.

Just speculating.

Yikes, I never thought of this. So when buying wool at a consignment store or from the returns section at REI, we need to be aware they could have picked up moth larvae in someone's home?

EasternCanadaDiva

Certified Ski Diva

Just speculating.

I don't wear used clothes, especially base layers. I bought from online reputable store, the first one from Sporting Life and the second from Norstrom. I don't think they sell used? or someone returned the items?

If you buy used, I don't think you can get a replacement? also the replacement was directly delivered from Icebreaker also developed many holes after a few washes.

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I use "Sport-Wash" that I get off of Amazon. It's a more affordable option than tech wash, but is residue-free and designed for technical and wool fabrics. I wash with cool water on the delicate cycle, extra rinsing. If stuff is really manky I wash it twice on the delicate cycle. If I am washing any of my yak wool items, I put the in a delicates bag. All my wool stuff gets hang-dried on racks. It's tedious, but I have wool items that are still going strong after 6 years of skiing, backpacking, etc.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Baby shampoo is most gentle for wool. Woolite has a bunch of fabric conditioners that are unnesscessary.

If you are worried about moths, put your item in a ziplock in the freezer for two weeks.

The really light weight merino is prone to holes due to fiber wear. Sometimes it is not moths.

Personally I don't bother with SportWash. I use a regular minimal additive detergent, oxiclean/bix soak if it's stinky, and line dry everything.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I got this last year when I bought a wool top that I actually have to take care of, instead of pitching it in with everything else. I use it in the washer, with the top in a lingerie bag.

This supposedly has no enzymes, which apparently are bad for wool. I dunno, we'll see, I guess.
Baby shampoo is cheaper.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Hi ladies, so my first two icebreaker base layer pants got holes all over the places after a few washes. I used Tide Simply Clean and lukewarm water and handwashed for my third pair but still got two holes after first wash. now I got a replacement. I used woollite for my first two pairs too. Someone said don't use a top loader washer and use different detergent. I can't change my washer for this. but I can hand wash? how about detergent though? what do you use that help keep your wool products from getting holes? I don't want anymore holes. Thank you.
Some brands are prone to fiber breakage which gives you holes, especially in the lighter weights.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't wear used clothes, especially base layers. I bought from online reputable store, the first one from Sporting Life and the second from Norstrom. I don't think they sell used? or someone returned the items?

If you buy used, I don't think you can get a replacement? also the replacement was directly delivered from Icebreaker also developed many holes after a few washes.
I just found this. It may explain the issue.

"Even though Merino is a fantastic temperature-managing fabric, it tends to be delicate. Much of the ultralight apparel (140 – 180 GSM) is especially weak since it is thin. And, with excessive use and over-washing, holes can sometimes form."

Last edited:

Christy

Angel Diva
^^^This could explain why I've never gotten holes even with garments I've had for many years, and have worn and washed probably excessively. I don't have many lightweight wool garments and the ones I have I don't wear/wash much.

My experience with medium and heavyweight garments is that it holds up as well as anything else.

EasternCanadaDiva

Certified Ski Diva
I just found this. It may explain the issue.

"Even though Merino is a fantastic temperature-managing fabric, it tends to be delicate. Much of the ultralight apparel (140 – 180 GSM) is especially weak since it is thin. And, with excessive use and over-washing, holes can sometimes form."

that explains. those base layer are really thin. but what amazed me is that it seems everyone in this forum doesn't experience the same thing as me. also if everyone requests a replacement for icebreaker, it should have gone out of business long time ago. and in my case, holes happened after the first wash.

I will try to use a different detergent suggested from this forum to see what will happen to my new replacement.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna