• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What detergent you use for Merino wool base layer?

EasternCanadaDiva

Certified Ski Diva
Hi ladies, so my first two icebreaker base layer pants got holes all over the places after a few washes. I used Tide Simply Clean and lukewarm water and handwashed for my third pair but still got two holes after first wash. now I got a replacement. I used woollite for my first two pairs too. Someone said don't use a top loader washer and use different detergent. I can't change my washer for this. but I can hand wash? how about detergent though? what do you use that help keep your wool products from getting holes? I don't want anymore holes. Thank you.

xxs_skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi ladies, so my first two icebreaker base layer pants got holes all over the places after a few washes. I used Tide Simply Clean and lukewarm water and handwashed for my third pair but still got two holes after first wash. now I got a replacement. I used woollite for my first two pairs too. Someone said don't use a top loader washer and use different detergent. I can't change my washer for this. but I can hand wash? how about detergent though? what do you use that help keep your wool products from getting holes? I don't want anymore holes. Thank you.
I use Soak to hand wash my delicates and knits because you don't need to rinse after. Use a small basin and cool (lukewarm water at most) and don't agitate it. Then you can squeeze out the excess water by rolling it in a towel and laying flat tp dry. As for holes, it might be the top loader agitation causing it. If not, check to see if it's actually moth holes. You can kill potential moth eggs by putting it in your freezer for a couple of days.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I use laundry soap if I'm handwashing.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Hi ladies, so my first two icebreaker base layer pants got holes all over the places after a few washes. I used Tide Simply Clean and lukewarm water and handwashed for my third pair but still got two holes after first wash.
That is crazy! I wash my tops (Icebreaker, Smartwool, Ibex, Ridge Merino) on normal in regular detergent in a front loader and hang dry. Have been doing this for years and they all look like new.

Is there anything else in the load that could be causing an issue? If not, use a lingerie bag as it could be the agitator in the top loader.

edelweissmaedl

Angel Diva
I use Soak for handwashing as well. I have a frontloader and no issues with holes, if I still had a top loader I would put the items in mesh bags. I use regular detergent in the washer. I store all my wool in airtight bins out of season as moth holes are def something of concern.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I got this last year when I bought a wool top that I actually have to take care of, instead of pitching it in with everything else. I use it in the washer, with the top in a lingerie bag.

This supposedly has no enzymes, which apparently are bad for wool. I dunno, we'll see, I guess.

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I use woolite or woolite delicates, try to remember to set it on delicates (actually succeed ~20% of the time), wash cold, and hang dry.

But your clothes are required to have a care label. All the directions written on the care label have to have “reasonable basis” with “reliable evidence.” So if a brand puts dry clean only, they have to have proof washing harms the garment. So I’d look and make sure the care label is being followed. If it is, I’d reach out about their warranty. They only cover manufacturer defects, but this would fall under that, either poor QA on fabric or the wrong washing directions. If they give you any pushback I’m happy to help craft some emails asking for that reasonable basis and reminding them of their regulatory compliance responsibilities. Hope you get answers whether it’s on your end or theirs because that’s so much money to fall apart immediately. (And if it’s helpful, my Kari Traa has held up fairly well considering their quality for their price point isn’t very high. And my partner’s Smartwool tips look brand new even though he’s about as careful as the average man when it comes to washing - everything together, basic free & clear detergent, everything goes in the dryer.)

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Being from NZ I'm well versed in the way of merino ( I used to work for Untouched World who along with Icebreaker were pioneers in realising the benefits and value of using merino wool) and I simply just toss it in the washing machine but I use a liquid detergent not a granular one. Generally I only get holes if it gets caught on something or the moths have had a go at it. Years ago Icebreaker was notorious for getting holes for whatever reason I'm not sure. Check re a warranty, over here if your Icebreaker socks get holes you get a replacement pair believe it or not I know a guy who gets replacement pairs every year !!

EasternCanadaDiva

Certified Ski Diva
Years ago Icebreaker was notorious for getting holes for whatever reason I'm not sure. Check re a warranty, over here if your Icebreaker socks get holes you get a replacement pair believe it or not I know a guy who gets replacement pairs every year !!

So, I am not the only one. Glad to know.

Yes, I got two replacements so far. I bought at deep discount, so not really bad. They are nice with sending me replacement.

Reactions: AJM

EasternCanadaDiva

Certified Ski Diva
I use woolite or woolite delicates, try to remember to set it on delicates (actually succeed ~20% of the time), wash cold, and hang dry.

That's basically what I did with my first two pair. (the second one was a replacement). I got tons of holes still.

Apparently COLD is very bad, even label says use warm water. so I switch to lukewarm water.

EasternCanadaDiva

Certified Ski Diva
That is crazy! I wash my tops (Icebreaker, Smartwool, Ibex, Ridge Merino) on normal in regular detergent in a front loader and hang dry. Have been doing this for years and they all look like new.

Is there anything else in the load that could be causing an issue? If not, use a lingerie bag as it could be the agitator in the top loader.

Still got two holes in my third pair using lukewarm water, handwashed and regular detergent.

How come you are so lucky.

I bought two pairs and got two pairs of replacements. (the first time they sent me a direct replacement, the second time they sent me a code with full price credit so I order another pair online with two pair of socks). The first replacement got many holes after a couple of wash. but I don't think you can get a replacement for a replacement? lol I don't feel comfortable to try that anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: AJM

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gilly1965