• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What are your goals or what are you most looking forward to for the 2019/2020 ski season?

AppleJacks207

Certified Ski Diva
Curious as to what prompted the switch - and are you hangin up the snowboard for good?

Question 2 is easier to answer! My snowboard will always have a place in my quiver, so to speak. I've had too much fun riding to write off ever doing it again.

It was a big surprise to me that I even considered skiing. For 20 years I've been very "one plank good, two planks terrifying". I learned to ride in 99 when most of my teenage peers were either switching to boards or had already switched. It made sense to do what they were doing and we had so much fun.

Last year, my husband switched to skiing. We hadn't been riding much while my stepson was young - he's with us Saturday thru Tuesday every week and we wanted to let him be old enough to pick what he wanted to do, plus we didn't have a "three lift tickets and new gear" budget in some.of those earlier years.

Hubby got on skis and fell in love with them. Got the kiddo on skis and he was a quick study and also fell in love. I got jealous of their easy traversing of the flats and smooth lift exits. My tailbone (once broken in an icy snowboard crash) was bugging me. But we had decided to really nurture the kiddo's love of skiing since it's a fun, screen-free way to spend family time together.

Skipping the mountain wasn't an option, but skiing was, so I tried it, and am really loving it! My feet sometimes still try to revert to the muscle memory of snowboarding when I get tired and that's when things get squirrelly

As I told the lifties yesterday who were cheering for every lap I made on the easy trails, I'm not a good skiier yet but I'm a terrible quitter!

NYSnowflake

Angel Diva
My 2019-2020 (second season on skis) goals are:
To ski 50 or more days this season (while still working full-time). Today I hit day 24.
To advance my skills by getting comfortable skiing diamonds at all different mountains with speed control and round turns (or whatever tactics are needed for the conditions). This means I can reach my goal of being able to ski with most of my friends and associates in ski club and not always ski alone after lessons.
To explore moguls skiing, and take a moguls lesson.

Scribble

Angel Diva
Sidelined at the moment with a sprained AC joint, but when I'm up to it again I want to take a couple private bumps lessons. I lose confidence on gnarly runs and my form goes out the window...I know what to do, but my silly brain gets in the way.
My end of season hopefully-not-a-pipe-dream is to take an off piste workshop at Alta and not hold anyone else back. I just need to stop hurting myself! :injured:

marzNC

Angel Diva
My end of season hopefully-not-a-pipe-dream is to take an off piste workshop at Alta and not hold anyone else back. I just need to stop hurting myself! :injured:
What month? I'll be around Alta most of April until closing day for the lodges on April 19. Happy to do some runs with you off the groomers. What's great is at Alta are all the short shots for gaining confidence on complex terrain. I keep learning more after starting to get tips from friends about 10 years ago during annual spring break trips with my daughter. Although she became better than me by age 11 with the help of ski school. Lessons at Alta and Taos helped a lot, as well as lessons on fundamentals at me home hill in Virginia.

kiki

Angel Diva
For some of us it’s getting to be the end of or near the end of the season, thought it might be nice to look back at our hopes for the season and see how it has gone so far.....:

sk8ski

Certified Ski Diva
Didn't work out like I hoped... Got some days in, daughter was picking up skiing fast so I had plans to make the most of the remaining season, but then 2nd half of January got a concussion as a result of skiing fall... Still on short term disability at work, and of course no skiing...

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My goals for this season were to ski 60 days, 40 of them on the job teaching. During those days, when I had free time, I intended to work on a long list of things, some of which were PSIA Level III ski exam tasks. These tasks have to be practiced in order to pass the test. Just skiing "well" won't translate into good Hop Turns, good One-Ski Skiing down an entire run, good Pain-in-the-S turns on a steep icy groomer, or any of the other "tasks" on the Level III list.

Also, I intended to work diligently on my bump skiing, to get it closer to the Level III standard.

Well. 60 days, with 40 of them teaching, does not yield enough time to do all that! I never got close to even spending one hour on many of those things on my list. Reality is so much different than early season anticipation.

I did achieve one important thing. I now can access a new-to-me movement pattern when skiing bumps. This way of moving empowers me to ski a zipper line down low-pitch well-formed bumps. During my last two weeks on snow I was looping the big low-pitch bump run at my mountain, working on cementing this movement pattern into muscle memory. The sensation of skiing this way is fantastic! It's like a foot massage. I love it. Wow, how did I miss this all these years? This is the sensation I'll remember all summer.

I think I can modify this movement pattern to get me down a less-demanding "direct line" on moderate-pitch well-formed bumps. By "direct line" I mean a pretty straight line down the hill, making roundish turns in a very narrow corridor, yielding fast travel, but not doing a zipper.

I've been skiing bumps since when I started skiing. I love them for their challenge and variety, and always have. But ... the way I've skied them has never matched the "experts" whose bump skiing I admire. This season, I stumbled upon the magic movement that will allow me to ski that way. Unfortunately, coronavirus stopped my season early, just as I was going to stop teaching and continue skiing with exclusive attention to skill-building. I stopped after 50 days, about two weeks ago. Another 10 ski days in the bumps, skiing them all day, would have done the trick - I think. Maybe next season....

This season was a winner for me because of that breakthrough.

Last edited:

newboots

Angel Diva
Didn't work out like I hoped... Got some days in, daughter was picking up skiing fast so I had plans to make the most of the remaining season, but then 2nd half of January got a concussion as a result of skiing fall... Still on short term disability at work, and of course no skiing...

So sorry! I hope you pull out of it soon! And now the rest of us aren't going to be skiing either, if that's any consolation.

Scribble

Angel Diva
Last Sunday ended up being my last day out, and it was a not-very-fluffy-but-I'll-take-it powder day! I didn't cross everything off my to-do list, but I'm pretty happy with my progress. I skied down a few that would have had my heart leaping as I picked my way down at the beginning of the season, and it was a nice stopping point to carry in my mind over the summer.

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can say I am happy with my progress this season too. At the start of the year I was reading the terminal intermediate thread that was bouncing around and worried it described me. With more lessons taken this year (9!) I am pleased with my form improvements and definitely am not worried anymore about being stuck and unable to progress. Now what I have learned is getting to the next level for me is going to have to include further PT/home exercises for the lack of mobility in my right ankle and ideally also some work with range of motion in my hips. To the good... I can work on that stuff without needing snow!

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Sorry to hear about that concussion. Heal well.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
My goals for this season were to ski 60 days, 40 of them on the job teaching. During those days, when I had free time, I intended to work on a long list of things, some of which were PSIA Level III ski exam tasks. These tasks have to be practiced in order to pass the test. Just skiing "well" won't translate into good Hop Turns, good One-Ski Skiing down an entire run, good Pain-in-the-S turns on a steep icy groomer, or any of the other "tasks" on the Level III list.

Also, I intended to work diligently on my bump skiing, to get it closer to the Level III standard.

Well. 60 days, with 40 of them teaching, does not yield enough time to do all that! I never got close to even spending one hour on many of those things on my list. Reality is so much different than early season anticipation.

I did achieve one important thing. I now can access a new-to-me movement pattern when skiing bumps. This way of moving empowers me to ski a zipper line down low-pitch well-formed bumps. During my last two weeks on snow I was looping the big low-pitch bump run at my mountain, working on cementing this movement pattern into muscle memory. The sensation of skiing this way is fantastic! It's like a foot massage. I love it. Wow, how did I miss this all these years? This is the sensation I'll remember all summer.

I think I can modify this movement pattern to get me down a less-demanding "direct line" on moderate-pitch well-formed bumps. By "direct line" I mean a pretty straight line down the hill, making roundish turns in a very narrow corridor, yielding fast travel, but not doing a zipper.

I've been skiing bumps since when I started skiing. I love them for their challenge and variety, and always have. But ... the way I've skied them has never matched the "experts" whose bump skiing I admire. This season, I stumbled upon the magic movement that will allow me to ski that way. Unfortunately, coronavirus stopped my season early, just as I was going to stop teaching and continue skiing with exclusive attention to skill-building. I stopped after 50 days, about two weeks ago. Another 10 ski days in the bumps, skiing them all day, would have done the trick - I think. Maybe next season....

This season was a winner for me because of that breakthrough.
this is a great story. i am really excited for you! i know what you mean about the people who can fly down moguls effortlessly and so fluidly but in control. i hope to get there...!

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@echo_NY, I think of those zipperline runs every day. I am keeping the sensation alive in my head. This specific memory has somehow, magically, sustained my hope and anticipation for the future during this stressful summer.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly