• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What are your goals for the 2022-2023 ski season?

HeatherPR

Certified Ski Diva
Goals: confidence, no worries about the ski and boarder bros, make it down bump runs without falling!
After a week at Taos I felt great at sugarbush this weekend. So im feeling better about my ski life. ofcourse that might change next week.::but for now I’ll ride the wave!

kmb5662

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
- I also have the goal of continuing to improve my bump/tree skiing
- Learning to ski switch and do some small jumps in the park. I often ski at small ski hills in the Mid-Atlantic and learning to do some basic park tricks would be fun and to help keep things interesting. I have no further park goals/interests beyond that.
- Continuing on the lifelong journey of working on improving my carving technique
- I would say I've made a little progress in the bumps/trees. Still a lot of work to do (lol) but slowly coming along... I am feeling pretty confident on small bumps/low angle terrain but when things get really big, deep, and steep it all falls apart. I think know fear is playing a role. I think I just need to get more mileage and continue to push myself out of my comfort zone (in a safe way, obviously).
- I spent one afternoon trying to ski switch this season lol. It was fun but I suck at it. A lot. Hahaha.
- Had a few lessons this season and continuing to work on angulation/upper and lower body separation with large radius turns (doing well overall with small radius), and spent a good amount of time working on toppling during my latest lesson. Looking forward to working on this even further.

EdithP

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ah, guys, you are starting from so high up and have such ambitious goals, it will be a lesson in humility to tell you mine. But accountability increases motivation, so here goes mine:
To make the most of the trip to Italian Alps this March where I will be going on a 6 day camp. To continue weekly lessons on the carpet. With the intention of learning to properly carve turns by the end of 2023.
Wishing you all that your goals may come to fruition.
This is how it went:
1. I finally feel secure and confident on red runs (harder blues or easier blacks). Done my first descent on 70% inclination, which was a little aanxiety provoking but certainly not panicking. All of which due to mostly cured backseat.
2. I have finally learned to hockey stop
3. I am definitely starting to initiate turns with ankles and knees, a brand new skill
3. I have now most definitely left the wedge behind (a source of so many anguished posts on my part)
4. And I am already booked for more carpet lessons
so I guess my goals have been reached so far.
The rest of this year will be dedicated to carved turns.

MissySki

Angel Diva
For once I am somewhat pleased with some of my bump/tree skiing progress this season. Just yesterday I was noticing my ability to keep going in bumps for a much longer time than I used to be able to on a specific trail. The snow was fabulous, so that does help.. but this still tells me that I have also made some progress in staying forward more consistently because usually my issue is getting too backseat in steeper bumps eventually and having to stop and regroup when my skis get ahead of me or my legs get tired. Or turning my skis too perpendicular to the fall line and then having a hard time getting a good flow going over a longer distance. I spent a good amount of time this season working on staying more forward on steep groomers and really trying to avoid blocking with my downhill leg to smooth things out. It’s also been helpful to work on looking ahead and trying to plan my turns more in bumps, this is still a big work in progress but I have noticed improved ability to work on it here ever since my Taos ski week.

Anyway, usually I am pretty down on myself for feeling a lack of progress in these areas, so I wanted to also celebrate feeling some positivity about it for once. :smile:

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Continue to work on my right leg strength which I realized yesterday is still weaker than my left. Take some runs in the spring and recapture the joy of skiing.

Yes, I have met my goal this season. Since April 10 I have skied 6 admittedly short days. I hope to end up in the double digits before the skiing gets too slushy for me to continue into the summer this year. And yes, I ski mainly with a big grin remembering how much progress I have made since last May.

The exception is when I'm on a crowded slope and fearful of being run into. That's about the only time I lose my grin.

And yes this success is strong motivation to spend more time in the gym this summer working on strength, balance and flexibility.

20230421_111229~2.jpg

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My season has officially started with a 2hr trip to the indoor slope where I fell over snowboarding a lot and decided I've regressed from "low intermediate" to "advanced beginner"!

Goals:
1. Get strong and "snow fit" BEFORE my first "real snow" early season trip in June - and hopefully shed some of the weight that has been plaguing me and slowwwwly creeping up since 2020. I hit 122lb but not by adding muscle, and would love to be back to a fit, strong 110-115lb.
2. Improve my piste skiing by learning to carve (and how gates work) with the goal of doing Peak to Pub
3. Improve my off-piste skiing enough to ski Waterfall (my nemesis bump run at The Remarkables) and Roundhill's rope tow accessed terrain without resorting to "survival skiing"
4. Feel confident on my snowboard on all small features in the terrain park and all blue groomed runs
5. Get on snow for as many days as possible! Currently I have enough leave booked for a 4 day weekend in June (which with travel time is really a total of 3 days), 14 days in July and 18 days in September. Clearly I need to somehow get a weekend or two in August in.
6. Don't bankrupt myself with all of the above (suspecting many lessons will be required for this)

echo_VT

Angel Diva
Skiing Focuses this season:
Outside ski
1. Outside ski focus with more javelin turns and flamingos in all terrain, specifically taking it to blacks
2. Practice double footed wiggle, one footed wiggle at the top of the turn
3. One footed turns (outside ski to outside ski)
Backcountry
4. Backcountry ski 1x a week, ~2500 ft climb
Rotation
5. Rotation focus on the outer ski at the top of the turn, at initiation -- staying present on the ski
Pressure
6. Play with retraction at the bottom of the turn to alleviate pressure
Body Control with Terrain Changes
7. Tuck the tailbone for an engaged core throughout short performance turns
Upper Body Separate From Lower Body
8. Angulation down the fall line at all points of the turn: for large medium and short turns
9. Conscientious counter appropriate for the terrain. Tuck turn drills.
10. Separation at all points of the turn
Tactics
11. Performance short turns with blocking pole plant. without blocking pole plant. on bumps and in blacks.
12. Hard icy bumps: move with flow and precision. Can be slow and can incorporate aft.
13. No poles drills: Superman, Pivot Slips.
14. Boots o clock, swoosh the shins around the clock.

I did all of these, but not as many as I would have liked b/c I had a lot of time to devote working on snowboarding. That said, I did a lot of these end of last season and did them this season. Several of these I only got to work on at most 1-2x.

Goals were really to ski like a beast and get much more comfortable in double black terrain and steep bumps which I did. My bump skiing improved a lot but then regressed when I came back to it toward the end of the season. Which is fine, it's all ebbs and flows and the time put in.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well gals my goal for our upcoming season is just to be able to actually ski after last years accident. Not sure yet what this will look like :laughter:
Will I even be able to ski ?
Will I be able to ski my beloved Sheeva 9's?
Will I be able to ski the whole mountain or stuck on the beginners slope?
Will I be able to ski off piste?
Will I be able to wear my stunning new Frauenschuh ski pants ?
Will I just end up crying in a corner !!

At this stage my goals are a complete shot in the dark !!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna