• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What are your current ski goals? What were your wins (big or small) this season?

kmb5662

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Reviving this now that this season has sadly more or less come to an end for me with our very warm weather and rain here in the east. :cry: I've had 21 days on snow this season, which is not nearly enough IMO but I think pretty good considering I don't have a car LOL.

Here's what I had posted as my goals at the end of last season:
Goals for next season:
- Improving my upper and lower body separation on steep terrain and in the moguls/off-piste
- Improving my mogul skiing in general and picking my lines/not stopping
- I tend to finish too hard on phase 3 of the turn (which I think is a bad habit I've picked up from skiing on east coast/mid-Atlantic ice all these years) and would like to kick this bad habit

- I've definitely improved my upper and lower body separation. I'm not perfect every turn on all terrain and still need to fine tune things with large radius turns, but progress is still progress...
- Mogul skiing has also improved a lot! Unless the bumps are super big and/or super firm/icy I find myself rarely shopping for turns.
- With lessons this year I spent time focusing on pressuring different areas of the ski in different phases of the turn and working on "being patient". I've noticed a huge improvement in not only how my skiing feels but on video review as well.

My goals for next season:
- I love moguls (despite being a far cry from a great bump skier) and want to continue to improve even further. Getting faster, more fluid, developing some style, maybe even a zipper line one of these years...
- Would love to spend some time further improving my carving and achieving higher edge angles.
- Continuing to fine tune my prior goals with separation, stacking, and properly pressuring the ski in the different phases of the turn in various conditions and terrain.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
My goal in the last few years has been to have fun and make it through the season without injury. I had 4 fun days in the early season including some time spent with @mustski and her DH. On my fifth day I stopped having fun because I failed to make it through 5 ski days without injury.

My goal for the next 9 months is to build strength and flexibility in my entire body not just the right leg. I plan to start next season in the best possible condition.

My main goal is to ski next season. I don't know if I will accomplish that one.

If I do decide to ski, I will be consulting here as to what skis I should purchase.

chasinghorizons

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Goals:
- I really want to get comfortable catching air. I was traumatized in childhood when I tried a small ramp and had a total garage sale, and then I never tried again. But the pro freeride and freestyle skiers nowadays look so good, so fluid, even cooler than snowboarding now imo. Eventually I want to build up to small cliff drops & wind lips.
- eventually I want to take a freestyle lesson. Flips are a hard no but spins look fun.
- improve powder and mogul skiing.
- STOP buying skis! I am a shopaholic when it comes to skis...

Still hopeful that I can work on some of these things this season.

Last edited:

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@chasinghorizons As an instructor I get to buy skis at great discounts. I however, approach skis as many good and conscientious hunters approach their rifles. Own few and get to know them well. Replace the ones that don't make you smile within two or three days. It takes me weeks to really learn how each pair prefers to be skied.

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
Looking back on my goals from last spring, I can't say I accomplished most of them, but that is really okay. What I did accomplish was taking a couple lessons, start consistently working on upper and lower body separation, explored way more of the terrain in our new home ski area, and had a lot of fun.

Goals for next year are still to take a mini-trip to a larger ski area, find some local ski friends, and really just do some longer ski days to build endurance provided covid levels are such that we feel comfortable spending time in the lodge. (That was honestly still a factor this year that kept us from exploring a larger place further away or staying longer at our little ski home.)

Still hoping to get one more day this season! Fingers crossed.

chasinghorizons

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@chasinghorizons As an instructor I get to buy skis at great discounts. I however, approach skis as many good and conscientious hunters approach their rifles. Own few and get to know them well. Replace the ones that don't make you smile within two or three days. It takes me weeks to really learn how each pair prefers to be skied.
That's a good mindset, idk how things snowballed so much this year. I swear I'm done now though... I'm pretty darn happy with this quiver. :love:
IMG_20220316_201021_775.jpg

Christmas gift, birthday gift, Covid-delirium purchase, and I found the Sakanas on sale in Oregon (so no tax) and couldn't pass them up.

kmb5662

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's a good mindset, idk how things snowballed so much this year. I swear I'm done now though... I'm pretty darn happy with this quiver. :love:

That's a beautiful quiver! (even though I'm not personally a Dictator fan... love the colors!)

I only have 2 skis that really I use + my old rock skis that rarely come out these days but if money and storage space was not an issue I could easily buy at least 2 more to complement my frontside carver and playful/off-piste ski. After demoing the Volkl Secrets recently I keep checking sales... :help:

chasinghorizons

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's a beautiful quiver! (even though I'm not personally a Dictator fan... love the colors!)

I only have 2 skis that really I use + my old rock skis that rarely come out these days but if money and storage space was not an issue I could easily buy at least 2 more to complement my frontside carver and playful/off-piste ski. After demoing the Volkl Secrets recently I keep checking sales... :help:
Haha yea I saw your review, it was very interesting to me how we had such different experiences! I guess I am just one of those hard charging skiers :laughter: .

My dad demoed the Mantra M6 in Utah recently too - same construction as the Secret but different topsheet - and had similar great things to say! Now my husband is eyeing them too...

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
View attachment 18382

Christmas gift, birthday gift, Covid-delirium purchase, and I found the Sakanas on sale in Oregon (so no tax) and couldn't pass them up.
Very pretty - what are the Sakanas like? (Apologies for a bit of thread hijack...)

chasinghorizons

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Very pretty - what are the Sakanas like? (Apologies for a bit of thread hijack...)
I WISH I KNEW!! I haven't been able to try them yet since DH broke his collarbone in early January :cry: but I plan to use them as my deep powder skis and my hope/expectation is that those giant tips will be unsinkable with the swallowtails. Plus Blister said they are super fun for spring slush too.

I think the reason I've been looking at skis so much recently is that I haven't been able to GO for so long. It's retail therapy.

arbusch

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My goal was to recover better after multiple big backcountry days in a row so I was working on my endurance fitness and nutrition this winter. I did better this winter. Yet winter was a fickle beast this season. I never felt like I got into a rhythm or was skiing as confidently but the conditions were funky in the backcountry. Not until last Sunday (March 21) when I finally had a beautiful powder day and a backcountry zone all to myself. I finally felt like me skiing. My goal for next season is acceptance and enjoying whatever winter throws at me. A be more like my 70 year old friend who never seems to have a bad day skiing. Even when it was super icy and hard pack in the backcountry he took this as an opportunity to improve his crampons skills and learn how to move in the mountains in funky conditions. So being less hard on myself and to see each day out skiing as a blessing.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly