• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What are your current ski goals? What were your wins (big or small) this season?

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My goal for the past 3 seasons has been to go heliskiing !!! Based on the quiz you do to assess what experience level you have it seems that due to my lack of experience around helicopters my first time should be on the Tasman Glacier which is a much more mellow heli experience ( ie not landiing on knife edge ridges !) Sadly for the last 3 seasons I've ended up sick or injured at the end of the season when I've been wanting to go .... I'm still hoping I can make it within the next week or 2 but as I've damaged my ribs this year its a looooong shot :injured:

MissySki

Angel Diva
My goal for the past 3 seasons has been to go heliskiing !!! Based on the quiz you do to assess what experience level you have it seems that due to my lack of experience around helicopters my first time should be on the Tasman Glacier which is a much more mellow heli experience ( ie not landiing on knife edge ridges !) Sadly for the last 3 seasons I've ended up sick or injured at the end of the season when I've been wanting to go .... I'm still hoping I can make it within the next week or 2 but as I've damaged my ribs this year its a looooong shot :injured:

Someday I really want to heli ski.. My hesitation (besides sucking in powder) is that I became very ill on a helicopter in the past and pretty nauseous a second time too. So I’m not sure if I can handle the helicopter flying part. I’d definitely have to do something for my motion sickness. :cry:

Reactions: AJM

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Someday I really want to heli ski.. My hesitation (besides sucking in powder) is that I became very ill on a helicopter in the past and pretty nauseous a second time too. So I’m not sure if I can handle the helicopter flying part. I’d definitely have to do something for my motion sickness. :cry:
I'm going to have to take a little something for the heli, it will probably be imbibed via a hip flask :laughter:

EdithP

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did not think I would have any success to report, but after months and months of skiing on the rolling carpet, I have recently started to consistently lift the inside ski when turning. It was such a long and windy road. It was only when I started those carpet lessons that I realised how many things I had been doing wrong, and it was taking forever to work around them. And it is true what they say that it is far easier to learn a new thing than to replace a wrong move with a right one. Now my goal is very modest: to be comfortable in the French Alps when I go for the annual ski trip in January. Feeling in total fellowship with Iwannaski and AJM about the lack of confidence. My goal too.

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One of my friends went heli skiing for the first time this year! I'm not sure what outfit she went with, they were based out of Queenstown. (And she's definitely a better skier than me, haha) She said it was AWESOME!!!

I did not think I would have any success to report, but after months and months of skiing on the rolling carpet, I have recently started to consistently lift the inside ski when turning. It was such a long and windy road. It was only when I started those carpet lessons that I realised how many things I had been doing wrong, and it was taking forever to work around them. And it is true what they say that it is far easier to learn a new thing than to replace a wrong move with a right one. Now my goal is very modest: to be comfortable in the French Alps when I go for the annual ski trip in January. Feeling in total fellowship with Iwannaski and AJM about the lack of confidence. My goal too.
That is so great to hear. Skiing progress is SO slow, but it is awesome when you make these little breakthroughs! They all add up to big improvements over time :smile:

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
With my season now drawing to a close, I was trying to remember what exactly my ski goals had been and wondering how I did.

* make at least 2 consecutive powder turns - SUCCESS!!
* learn to carve (now there's a nebulous goal!!) - not yet but my piste skiing is slightly improved anyway, it's been hindered by lockdowns and other factors as well making it hard to get a) time on snow, b) carving lessons! i'm still practicing railroad tracks along cat tracks
* get better at skiing chop/crud. If I can make it down any ungroomed run at my local without stopping, in chop/crud conditions, I'll consider that a huge success! - I'm yet to make it down any ungroomed run without stopping at least once (except a very short run!!), but I've definitely improved a ton and gained confidence, and can link a lot more turns than I could before in those tricky conditions - I'll call it a success! (if not a huge success ;) )

I made another goal at the start of this season which was to ski a specific long black groomed run at my local mountain - without stopping. I've succeeded at that too! It required me to exit turns with more control, so that I could enter the next turn without coming to a stop first or without gaining too much speed (which also caused me to stop haha)

Other bonus wins:
* skied two new skifields (remarkables, cardrona)
* hiked to access terrain for the first time (remarkables) - and discovered I am ludicrously unfit!!
* gained more confidence and speed in general

Good luck to all the northern hemisphere ladies for the upcoming season :smile:
We had some really good snow conditions at the end of my season, so I managed to collect some time on snow and threw some money at some ski lessons with a carving focus. I can now say that I have made some actual carved turns :smile: definitely not consistently - but I'm still gonna call that a huge win, and I'll call it a success for my carving goal!

I think my goals for next season are going to be similar, but just the next level.
Get even better at skiing chop/crud - I still stop a lot and get put off by the terrain a lot. I never did manage to make it down any ungroomed run without stopping (without the conditions being perfect), so that's still a solid goal.
Carving - just improve, the sky is the limit with that one so it's hard to set a specific goal! If I can carve reliably on mellow blue terrain, that would be awesome.
Ski at some more new skifields!!
I'm sure I'll think of more over my off season...!

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If we manage to get out of here and to our booked ski field (which so far needs Japan to open it's borders and QLD to reach 90% vaccination, not looking too hopeful on either front right now :noidea:), then there's the longest run which officially is green, however, the instructors say it's more like a blue in NZ as they rate it based on ease of grooming or something. Anyway, it's off camber, follows a ridgeline with some impressive drop offs, steep and gravelly at the base and the only time I've done it so far it scared the bejeezus out of me.

So I will conquer that run, and not leave a trail of wee behind me.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Boom !!! I did it, I reached my goal, I skied the Tasman Glacier (think Aguille Du Midi but in NZ but without the crowds) yesterday ..... whoop whoop :yahoo:I got over my rib injury and fear of helicopters and went for it. The weather was amazing (think stunning blue bird spring day with no wind) and the heli flight much easier than I was anticipating but that could have been because I sank half a bottle of Rescue Remedy chased down with several slugs of Fireball:rotf: It is the most incredible trip, you land at the top of the glacier at around 2,500 metres and ski 2 runs of approx 8-10km. The snow at top was mildly funky but then gave way to THE most glorious corn I've ever skied. You ski it in groups of 4 plus a guide so DH and I were with a lovely couple from Wanaka and safe to say we had a blast ! I'll let the pics do the talking x
IMG_5830.jpg
Here's me looking a lot more comfortable than I felt pre flight !!

20211022_103903.jpg
The flight in looking up the glacier.

20211022_104651.jpg
Spot the hut in amongst the rocks.

20211022_120912.jpg
Funky snow gave way to creamy corn x

20211022_113154.jpg
The mighty Southern Alps.

IMG_5880.PNG

Side slipping into the ice cave.

Sorry for the photo dump, there's just a few more so I'll put them in another post !!

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Aaaaand the last of the pics from yesterday xIMG_5884 (1).PNG

The last run out

IMG_5892.PNG
The end, that flat topped mountain is Aoraki/Mt Cook our highest mountain, just a day before Sam Smoothy (one of our countries incredible skiers) climbed and did a ski descent of it .

So thats it folks I can end the season on a high :fireworks:

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow! Beautiful pictures. Big congratulations @AJM
Its such an awe inspiring place to be, you can hear the rumble of avalanches all around you which is a little disconcerting but you soon get used to it and apparently they rarely make it down to the glacier which is reassuring !!!

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Absolute gorgeous!! Can an admin rotate the photos?
That would be great if they could ??? They were the right way round when I uploaded them then they went sideways !!! I tried to fix but couldnt x

newboots

Angel Diva
That would be great if they could ??? They were the right way round when I uploaded them then they went sideways !!! I tried to fix but couldnt x
For next time:
(iPhone method; I don’t know any others)

select the photo
Click “edit”
Do something to it. I usually choose to crop it but I only change it a tiny bit
Save the edited photo
Post the edited photo

a bit time-consuming, but easy

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Aaaaand the last of the pics from yesterday xView attachment 16767

The last run out

View attachment 16768
The end, that flat topped mountain is Aoraki/Mt Cook our highest mountain, just a day before Sam Smoothy (one of our countries incredible skiers) climbed and did a ski descent of it .

So thats it folks I can end the season on a high :fireworks:
It looks absolutely incredible!! Congratulations on managing it at the end of the season, looks like an amazing experience! :bounce:

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It looks absolutely incredible!! Congratulations on managing it at the end of the season, looks like an amazing experience! :bounce:
If you ever get the chance to do it go for it !!! Super mellow terrain and esp nice in spring as, generally and esp this year with all the snow up high, the crevasses are all filled in. Apart from some leg breaking funk at the top it was the most sublime corn the whole way down. When I say "funk" I mean about 20cm of fresh "Glue" topped off with a not so lovely crust !! DH said it was like skiing through an over cooked Creme Brulee :laughter:

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm so jealous, that looks amazing. The Tasman is on my bucket list.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly