• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What are you doing to stay in shape?

Jilly

Staff member
AH, but the thing about the SUP is you can fall in and cool off! Having spent 10 days in Florida 2 weeks ago, this little heat wave isn't really bothering me as much as it should have. And I don't have AC at the cottage. Well I do, but I haven't hooked it up in 3 years, so...

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Uh, not enough.

I am with you @diymom, but you are braver than me - I have no interest in getting on our scale as I know it would discourage rather than inspire.

This heat and humidity has taken a serious bite into my usual walking/outdoor fitness class routine. Even first thing in the am it is so humid I can't force myself out the door. On top of that, I clearly lack the motivation to workout with a class/app from home - apparently I need to arrive at a class and have someone shame me into working hard.

When the heat breaks in a couple days I must get myself back on track walking, kayaking and when we cool down more, hiking.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Uh, not enough.

I am with you @diymom, but you are braver than me - I have no interest in getting on our scale as I know it would discourage rather than inspire.

This heat and humidity has taken a serious bite into my usual walking/outdoor fitness class routine. Even first thing in the am it is so humid I can't force myself out the door. On top of that, I clearly lack the motivation to workout with a class/app from home - apparently I need to arrive at a class and have someone shame me into working hard.

When the heat breaks in a couple days I must get myself back on track walking, kayaking and when we cool down more, hiking.

Ugh right?!?!!? The humidity and heat have been sooooooooooo gross, the sun is ridiculously intense.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Ugh right?!?!!? The humidity and heat have been sooooooooooo gross, the sun is ridiculously intense.
Hard to imagine except we get that humidity if on a tropical vacation e.g. Hawaii or Mexico.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Hard to imagine except we get that humidity if on a tropical vacation e.g. Hawaii or Mexico.

Usually MA is humid and gross in the summer (especially if your preferred season is winter!).. but this year has been especially oppressive. We have been constantly in the 90s way more than usual and we are in a severe drought so that isn't breaking us out of the mugginess either. It's just gross... So much I want to do outside, but it's too unpleasant right now.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Usually MA is humid and gross in the summer (especially if your preferred season is winter!).. but this year has been especially oppressive. We have been constantly in the 90s way more than usual and we are in a severe drought so that isn't breaking us out of the mugginess either. It's just gross... So much I want to do outside, but it's too unpleasant right now.
90’s with humidity is hot.. need to be in the ocean!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I’m sitting on a bench at the beach now (down the street from my house). It’s high 70’s and light breeze

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    605.6 KB · Views: 5

lisamamot

Angel Diva
90’s with humidity is hot.. need to be in the ocean!
Heat wave going on.....Boston has hit mid-upper 90s for days in a row with dew points in the 70s. It has been a rough couple of weeks....we have a pool and it is too hot to be out at unless you are in the water, plus the sun has heated the pool up so much it is barely refreshing! Kayaking doesn't even appeal right now :frown: I am hiding in air conditioning!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Heat wave going on.....Boston has hit mid-upper 90s for days in a row with dew points in the 70s. It has been a rough couple of weeks....we have a pool and it is too hot to be out at unless you are in the water, plus the sun has heated the pool up so much it is barely refreshing! Kayaking doesn't even appeal right now :frown: I am hiding in air conditioning!
Yikes

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What am I doing for fitness now? Nothing. I'm sitting a lot.

I am visiting my daughter in hot and humid DC and had plans while here to find the shady trails in DC's Rock Creek Park and start back with my usual (in years past) trail running routine. But alas, I got Covid. So I'm isolating in the house and overdosing on serial TV shows.

Once the isolation is over I will have lost a week or two. But also, on the sunny side, before I got here for my visit I reprogrammed my eating habits. I've been working consistently on losing one pound a week. So far, so good, and I'm starting my fifth week on this new eating regimen. I like it and it works. I look forward to skiing in my favorite ski clothes this winter, something I haven't been able to do for three years or so.

The loss in strength from sitting for so long may slow my full return to trail running but that's ok. Lugging a less heavy body around once I get my mojo back will feel good.

yogiskier

Angel Diva
I joined one of the local run clubs after I moved to Bergen County, NJ and it has been amazing. Their motto is "ridiculously supportive" and I have been regularly getting up for the group runs at 7am on Saturdays and/or Sundays held on a asphalt bike path. The time flies by when you're chatting about anything under the sun. @tinymoose - maybe you could find a run club near you? Also look up Trail Sisters - they hold group trail runs and I bet there is a Phillly area one.

I hurt my hip a few months ago and PT told me to stop biking for now, but swimming is good. And to add in a day of strength training. Just went swimming at the Y for the second time this morning - it's tiring and I only did it for 25 minutes! But there's something special about the whole body immersed in water experience - after I swim I'm on cloud 9 for hours even though it's not an intensive aerobic workout (for me). Later today I plan to do 20 minutes of a beginner strength training routine from the Nike Training Club app that I downloaded recently.

After a bad habit of doing too much too soon, I'm trying to turn over a new leaf and do things more gradually. It's only a lesson that is about 20 years in the making :laughter:

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I joined one of the local run clubs after I moved to Bergen County, NJ and it has been amazing. Their motto is "ridiculously supportive" and I have been regularly getting up for the group runs at 7am on Saturdays and/or Sundays held on a asphalt bike path. The time flies by when you're chatting about anything under the sun. @tinymoose - maybe you could find a run club near you? Also look up Trail Sisters - they hold group trail runs and I bet there is a Phillly area one.

I hurt my hip a few months ago and PT told me to stop biking for now, but swimming is good. And to add in a day of strength training. Just went swimming at the Y for the second time this morning - it's tiring and I only did it for 25 minutes! But there's something special about the whole body immersed in water experience - after I swim I'm on cloud 9 for hours even though it's not an intensive aerobic workout (for me). Later today I plan to do 20 minutes of a beginner strength training routine from the Nike Training Club app that I downloaded recently.

After a bad habit of doing too much too soon, I'm trying to turn over a new leaf and do things more gradually. It's only a lesson that is about 20 years in the making :laughter:
So my gym just added a Sunday night gymnastic class so I think my plan is gymnastics twice a week. Although, gymnastics isn't really cardio. But it's still a very good/heavy workout? Tell me I don't have to run. Don't make me run. lol

Ironically, I can outsprint my 5'10" husband, but I'm a rubbish distance runner. Maybe it's why I like gymnastics.

yogiskier

Angel Diva
So my gym just added a Sunday night gymnastic class so I think my plan is gymnastics twice a week. Although, gymnastics isn't really cardio. But it's still a very good/heavy workout? Tell me I don't have to run. Don't make me run. lol

Ironically, I can outsprint my 5'10" husband, but I'm a rubbish distance runner. Maybe it's why I like gymnastics.
I'm not going to make you run ;-) That's awesome that your gym has adult gymnastics! I loved the gymnastics unit in gym class when I was 11. I had a roommate in grad school who had been a college gymnast, and she enjoyed rock-climbing when I knew her.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm not going to make you run ;-) That's awesome that your gym has adult gymnastics! I loved the gymnastics unit in gym class when I was 11. I had a roommate in grad school who had been a college gymnast, and she enjoyed rock-climbing when I knew her.
Running is my one fear meme lmao

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A friend tuned up my bike and gave me some tips on using it better. He just finished the Pan Mass Challenge (cancer fund raiser) in 100 degrees .... so I did get back on today. I'm very tentative after not riding a bike for damn near 40 years. Whoever said 'it's just like riding a bike' does not know me!

Riding on streets made me nervous(er) if that's possible. Today I drove the bike to a park near my boat and did some light miles. I hope to keep it up some more than before.

Now the stand up paddle board ......

MissySki

Angel Diva
A friend tuned up my bike and gave me some tips on using it better. He just finished the Pan Mass Challenge (cancer fund raiser) in 100 degrees .... so I did get back on today. I'm very tentative after not riding a bike for damn near 40 years. Whoever said 'it's just like riding a bike' does not know me!

Riding on streets made me nervous(er) if that's possible. Today I drove the bike to a park near my boat and did some light miles. I hope to keep it up some more than before.

Now the stand up paddle board ......

I don't blame you! I don't think I could get myself to ride a bike on a road with people driving.. I see how many people are distracted in their cars and on their phones when I'm in another car. No way do I want to share the road with them on a bike!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly