• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What are you doing to stay in shape?

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't blame you! I don't think I could get myself to ride a bike on a road with people driving.. I see how many people are distracted in their cars and on their phones when I'm in another car. No way do I want to share the road with them on a bike!

I returned to the park yesterday with the wife of aforementioned friend. She is in recovery and hoping for recovered from leukemia. We went about 8 miles on my second time out for the year and her first. Feeling good! :smile:

knolan12

Angel Diva
For my Boston area divas, I started going to b.tone at the beginning of the summer and I'm convinced it's gonna make me an all-star this winter haha It's pilates based so lots of balance work and it's always full body, but has a focus each day (so one day is heavy legs, one is heavy core, etc.). It's $$$, but the one in Hanover has been having seasonal pass sales which brings the class cost down to what's typical for a workout class around here (so $$ haha). I try to go 1 - 2 days a week.

I got an Aeroski at the end of last season which is currently in storage as we're renovating our house. But I should have room for it again late fall and excited to get on it. My only complaint about it is that it's LOUD. I was hoping to do it while watching tv, but couldn't friggin hear anything haha I got a giant computer monitor for my new job that is bluetooth compatible so I'll try connecting my headphones to this to drown out the noise.

Definitely need to add more cardio though oops

EdithP

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I aim for 13K steps every day, mostly successfully. I have a once weekly hour of on the carpet skiing lesson. And doing daily aeorobics classes from the internet and some strength training . Recently, though , I found something I think a very effective way of staying fit: an online exercise programme called Body FX, of which a part called Figure 8 is based on Latin dance moves - samba, salsa, merengue, paso doble and jive. I think that their exercises can have great benefits for skiers, and in addition are really fun, though quite ambitious. I have been doing it for the last 3 months and never felt it was a chore. Plus lost some weight without trying at all.

Matro

Angel Diva
I am a big fan of hiking (try to get out for lots of hours on the weekends) and pilates. Also, I have a stationary bike and skiers edge. When I am motivated, I do a workout on the stationary bike with some kind of app for motivation to keep up a better rate, then 10 min on skiers edge, followed by hula hooping in each direction while chewing gum (alternating right and left molars). In this way, I get all of my body regions moving in all planes to get ready for ski season.

I am just recovering from a week of mild covid, and am not feeling motivated. Any help to get some butt-kicking going on?

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am a big fan of hiking (try to get out for lots of hours on the weekends) and pilates. Also, I have a stationary bike and skiers edge. When I am motivated, I do a workout on the stationary bike with some kind of app for motivation to keep up a better rate, then 10 min on skiers edge, followed by hula hooping in each direction while chewing gum (alternating right and left molars). In this way, I get all of my body regions moving in all planes to get ready for ski season.

I am just recovering from a week of mild covid, and am not feeling motivated. Any help to get some butt-kicking going on?
I teach Pilates and walk, trot a little, ignore my spin bike which is about 4 feet away from me right now so I’m considered pretty fit. Plus my sailing. Your pre-Covid workout has me panting mentally! Start out again just leaving the house going for a walk and seeing how gorgeous the world is. At least the gorgeous parts are gorgeous! Get the endorphins going again and likely you will be back where you were.

and if that doesn’t work think about skiing! It’s getting closer! :thumbsup:

Matro

Angel Diva
Thanks so much Abbi!! It is a gorgeous autumn day in New England. I have taken walks this weekend and that has been really nice. I teach pilates too!! (but not last week and this week ):

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks so much Abbi!! It is a gorgeous autumn day in New England. I have taken walks this weekend and that has been really nice. I teach pilates too!! (but not last week and this week ):
I am in Rhode Island so I am also enjoying autumn! I taught online at seven this morning. Apparently I taught a pretty stiff Magic Circle class as one of my clients commented that I was apparently all wound up and ready to go!

MissySki

Angel Diva
, followed by hula hooping in each direction while chewing gum (alternating right and left molars). In this way, I get all of my body regions moving in all planes to get ready for ski season.

I’m confused about the gum chewing thing while hula hooping, is this really a thing? What does chewing gum do??

Matro

Angel Diva
Its a concept: think about your body as being made up of 3 snowballs: head, ribcage and pelvis. Ideally, you want each snow ball to have the ability to move independently of each other for flow: for walking, running and especially skiing. If you can hula hoop in each direction, thats a great start, especially for your lower and middle "snow balls". If you want to challenge your upper "snow ball" to be free, than chew a piece of gum on the right set of molars, and then switch for a while to the left molars. Can you picture each of your snow balls moving more freely?

MissySki

Angel Diva
Its a concept: think about your body as being made up of 3 snowballs: head, ribcage and pelvis. Ideally, you want each snow ball to have the ability to move independently of each other for flow: for walking, running and especially skiing. If you can hula hoop in each direction, thats a great start, especially for your lower and middle "snow balls". If you want to challenge your upper "snow ball" to be free, than chew a piece of gum on the right set of molars, and then switch for a while to the left molars. Can you picture each of your snow balls moving more freely?
Interesting concept, okay I see now. I had never thought about it that way including the head as well.

I have actually been interested in hula hooping.. do you have a recommendation for the one you use for fitness?

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Painfully clear! It’s being in Teaser and circling my hands one way and my feet the other!! :wink:

MissySki

Angel Diva
I really like the one made by "Spinsterz"; they were very helpful with choosing the correct size for me
Anywhere to buy these where shipping isn't so expensive?? I'm admittedly spoiled like most with usually finding cheap or free shipping nowadays.. so the fact that they want over $13 to ship a hula hoop is currently keeping me from pulling the trigger. I'd honestly rather they make the hoop a bit more expensive versus telling me I need to pay around 30% of the cost extra for shipping. :cry:

Matro

Angel Diva
Sorry MissySki,

I don't have experience with other vendors, although I am sure they exist. I liked their vibe and that they seemed like a mom and pop type shop, with good customer service.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I was watching a Deb Armstrong conditioning video and she was using a chalk drawn agility ladder for foot quickness and balance work. It looked fun, so I just ordered a cheapo agility ladder to play with. I prefer to use it inside, so chalk wouldn't work.

Does anyone use one, and any suggestions of workouts or classes? I saw a lot on Youtube..

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know some of us thrived physically during the pandemic with more time to work out and such. I unfortunately was a stress basket who found solace in cooking. Well, after a 4 year hiatus (I hurt myself doing jumping lunges week one on bosu balls in ski fitness pre pandemic),I am finally signed up and taking ski fitness classes again. I found the gym where I know the least people, a big challenge in a tiny town, and swallowed my shame at having grown a few sizes and am so thankful that I did so. While I am struggling more than I ever did with asthma and fitness challenges, it is so fun and feels so good to finally be back into the mode I love. One where the promise of cold weather...or maybe not so cold weather, and snow, are driving my motivation, now that I finally made it over the hump.

I know many of us do well at home. For me going to a class is the only way. I am great about hiking and getting outside or jumping on the exercise bike or rower, but not about drills at home.

I wish for all those of you who are worried about this coming winter and want to get the most out of the season, to seize the day and no matter how little, get a jump start on winter ski fitness.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna