• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What are you afraid of ?

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So this podcast just popped up yesterday and I highly recommend a listen. One of the participants Taylor Rapley is absolutely brilliant, I've been wanting to take part in one her workshops for ages now and after hearing her on this I definitely want to make it happen.

marzNC

Angel Diva
For those who deal with fear while on the slopes, another good resource is that book by Mermer Blakeslee called A Conversation with Fear, 2010. The original title was In the Yikes! Zone, published in 2002. There are excerpts on her website.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here's the link to a video that follows Janina Kuzma and Sam Smoothys attempt on Mt Tasman, she talks about it in the podcast. Great to know that the pro's get scared too!
When I get into that zone when I'm not sure if its safe or I feel I haven't got the necessary skills to proceed I say "That's ok the mountain's trying to tell me that she dosen't want me there today" and somehow it makes me feel better about my decision to pull out.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I liked a concept that was often repeated to me for my brief foray into climbing. When people said they were afraid of heights the reply was "Great, I want you as my partner, not some fearless person who won't analyze the situation and keep me safe". The same applies to skiing even when we ski along in bounds.

I dread others. On my bike, in my car, on a plane or the slopes. I pay attention, letnidiots pass, chose my runs to avoid certain users and mix of conditions.

I also fear loosing an edge and tree collisions at high speed, but the feeling is so fantastic it is hard to reign in the enthusiasm.

I think fear is useful at times, and there is no right way to manage it best as we are all so different. Over analyzing can be catastrophic for some and not others. Understand thebsource can help though.

Fear of failure is sometimes more of a hindrance than fear of injury for me.

So many good podcasts, books and articles. Best to reread the ones that resonate most than try to find solutions in thebones that don't.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For some strange reason I am less fearful this year. I always over analysed situations (skiing or otherwise) and ended up missing out on opportunities. I'm not sure why, I haven't consciously done anything to get over being fearful in certain situations but I definitely feel more confident this year.
Maybe its the whole covid thing, maybe its because I have more self belief, maybe its because I got in a heli at the end of last season after being terrified of them for years, who knows but I'm rolling with it :smile:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dreamofskiing