• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: What are the best ski gloves? I have Reynolds syndrome in my hands and need really warm gloves.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I have Raynaud's and am on medication to increase my circulation. The best I have found so far are the Black Diamond Mercury Mitt. I also have a pair of Hestra mitts, and for me they are a very close #2. If the men's Mercury fits, then choose that over the women's as it has slightly more insulation. Hand warmers are still essential.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There are also battery-powered heated gloves.

But if you don't mind spending money and looking flashy, Astis mitts are bar none the warmest mittens I've ever worn. On days when I need a chemical hand warmer in my Hestra mitts, I can wear my Astis mitts without any assistance.

You'll notice that both Lisa and I gave you lists of mittens, not gloves. Gloves will never be as warm as mittens. The sooner you embrace mittens, the sooner your hands will be happy.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Right, in my opinion there are no gloves that will work! I didn't even address that, just suggested a mitt.

I keep looking at Astis, but the fur...it's real. I can't get past that, but I do hear they are fabulously warm.

Oh, Edit! Wait, they make a mid cuff mitten that doesn't appear to have fur! @bounceswoosh , do yours have beading? If so, how does that hold up?

elemmac

Angel Diva
Agreed...mittens are the warmest gloves.

I have a pair of Oakley Factory Mitts that have always kept me warm enough. Also a pair of Oakley gloves which are the only gloves I can remember ever liking.

beckylh84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hestra Heli Mitt. They also make a battery heated glove. I have heard great things about the BD mercury, but have no experience with BD gloves.

I love my mittens, can't recall what brand but I wear them on the coldest of days with one of those bean bag hand warmer things and I feel no pain. Unless the day is really friggen cold I wear gloves because my hands tend to get hot pretty quickly so mittens are often too much for me. If its really not a cold day and gloves are even too much I wear these thin little gloves that you can get at target for $4.99.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Right, in my opinion there are no gloves that will work! I didn't even address that, just suggested a mitt.

I keep looking at Astis, but the fur...it's real. I can't get past that, but I do hear they are fabulously warm.

Oh, Edit! Wait, they make a mid cuff mitten that doesn't appear to have fur! @bounceswoosh , do yours have beading? If so, how does that hold up?

Yeah, I held off for about a year because of the real fur ... but eventually, I just gave in. I do think the length of the long mitt may play into the warmth ...

Anyway, I've only had the Astis mitts for half a season, and I don't wear them every day - just really cold days. A couple of beads have fallen out - literally maybe two - but that's it.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I may put the Astis mid cuff on my Christmas list for around town wear!

How is the battery life on the Thermic heated mitts @Jilly ? I have been reading about the Outdoor Research Lucent and there seems to be a consensus that battery life is not as expected. Man, none of this comes cheap though. Thermic $429, OR $350. I think the heated socks are going to have to take priority!

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I love my mittens, can't recall what brand but I wear them on the coldest of days with one of those bean bag hand warmer things and I feel no pain. Unless the day is really friggen cold I wear gloves because my hands tend to get hot pretty quickly so mittens are often too much for me. If its really not a cold day and gloves are even too much I wear these thin little gloves that you can get at target for $4.99.

Wow, you are on the wrong thread, lol! Your circulation sounds like my hubby's. Even walking from the parking lot to the lodge in regular mittens, my hands start to turn colors. On the warmest April ski days my Heli lobster claws are just enough that I can forgo the hand warmers. Every other day I wear the Hestra Heli Mitt or the Black Diamond Mercury with 1-2 sets of hand warmers.

Heck, I go to 40+ degree soccer games in insulated boots and mitts, and of course, a hat!

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Yeah, I held off for about a year because of the real fur ... but eventually, I just gave in.

If anyone is considering Astis, I did some sleuthing and the fur on the long and short cuff styles is rabbit, sourced from Spain, and a product of the food industry. The fur-free mid cuff is a new style this season.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If anyone is considering Astis, I did some sleuthing and the fur on the long and short cuff styles is rabbit, sourced from Spain, and a product of the food industry. The fur-free mid cuff is a new style this season.

I would be interested in that sleuthing - I tried to find that info, and never got anything useful.

Jilly

Staff member
Yeah, the battery life isn't all that great. But if I'm wearing them, then it's too cold for a full day anyways!. I try to keep them on the first setting, but sometimes I need the 2nd.

And I really, really hate mitts!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
They are really cute!!!

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I would be interested in that sleuthing - I tried to find that info, and never got anything useful.
I emailed the company directly - very prompt, very personal responses.

elemmac

Angel Diva
I had never heard of Astis before, but after a quick search now I want a pair!

@bounceswoosh how does the sizing run? On their chart I'd be a small, but right on the fence of being a medium...

cheerrabbit

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am debating buying Free the Powder mittens for really cold days. Anyone have experience with these?
My son and I have the mittens. I love them. But our winter was fairly mild in terms of temperature by the time I received them. I was fine in the 10s-20s, sweating in the 30s. But once we switched to these, we haven't used hand warmers.
Oh, and I found that Shannon was wonderful to talk with when I was debating sizes.
I want to pick up a pair of gloves too but that will be later.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
My son and I have the mittens. I love them. But our winter was fairly mild in terms of temperature by the time I received them. I was fine in the 10s-20s, sweating in the 30s. But once we switched to these, we haven't used hand warmers.
Oh, and I found that Shannon was wonderful to talk with when I was debating sizes.
I want to pick up a pair of gloves too but that will be later.

Great price on the Free the Powder mitts! I bet they would work really well for most. That said, they have 200g of insulation and the Black Diamond Mercury have 340g. I use hand warmers with the Black Diamond, and still am icy after a few runs in New England chill. Best I have found so far though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly