• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What are Divas reading?

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I went on a small binge with climate change dystopias recently, which I don't necessarily recommend, but I did enjoy all of these to whatever extent you can enjoy a climate change dystopia in 2021.
Super dicey from a mental well-being perspective but I do enjoy them anyway.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Super dicey from a mental well-being perspective
I limit how much horror I read. I will never read certain Stephen King titles. I don't watch horror movies either or I steel myself when I do. It's not so much the gore as the psychological tension that gets to me.
Holy cow!
Yes! I just finished it. Great book.

newboots

Angel Diva
No horror for me, thanks. I had a collection of mysteries to read when I was recovering from something. Finally, only a Stephen King novel remained. I read it out of desperation, but it haunted me for years, and I hated reading it. I wish I never had. I think it was Misery.

Thank goodness, I can’t remember much about it any more.

I also suffer with dystopian novels/movies. Possibly this sensitivity comes from years of working with survivors of absolutely unthinkable childhood trauma.

Rainbow Jenny

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just finished “Where the Crawdads Sing” and “Spirit Run” about 6,000 mile run across North America with native land and culture theme.

Midst of Joko Beck’s “Everyday Zen” and “Book of Joy” conversation between Dalai Lama and Archbishop Desmond Tutu which I see myself re-reading and keeping both on my nightstand.

George Saunders “A Swim in a Pond in the Rain” about Russian short stories is slow going, especially since trying to write along. Re-reading Hans Roslings “Factfulness.”

Too many started but unfinished books this year.

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just finished Elly Griffith's latest in the Dr Ruth Galloway series - good page-turning stuff, undemanding but perfect when you're in the mood for an archaeologists and police drama.

I don't think I've recommended him before but if anyone enjoys supernaturally-tinged murder mysteries or just a really good read, I can't say enough good things about Phil Rickman. His Merrily Watkins series is excellent - about a female vicar in a small English village who finds herself working as an exorcist. Spooky and really well written, more about human nature than ghosts and demons. As a bonus, it may also get you into listening to the music of Nick Drake...

Jenny

Angel Diva
Just finished Elly Griffith's latest in the Dr Ruth Galloway series - good page-turning stuff, undemanding but perfect when you're in the mood for an archaeologists and police drama.

I don't think I've recommended him before but if anyone enjoys supernaturally-tinged murder mysteries or just a really good read, I can't say enough good things about Phil Rickman. His Merrily Watkins series is excellent - about a female vicar in a small English village who finds herself working as an exorcist. Spooky and really well written, more about human nature than ghosts and demons. As a bonus, it may also get you into listening to the music of Nick Drake...
She likes Nick Drake? I've got one CD - need to check the books now.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I went on a small binge with climate change dystopias recently, which I don't necessarily recommend, but I did enjoy all of these to whatever extent you can enjoy a climate change dystopia in 2021.

The Ministry for the Future - About as hopeful as this kind of book can be. Gets a little mired in theory rants as KSR is prone to do imho but I liked the story quite a bit.
New York 2140 - As much about NYC as climate. The drastically changed world is kind of "just" the backdrop for the
I adore Kim Stanley Robinson. He is a master of literary and scientific science fiction.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I am listening to Home Front by Kristen Hannah. All her books I have read so far are excellent - The Nightingale, Winter Garden, The Four Winds, The Great Alone....

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It was the VW commercial with Pink Moon that made me search him out.
I'd not heard of him until I read Phil Rickman. I remember asking a friend who's very into folk and alt-country if he'd heard of Nick Drake and his face just lit up (he thought it was very funny that I'd heard of him via what sounds like a horror story).

altagirl

Staff member
"Horror" as a genre just isn't specific enough to what bothers me. Anything I can rationalize my way out of being in that situation is totally fine. Don't go in any creepy abandoned houses at night.... don't talk to clowns hiding in a storm drain.... :rotf: The ones that I can't? Okay then I'm in trouble.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
FWIW I am reading “A Conversation with Fear” (reading slowly because I read later at night)… and I know many of you are no strangers to the book. I’m loving it.

gingerjess

Angel Diva
I'm revisiting my teen years and rereading the Twilight series. It's not fine literature, but it's interesting to go back to it as an adult and be able to actually point to the individual things that drew me into it when I was younger.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I'm revisiting my teen years and rereading the Twilight series. It's not fine literature, but it's interesting to go back to it as an adult and be able to actually point to the individual things that drew me into it when I was younger.

I looooved the Twilight series, and I definitely wasn't a teen when it came out lol. I held out for awhile because usually the subject matter wouldn't be my cup of tea and it seemed like a kids' series, but eventually gave in on reading it when it was absolutely everywhere.. and then went to see every movie (some on opening night) as well. It also started my seeking out other vampire series afterward for quite awhile. Most notably, True Blood and Vampire Diaries which I also enjoyed reading and watching. :rotf:

Christy

Angel Diva
I just finished (and loved) Between Two Kingdoms: A Memoir of a Life Interrupted. Maybe some of you saw Suleika's "Life Interrupted" column in the NY Times where she, starting at age 22, chronicled her Leukemia treatment. Boy was this a good book for making me grateful for my own very minor in comparison medical issues. After 4 years of treatment she is well enough to take a 15000 mile road trip with her dog to meet people that she corresponded with during that time. I was so unexpectedly moved by her meeting with an inmate on death row in Texas who wrote to her after reading her column.

1636145950938.png

Tvan

Angel Diva
I Just finished Naomi Novak’s book “Deadly Education” as an audio book. It’s not a genre that I usually appreciate, but DH introduced me to this book and I really liked the chemistry between the characters. I’ve started the sequel, “The Last Graduate”, which promises more of the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly