• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What are Divas reading?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
On the lighter side...

I'm whipping through Elin Hildebrand's books. I'd never heard of her until I read this NY Times article about her essential reads. They are the very definition of a summer read and boy do they hit the spot. All I want to do this summer is sit by my new waterfall with an Elin Hildebrand book.
28 Summers was the beach read of all beach reads.

newboots

Angel Diva
From casually being in her house and sharing an Amazon account, I think my daughter has read at least a couple dozen!

Tvan

Angel Diva
I have a slew of Elin Hilderbrand books on my kindle, including 28 summers, which is my read for next week's vacation.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Another good read is Dragonfly by Leila Meacham. Highly recommend.

Winethief

Diva in Training
"We, The Drowned by Carsten Jensen". Maybe mentioned before, was translated from Danish in 2010. Historical fiction, hooked me from the start. I loved every moment, overwhelmingly beautiful prose...I still think about it!

Last edited:

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Jimmy Barnes' autobiographies. How that man 1) survived his childhood, and 2) survived his adulthood I don't know!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Two excellent books I've read recently:

The Tiger: A True Story of Vengeance and Survival: This is nonfiction. It's about Siberian tigers in Russia's far East, and particularly focusing on a tiger who's attacked and killed a few residents. The book examines the area's ecosystem and history and the relationship between people and tigers. It's fantastic.

This is Happiness by Niall Williams: This is probably one of the loveliest books I've read in a long while. It's a coming of age novel that takes place in Ireland, focusing on a young man who spends a memorable summer at his grandparents just after the second World War. The writing is gorgeous and it really takes you to a time and place that don't exist anymore. Highly recommend. Named a Best Book of the Year by the Washington Post (as was my husband's book FINN -- just thought I'd put that out there) and long-listed for the Booker Prize.

Bookworm

Angel Diva
THE TIGER, is one of my all-time faves. I'm reading BLONDE by Joyce Carol Oates, which is brilliant, and a new fun book called AGATHA OF LITTLE NEON which is a new first novel. I heard Maureen Corrigan review it the other day and it sounds so wonderful - about a young nun - and she really praised her writing.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
THE TIGER, is one of my all-time faves.

I just finished THE GOLDEN SPRUCE by the same author (John Valliant), which was also really good. Also non-fiction, about the logging industry in British Columbia and the Queen Charlotte Islands, and about a particular tree that was taken down by a local eco-terrorist.

Bookworm

Angel Diva
I just finished THE GOLDEN SPRUCE by the same author (John Valliant), which was also really good. Also non-fiction, about the logging industry in British Columbia and the Queen Charlotte Islands, and about a particular tree that was taken down by a local eco-terrorist.
I think that was his first book. I've not read it, but I heard it's great.

newboots

Angel Diva

Wait. The eco-terrorist took down a tree?

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Am reading The Sun is a Compass by Caroline Van Hemert. Excellent and amazing adventure story, non-fiction. 4,000 miles from Bellingham, WA to a remote point in western Alaska, by rowboat, pack raft, skis, and on foot. Here's a route map.

Attachments

• 1630515740993.png
    1630515740993.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 1

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
I went on a small binge with climate change dystopias recently, which I don't necessarily recommend, but I did enjoy all of these to whatever extent you can enjoy a climate change dystopia in 2021.

The Ministry for the Future - About as hopeful as this kind of book can be. Gets a little mired in theory rants as KSR is prone to do imho but I liked the story quite a bit.
New York 2140 - As much about NYC as climate. The drastically changed world is kind of "just" the backdrop for the story.
The Water Knife - Dark. Doesn't seem totally unrealistic and therefore pretty scary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly