• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What are Divas reading?

Kika35

Certified Ski Diva
Recently I discovered Chris Bohjalian and read 3 of his books in quick succession:
  • The Flight Attendent - my favorite of the 3
  • The Guest Room
  • The Sleepwalker - close 2nd to Flight Attendent
All 3 have strong sexual and violent themes. Three are enough for me for the time being!

I was late to discoverer Chris Bohjalian too. My absolute favourite of his is "Skeletons at the Feast". Have you read it?

Kika35

Certified Ski Diva
I am a pretty avid reader and, having a 3 hours round trip commute to and from work each day, audio books are my go to now. I used to get CDs from the library, but now have an Audible account.

Currently, I am listening to (and loving) Bill Bryson's "The Body: A Guide for Occupants". I have read most of his other stuff as well.

newboots

Angel Diva
Bill Bryson is wonderful! I loved his book about the Appalachian Trail. (A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail). An oldie but I reread it from time to time.

Bookworm

Angel Diva
My favorite Bill Bryson is The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid. It’s about his life growing up in the 50s in Iowa and it’s hilarious. Highly recommended.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am a big fan of Jon Krakauer. "Into the Wild" was my favourite of his, and I also really liked "Under the Banner of Heaven".

Yes, those were very good. I never read "Into the Wild" because I read a longer excerpt of it in Outside magazine a long time ago.

I was late to discoverer Chris Bohjalian too. My absolute favourite of his is "Skeletons at the Feast". Have you read it?
No, I haven't. But I'll put it on the to-read list.

Bill Bryson's Notes From A Small Island was great, but Tales from a Sunburnt Country is my favorite. It's good to have books I'm anticipating getting to read, his others are on that list.

Last edited:

Kika35

Certified Ski Diva
My favorite Bill Bryson is The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid. It’s about his life growing up in the 50s in Iowa and it’s hilarious. Highly recommended.

I loved that one too. I think my favorite might be “In a Sunburnt Country”, but I also loved “Neither Here Nor There” and “A Short History of Nearly Everything”.

Kika35

Certified Ski Diva
Yes, those were very good. I never read "Into the Wild" because I read a longer excerpt of it in Outside magazine a long time ago.

No, I haven't. But I'll put it on the to-read list.

Bill Bryson's Notes From A Small Island was great, but Tales from a Sunburnt Country is my favorite. It's good to have books I'm anticipating getting to read, his others are on that list.

I have over 300 titles on my”To Read” shelf on Goodreads

Rainbow Jenny

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Trying to finish up "Homo Deus: A History of Tomorrow" by Yuval Noah Harari before the end of this year. Read earlier this year by the same author "Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind" (1st book) which I highly recommend and "21 Lessons for the 21st Century."

Just read Kindle samples of Chris Diamond's

"SKI INC: My Journal through four decades in the ski resort business, from the founding entrepreneurs to mega-companies"

And "SKI INC 2020: Alterra Counters Vail Resorts: Mega-Passes Transform the Landscape; The industry responds and flourishes, for skiing: A North American Renaissance"

Co-authored by former Ski magazine author Andy Bigford. Haven't committed to purchase as I cannot find these from library catalogues. Like @Kika35 and @COcanuck, ample books on to read shelves.

Recently finished Michael Pollan's "How to 'Change Your Mind: What the new science of psychedelics teaches us about consciousness, dying, addiction, depression, and transcendence." Fascinating and timely subject with the revival of psychedelics plus micro-dosing for therapeutic purposes under FDA sanctioned-clinical trials and administered under supervision during the entire "trip."

Really want to read some fiction but "There There" by Tommy Orange is sad... need lighter novels!

Rainbow Jenny

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I read this one a few years ago and loved it. It is one of those books that is hard to put down. These days I am reading "The Moment of Lift: How Empowering Women Changes the World" by Melinda Gates. It looks at all the projects the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation does to help women in developing countries so that they can be on more equal footing with men. Very interesting read.

I enjoy book reviews by Melinda's husband and usually read a few of them. Her first book is also on my radar, thanks for the reminder.

Just recently reread Bill Sr's "Showing Up for Life: Thoughts on the Gifts of a Lifetime." First reading over a decade ago was shortly after publication when a friend, one of the first BMGF hires, was given the book at work. Bill Sr. seems like a fine nanogenerian gentleman who definitely provided the impetus for the creation of the foundation. And I am working on showing up more for life.

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Just read Kindle samples of Chris Diamond's

"SKI INC: My Journal through four decades in the ski resort business, from the founding entrepreneurs to mega-companies"

And "SKI INC 2020: Alterra Counters Vail Resorts: Mega-Passes Transform the Landscape; The industry responds and flourishes, for skiing: A North American Renaissance"
Haven't bought Ski Inc. yet but thoroughly enjoyed Ski Inc. 2000. Pulled together the info I've been reading for the last 4-5 years online. Helps that Diamond worked in more than one region. They clearly had to scramble during Summer 2019 after the announcement of the Vail Resorts buy out of Peak Resorts.

Kika35

Certified Ski Diva
Recently finished Michael Pollan's "How to 'Change Your Mind: What the new science of psychedelics teaches us about consciousness, dying, addiction, depression, and transcendence." Fascinating and timely subject with the revival of psychedelics plus micro-dosing for therapeutic purposes under FDA sanctioned-clinical trials and administered under supervision during the entire "trip."

Really want to read some fiction but "There There" by Tommy Orange is sad... need lighter novels!

I don’t generally do light reads either :smile:

The Michael Pollan book sounds really interesting. I will definately check it out. Unfortunately I have cluster headaches, so I have some knowledge/experience with the therapeutic use of psychedelics. Its exciting to hear about how they are being used successfully to treat PTSD, addictions & palliative care patients.

Last edited:

AliceB

Angel Diva
On my trip I enjoyed 3 ski mysteries (the two "Ski Diva" books -- thanks, Ski Diva! -- and an oldie but goodie, Dead Men Don't Ski (Patricia Moyes), and didn't finish Beneath a Scarlet Sky (Sullivan). Got Bill Bryson's Shakespeare book for my husband for Christmas on account of the Bryson recommendations here, and he liked it quite a bit.

Second the "Straight Man" recommendation! If you're in the market for laugh-out-loud funny (and have a taste for very English-eccentric humor), I noticed in my browsing that Lawrence Durrell's "Diplomatic Adventures" which have been out of print for ages are available as a Kindle set.

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Recently I discovered Chris Bohjalian and read 3 of his books in quick succession:
  • The Flight Attendent - my favorite of the 3
  • The Guest Room
  • The Sleepwalker - close 2nd to Flight Attendent
All 3 have strong sexual and violent themes. Three are enough for me for the time being!

The Flight Attendant was awesome. Crazy.

judeb

Certified Ski Diva
Did you know that it was made into a movie?
I loved the book, so much so that now one of my goals is to walk the appalachian trail, but I couldn't get along with the movie at all. The actors, while great, just didn't line up with the picture I had in my head from reading.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly