• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What are Divas reading?

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Omigod, that's awful. And kind of funny, too.

Update: I was able to buy the trilogy on eBay for under $10. If anyone is interested, I'm happy to share. But see my post above...like Chris Bohjalian, the subject matter is gritty and seedy, except it's set in Glasgow and London rather than New York and Vermont.

For a mind-palate cleanser, I think Anne of Green Gables is my next read.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
As always stuck in my mostly historical fiction rut....

The War at Troy/The Return from Troy Lindsay Clark This a modern interpretation of the Illiad and Odyssey; modern in that the langauge of the story is contemporary english, with characters and events fleshed out into a novel format. I really enjoyed these.

Just finished The Fox and The Bear (Siluiran #1) (L.A. Wilson) which is of all things a new take on the Arthur story. I didn't think anything new could be done with this tale. This is a start of a series that looks at Arthur, his charisma, his start as a youthful commander, and his relationships with the (mostly) men in his army and world. I really enjoyed these, too.

Just started "Sword of Kings" Bernard Cornwell. This is #12 of the Last Kingdon (Saxon Tales) about Uthred of Bebbanburgh and King Alfred's dream of Englaland. What can I say, Uthred is the best arrogant bastard ever dreamed up in fiction, and it's only partially fiction.

kiki

Angel Diva
I’m working through « into thin air » about Everest, it’s quite interesting. Explores the lead up of events prior to a tragedy on hill in 1996 and is written by a journalist, so quite factual with lots of fascinating tidbits. Explores what drives people to push themselves to these type of endeavors.

Christy

Angel Diva
Have been thoroughly enjoying listening to This Is The Story of A Happy Marriage by Ann Patchett. It's a collection of essays that are generally autobiographical, but were written for various magazines over the years.

I liked that too. I'll read anything by Ann Patchett. I'm currently reading her latest novel, The Dutch House, which is quite good.

QCskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’m working through « into thin air » about Everest, it’s quite interesting. Explores the lead up of events prior to a tragedy on hill in 1996 and is written by a journalist, so quite factual with lots of fascinating tidbits. Explores what drives people to push themselves to these type of endeavors.

I read this one a few years ago and loved it. It is one of those books that is hard to put down. These days I am reading "The Moment of Lift: How Empowering Women Changes the World" by Melinda Gates. It looks at all the projects the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation does to help women in developing countries so that they can be on more equal footing with men. Very interesting read.

newboots

Angel Diva
The last book I listened to was Save Me The Plums by Ruth Reichl. It’s a bout her time as the editor of Gourmet magazine and it’s so wonderful. She’s such a great writer, but having her read the memoir is such a treat because her voice is so sumptuous!

I love all of Reichl’s books. I thought her memoir was a little self-congratulatory, but not anywhere near enough to overshadow the great writing, her sense of humor, and the page-turner this book is.

newboots

Angel Diva
Recently I discovered Chris Bohjalian and read 3 of his books in quick succession:
  • The Flight Attendent - my favorite of the 3
  • The Guest Room
  • The Sleepwalker - close 2nd to Flight Attendent
All 3 have strong sexual and violent themes. Three are enough for me for the time being!

I loved The Midwife, but one did have to take a rest afterward!

Bookworm

Angel Diva
He's got a new one next March called The Red Lotus: "
From the #1 New York Times bestselling author of Midwives and The Flight Attendant comes a twisting story of love and deceit: an American man vanishes on a rural road in Vietnam, and his girlfriend, an emergency room doctor trained to ask questions, follows a path that leads her home to the very hospital where they met.

The first time Alexis saw Austin, it was a Saturday night. Not in a bar, but in the emergency room where Alexis sutured a bullet wound in Austin’s arm. Six months later, on the brink of falling in love, they travel to Vietnam on a bike tour so that Austin can show her his passion for cycling and he can pay his respects to the place where his father and uncle fought in the war. But as Alexis sips white wine and waits at the hotel for him to return from his solo ride, two men emerge from the tall grass and Austin vanishes into thin air. The only clue he leaves behind is a bright yellow energy gel dropped on the road. As Alexis grapples with this bewildering loss, and deals with the FBI, Austin’s prickly family, and her colleagues at the hospital, Alexis uncovers a series of strange lies that force her to wonder: Where did Austin go? Why did he really bring her to Vietnam? And how much danger has he left her in? Set amidst the adrenaline-fueled world of the emergency room, The Red Lotus is a global thriller about those who dedicate their lives to saving people, and those who peddle death to the highest bidder."

COcanuck

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Any YA/Fantasy fans out there? I tend to alternate between WWII non-fiction and a bunch of medical books for my work, but I love sitting down with a fun fantasy! I've recently read the "Mortal Instruments" and "Clockwork Angel" series by Cassandra Clare in quick succession. Not the highest form of writing but definitely fun!

I just finished reading all of the Harry Potter books with my 6 year old, she loved them!

Jenny

Angel Diva
Any YA/Fantasy fans out there? I tend to alternate between WWII non-fiction and a bunch of medical books for my work, but I love sitting down with a fun fantasy! I've recently read the "Mortal Instruments" and "Clockwork Angel" series by Cassandra Clare in quick succession. Not the highest form of writing but definitely fun!

I just finished reading all of the Harry Potter books with my 6 year old, she loved them!
I like the Susan Cooper The Dark Is Rising books a lot. Almost always read the one with that title at this time of year, since that’s when it’s set.

COcanuck

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like the Susan Cooper The Dark Is Rising books a lot. Almost always read the one with that title at this time of year, since that’s when it’s set.

Some of my favorite books too! I'm debating whether to read those or the Golden Compass series with my kiddo after we're done Lemony Snicket...

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Golden Compass series is great but it is dark. To me, it's on the adult side of YA.

COcanuck

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Golden Compass series is great but it is dark. To me, it's on the adult side of YA.

That's why I've been putting those off a bit, but I was that weird kid who started reading the Hobbit in Grade 1! lol, maybe Roald Dahl next, but some of those are pretty creepy too! There are so many wonderful books to read, my list is never-ending...

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think that was the first Agatha Christie book I read so very long ago. I appreciate the tip @knolan12 , thanks!

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For the past year I have been going to a neighborhood book club. It’s been great to read books i may not have otherwise chosen. For Next month we are reading the Aviators wife.

skiwest

Certified Ski Diva
The Indifferent Stars Above is incredibly harrowing, but it's a great non-fiction book about the Donner Party. Brace yourself if you decide to read it. This book really added a somber tone to my ski days at Sugar Bowl - the resort is basically right on top of the Donner Party's route and stranding.

Kika35

Certified Ski Diva

I am a big fan of Jon Krakauer. "Into the Wild" was my favourite of his, and I also really liked "Under the Banner of Heaven".

I can't say as I understand why anyone would be willing to die to accomplish something like climbing Everest.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly