• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What are Divas reading?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I spend 2 1/2 days reading a murder mystery I checked out from the library, and was close to the very end on p.338, and I find out the book was missing the last pages. So mad.

If anyone knows the ending to "Exile" by Denise Mina, please tell me.

Omigod, that's awful. And kind of funny, too.

I'm reading HAMILTON, a biography of Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow. It's loooong, but really interesting.

Christy

Angel Diva
I am almost done with Prarie Fire: Biography of Laura Ingalls Wilder. This is a really interesing book. It does an excellent job of setting the scene with the economic and political state of the Nation at the time, and weaving in the personal story of LIW. The author examines the controversial relationship with the daughter who all of her mother's editing. I think it is very well done as the author makes me very curious about the politics and economics of the time: railroad robber barons, failed farm policies, the impact of the Homestead Act and more.

I heard about this after the author won a Pulitzer for it and I forgot about it! I will have to check it out. I read an article in a historical journal once on the same subject and it was so interesting.

kiki

Angel Diva
Finished an audio book yesterday — one good deed by David Baldacci. It left me smiling, an interesting look at post war America and the role and perception of women then. And a nice little bit of detective sleuthing.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Reading Big Little Lies. I loved the whole series, the book is good too.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Different enough to be interesting, and very enjoyable in its own right. Go for it!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I just finished "Hamilton," the biography of Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow -- all 818 pages of it. Believe me, that's a lot of Alexander Hamilton!

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've got Hamilton on my Kindle, but haven't got to it yet.

I finished Big Little Lies, which was great and somewhat different from the HBO series (the book is set in Australia, not Monterey Bay, CA). My watching the series and then reading made me see why the actresses portrayed their characters as they did.

Now I'm reading A Man Called Ove.

AliceB

Angel Diva
Looking for reading for my winter break and this thread is a treasure trove! Thanks to all. I can add:
Edith Eger, The Choice
Mischa Berlinski, Fieldwork
Ursula LeGuin, The Left Hand of Darkness

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I have been listening to a lot of books on the drives back and forth to Maine and my kids’ colleges. A few recent fiction listens -

Beartown (Fredrik Bachman) - this was a book club book for me. Small town Maine hockey town torn apart by a scandal. Same author as a Man Called Ove which I read as well awhile back for book club. I have My Grandmother Told Me to Tell You She’s Sorry, another of his books, on my Hold list.

One Day in December (Josie Silver) - easy relationship read but well written. I really enjoy listening to a less serious book every once in awhile!

The Alice Network (Kate Quinn) - female spy network during WWII.

At the Waters Edge (Sarah Gruen) - currently on this one. Loving the writing. I loved Water for Elephants and this is the same author. Also set in WWII.

Bookworm

Angel Diva
Looking for reading for my winter break and this thread is a treasure trove! Thanks to all. I can add:
Edith Eger, The Choice
Mischa Berlinski, Fieldwork
Ursula LeGuin, The Left Hand of Darkness
You might like The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell

Bookworm

Angel Diva
I have been listening to a lot of books on the drives back and forth to Maine and my kids’ colleges. A few recent fiction listens -

Beartown (Fredrik Bachman) - this was a book club book for me. Small town Maine hockey town torn apart by a scandal. Same author as a Man Called Ove which I read as well awhile back for book club. I have My Grandmother Told Me to Tell You She’s Sorry, another of his books, on my Hold list.

One Day in December (Josie Silver) - easy relationship read but well written. I really enjoy listening to a less serious book every once in awhile!

The Alice Network (Kate Quinn) - female spy network during WWII.

At the Waters Edge (Sarah Gruen) - currently on this one. Loving the writing. I loved Water for Elephants and this is the same author. Also set in WWII.
The last book I listened to was Save Me The Plums by Ruth Reichl. It’s a bout her time as the editor of Gourmet magazine and it’s so wonderful. She’s such a great writer, but having her read the memoir is such a treat because her voice is so sumptuous!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Have been thoroughly enjoying listening to This Is The Story of A Happy Marriage by Ann Patchett. It's a collection of essays that are generally autobiographical, but were written for various magazines over the years.

bunnyslopelover

Certified Ski Diva
Once in a lifetime by Chrissie Manby. It is a book about teen romance and a single mother named Dani as well. I recommend it if you are a romance novel addict.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Recently I discovered Chris Bohjalian and read 3 of his books in quick succession:
  • The Flight Attendent - my favorite of the 3
  • The Guest Room
  • The Sleepwalker - close 2nd to Flight Attendent
All 3 have strong sexual and violent themes. Three are enough for me for the time being!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly