• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What are Divas reading?

Jenny

Angel Diva
The Oprah interview that RachelV posted a link to was interesting, too, but don't listen until after you’re done with the book. There were some things she talked about that, knowing the details from the book, struck me as kind of - I dunno - weird/odd, just kind of off somehow.

kiki

Angel Diva
I've been listening to the audio book Dare to Lead by Brene Brown (still) and it is fabulous. Very inspiring about how to deal with fear. Hopefully it will help me get through this ski season better ;-)

Right now looking for something lighthearted and funny to make me laugh when I'm driving. Any good recommendations for something light and entertaining in audio books?

Last edited:

Bookworm

Angel Diva
I highly recommend The Most Fun We Ever Had by Claire Lombardo, a delicious family saga written with great wit. It’s a long book, but doesn’t read that way cuz it’s a page turner!!

MI-skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Jenny @RachelV I just devoured Educated in two evenings after work. I couldn't put it down. It had my heart racing. I so badly wanted to keep her from going back to visit her family. It's so hard for me to imagine suffering that kind of abuse and understanding the ways it would keep you from breaking family ties. I literally just finished half an hour ago and I feel so keyed up I think I'll be up for a while.
Every time I started a new chapter I couldn't believe family members were still alive!

MI-skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not sure if Melcat is nationwide but my library does inter library loaning so I can (almost) always get a book. I still prefer a book, even if it is large print! LOL. Just finished the 100 Yr Old Man Who Climbed Out of a Window. It's a very charming, interesting read. Also read the Underground Railroad-fiction of a slave trying to escape using an actual train system. Almost finished There There but ended up letting it go. I just couldn't get invested enough into the characters. Next up is Kristen Hannah, The Great Alone.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I just finished Hunting Eichmann: How a Band of Survivors and a Young Spy Agency Chased Down the World's Most Notorious Nazi War Criminal. Nonfiction and published in 2008, it's a fascinating account of how Eichmann managed to escape to Argentina after WW2 and how a group of Holocaust survivors tracked him down and got him out of the country to stand trial.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Currently, a compilation of all the Patrick Melrose novels.

MI-skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Finished The Great Alone and what I enjoyed best was the book's setting in Alaska. We just did a family cruise in June and the landscape IS breathtakingly beautiful. For fun, I finished, Then She Was Gone for a quick read. Now onto The Tattooist of Auschwitz.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Finished The Great Alone and what I enjoyed best was the book's setting in Alaska. We just did a family cruise in June and the landscape IS breathtakingly beautiful. For fun, I finished, Then She Was Gone for a quick read. Now onto The Tattooist of Auschwitz.
I just finished The Great Alone and thought it was very good but was kind of depressing. also read Then She Was Gone! And am interested in The Tattooist of Auschwitz as well.

Bookworm

Angel Diva
After all the posts on Patrick Melrose, I looked it up. TY for the suggestions. I might have to watch this as I do Love Benedict Cumberbatch.
He is very good in the tv movie - excellent, in fact. And the character is much more sympathetic than he is in the books, but that just might be because I like Cumberbatch so much.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
God, I loved those books! What an interesting awful person.

I was wondering why you called him awful b/c I found him very sympathetic in the show, but I see your other post. I've only read the first book so far.

After all the posts on Patrick Melrose, I looked it up. TY for the suggestions. I might have to watch this as I do Love Benedict Cumberbatch.

It's really very good. It's probably my 2nd favorite role Cumberbatch has played, with Sherlock being my favorite.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Been having fun with Google Earth. Just finished The Queen's Embroiderer and spent time looking up the places mentioned that still exist. Now over to England with Daughters of the Winter Queen.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I've been listening to the audio book Dare to Lead by Brene Brown (still) and it is fabulous. Very inspiring about how to deal with fear. Hopefully it will help me get through this ski season better ;-)

Right now looking for something lighthearted and funny to make me laugh when I'm driving. Any good recommendations for something light and entertaining in audio books?
Anything by Carl Hiaassen

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I am almost done with Prarie Fire: Biography of Laura Ingalls Wilder. This is a really interesing book. It does an excellent job of setting the scene with the economic and political state of the Nation at the time, and weaving in the personal story of LIW. The author examines the controversial relationship with the daughter who all of her mother's editing. I think it is very well done as the author makes me very curious about the politics and economics of the time: railroad robber barons, failed farm policies, the impact of the Homestead Act and more.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I spend 2 1/2 days reading a murder mystery I checked out from the library, and was close to the very end on p.338, and I find out the book was missing the last pages. So mad.

If anyone knows the ending to "Exile" by Denise Mina, please tell me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gilly1965