• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What are Divas reading?

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Bookworm , Trustee from the Toolroom by Nevil Shute is just like that. Anachronistic, a mild-mannered engineer takes on far-fetched quest out of principle, and the rest of the story is quite a ride.

Christy

Angel Diva
Glad you liked it! Funny, I also saw that book mentioned earlier today here:
https://www.gatesnotes.com/About-Bill-Gates/Best-Books-2018

Bill Gates regularly publishes lists like that and in my experience they've always got at least one suggestion that I end up really really enjoying.

@Jenny @RachelV I just devoured Educated in two evenings after work. I couldn't put it down. It had my heart racing. I so badly wanted to keep her from going back to visit her family. It's so hard for me to imagine suffering that kind of abuse and understanding the ways it would keep you from breaking family ties. I literally just finished half an hour ago and I feel so keyed up I think I'll be up for a while.

Jenny

Angel Diva
@Jenny @RachelV I just devoured Educated in two evenings after work. I couldn't put it down. It had my heart racing. I so badly wanted to keep her from going back to visit her family. It's so hard for me to imagine suffering that kind of abuse and understanding the ways it would keep you from breaking family ties. I literally just finished half an hour ago and I feel so keyed up I think I'll be up for a while.
I know - it was powerful, wasn't it?

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I can't help it, I stick with my sci-fi escapism. I am currently working my way through the Company Wars and Alliance/Union Universe books by C J Cherryh. She has a new one that is set at the beginning of the timeline, Alliance Rising. Her books are heavy on politics and exposition which I love. Currently reading Finity's End.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’m currently listening to ‘Daisy Jones and The Six’ in the car. And reading ‘Less’. And whatever is on my Kindle this weekend when I go to Block Island!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I read "Educated," too, and was amazed by the obstacles the author overcame. A truly incredible story.

I just finished "The Mars Room" by Rachel Kushner, a novel about an ex-stripper who's in prison for murdering a stalker. Very sad. I also recently read "The Snakehead" by Patrick Radden Keefe. This is non-fiction, and it's about human smuggling from China to the US during the 1980's. Riveting.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Just finished listening to Jackie's Girl: My Life with the Kennedy Family by Kathy McKeon. Very interested insights into the era starting in 1964, with a glimpse into what Irish immigrants in New York City were facing in the 1960's and 1970s. Would be a good read, but the audio version actress was very good with all the accents so it was like a play in sections.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I just finished The Piano Tuner by Daniel Mason. This isn't a new book -- it was published in 2002 -- so I'm not sure how I missed it. It's about a middle-aged piano tuner in the late 1800's who's commissioned by the British War Office to tune a rare piano belonging to an eccentric army surgeon in the remote jungles of northeast Burma. Part Laurence of Arabia, part Heart of Darkness, the story is fascinating and the writing is lovely. Highly recommend.

Last edited:

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Blankets, a graphic novel by Craig Thompson

Tvan

Angel Diva
Just finished an overnight read of “Educated”. Wow. Rough read but powerful. This is the first book I’ve read in awhile.

I’ve been listening to audio books on my long commute. I was on a Brene Brown bender and went through 5 of her books in quick succession. I love hearing her read her own work and think she has some important things to say about vulnerability and shame.

I enjoyed hearing Michelle Obama read “Becoming” and I learned a lot about the Obama years from a different perspective. I also enjoyed Melinda Gates “The Moment of Lift” although I wish I’d listened to that before Mrs. Obama’s book. Mrs. Gates is somewhat less animated of a narrator following Michelle Obama, and frankly, both of them pale in comparison to Brene.

I’ve changed genres now and am working through Kim Stanley Robinson’s Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars trilogy. I’m enjoying the narrative, and amazed at the authors ability to write so convincingly across such a wide range of subject areas.

I am amassing a pile of books to take on vacation... actual paper books for a change!

Last edited:

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Tvan which Brene Brown book would you recommend to a first-time reader or listener? +1 on what you said about Educated.

Tvan

Angel Diva
@VickiK - There’s a nice article on Brene Brown’s website where she suggests an order to her books. I wasn’t aware of this article and started with “Dare to Lead” which our women’s affinity group is reading at work. Enjoy!

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Just finished "Lands of Lost Borders" by Kate Harris. This is her bicycle trip more or less following the silk road and Marco Polo's journals. A fantastic read. She writes beautifully. The book is part journal, part travelogue, part geo-eco-polical musings. Fantastic.

Just started "Deep Creek: Finding Hope in the High Country" by Pam Houston. Her first book of short stories, is one of my all time favorites. This new book is her memoir (30 years after the first book publication) and shows maturity in both writing and perspective. It is more or less of life study of the ranch in Creede, CO that she lives on.

Christy

Angel Diva
I used to love Pam Houston. I haven't read her in years. I might have to check her memoir out!

I love the genre of memoir and thought I read quite a few. This week's NY Times book review has a list of the 50 best memoirs published since 1969, and I haven't read a single one! I am keeping the list to work off of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly