• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What are Divas reading?

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Currently 2/3 of the done with Isabelle Allende's "Maya's Notebook". This author really creates characters that are real and vivid. I love her stories.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
@SkiBam sounds totally cool!
Will you be doing writing too or just reading

You may enjoy also the dorothy gilman mrs polifax series

Ooh, thanks so much for the recommendation. Will definitely look for Mrs Polifax.

We are actually doing a bit of writing, although that's not really part of the course. One of the things we read about was the Detection Club, which was made up of some of the big names (Agatha Christie, P.D. James, etc.) They wrote a serial mystery (called The Floating Admiral, which I haven't read), where each person wrote a chapter following on what had been written before. So our group decided to try something similar - just a couple of pages each. I think four of us have contributed so far but others have committed to do so. It will be most interesting to see what we end up with!

lisamamot

Angel Diva
@RachelV - Just finished Educated. Wow! So glad I followed up on your mention of it.
We just read that for one of my book clubs - eye opening. For my book clubs I am about to start:
-The Secret Diary of Hendrik Groen, 83 ¼ Years Old
-The Forgetting time

Skise

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I read mostly free rubbish from Apple Book Store :bolt: Some of them are too bad even for me and I quit reading way before end but some I actually like and even buy something from the same writer (which is the point of free books I assume).

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I confess I read (listened to) William Shatner's new memoir "Live Long and …" :bolt:
I enjoyed it.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I am just getting into listening instead of reading. It's a whole different experience for me! I read really fast, and I've found by listening to a book I've read before that I am gaining lots of nuance and detail that I missed first time around. I listen when I'm working and driving, how about you?

marzNC

Angel Diva
I listen when I'm working and driving, how about you?
I take audio books for long drives. Usually a mix of fiction and non-fiction. Really learned a lot from Pacific by Simon Winchester, read by the author. He researched a selection of key events in the last 70 years that not only had a major impact on the Pacific Ocean, but will impact the world in ways that are still unknown.

Jenny

Angel Diva
We also listen on drives, and I find that I’ll listen to things that I might not physically read. It certainly does make the drive go a lot faster. I have problems listening at other times (working out, cleaning, etc.) because my mind wanders and then I miss stuff.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I recently started using the Hoopla app for audiobooks. It’s really great since it allows you to borrow books through a library card versus buying them. Audiobook pricing has always put me off from using them in the past, with my commute I can go through about one per week of around 10 hrs of audio. I enjoy reading a whole lot more, but it’s a nice way to pass the time driving. One thing that does bother me is that I find it difficult to get into the book at first. Often when I read I can get into a story really quickly, but with a new audiobook I have to focus at first or my mind starts to wander. Once it gets going I get really sucked in, but the beginning is difficult for some reason and the length it’s taken me to get into it has varied. The other thing is that I usually only read one book at a time, so sometimes it’s weird to have a book I’m reading and another I’m listening to and keeping straight which details are from which story.

I was wondering if anyone else uses Hoopla or any other specific free apps, and whether you have any audiobook recommendations from them as I’ve been choosing things at random so far.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Audiobooks save me on my commute too. Right now I'm listening to the Narnia series, an old childhood favorite. Each book is read by a different English big name actor, like Vanessa Redgrave or Patrick Stewart.

A very enjoyable listen was Rob Lowe's Stories I Only Tell My Friends. He narrates it, and his voice is as easy on the ears as his face is on the eyes. Michael Caine's Blowing the Bloody Doors Off was also good. I guess I've been on a kick for actors' stories, since I also listened to William Shatner's newest memoir Live Long And... in the last year. Rob Lowe's book was definitely the best of those 3.

Sarah Vowell has an irritating voice at first, but her Assassination Vacation turned out to be really fun listening. Trustee from the Toolroom by Nevil Shute was like that too, where I didn't like the narrator to start with, and then got completely sucked in.

If the narrating voice and the story continue to annoy, I have to bail on it. Rich Dad Poor Dad was like that. I have mixed feelings for the man who reads the Game of Thrones audiobooks, so I stopped after the first one. Jim Dale, who reads the Harry Potter series, and Davina Porter from the Outlander series are both fantastic narrators. Lee Horsley read Lonesome Dove and it was wonderful, a perfect match of story + narrator.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Just finished "Where the Crawdads Sing" by Delia Owens...
Anyone read it yet?

marzNC

Angel Diva
I was wondering if anyone else uses Hoopla or any other specific free apps, and whether you have any audiobook recommendations from them as I’ve been choosing things at random so far.
My library partners with audiobooks.com for online audio books. But since we have old cars, I've been listening to CDs on long drives. The minivan has a 6-CD changer so can have two books set up in advance. I have found that non-fiction works better than adult fiction. But I also like listening to tween/tween fiction because they are fun but don't require as much attention.

I'm in the middle of Hidden Figures. Had seen the movie and enjoyed it. But the book gives a much more complete picture of the entire era in terms of what women who liked math and engineering had to put up with.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Those of us with older cars are still listening to books on CD in the car! It really does make the ride go along. I learned that from one of the marketing guys who worked for me a bunch of years ago when I was riding with him to see clients. I had to go get the book after that trip so I could find out what happened!

I tend to grab stuff off the best seller fiction list. I am also reading Melinda Gates book ‘The Moment of Lift’. Just started so I don’t have a review yet.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
Audio books don’t hold my attention. I do better with podcasts. With my bad eyesight Kindle is a godsend. My local library has ebooks I can read in Kindle format and I can browse and borrow sitting in my lazy boy. Lately I started re-reading Asimov’s robot, empire, and foundation series in chronological order. Re-read the Xanth novels before that. (I seem to be in a nostalgic mood.) Non-fiction wise it was “The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.” No wait, it was “A Conversation with Fear” (recommended by this forum) and “Astrophysics for People in a Hurry.”

Bookworm

Angel Diva
I'm reading a book called High Wind in Jamaica by Richard Hughes. I was written in the 20s and it's a wild ride of a read, even though it's part of the NYR Classics series. I picked it for our bookgroup because it's always on those 100 greatest novels of the 20th Century lists, and now I see why. Very anachronistic, but man, those kids are something else (English white kids in Jamaica are sent home after a horrible hurricane and their ship is captured by inept pirates. The kids are not inept. More interesting than Animal Farm). Absolutely loving it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly