• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What are Divas reading?

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Oh yay, I've read a bunch of things since the last time this thread popped up. The best ones:

The Calculating Stars + The Fated Sky - Easy sci-fi, centered on an alternate timeline where a meteor strikes the east coast of the US in the 50s. I really enjoyed the story, but I was dying for more backstory / fleshing out of the world. Recommend overall. I was inspired to pick it up by this tweet:
Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Madness, Medicine and the Murder of a President: Super good! About the assassination of James Garfield, but also covers the development of metal detectors by Bell and the development of modern antiseptic practices by Lister. Cannot recommend enough if you're into narrative history.

Educated: A Memoir: About a woman who grows up on an isolated fundamentalist homestead and somehow makes her way to college at Cambridge. Both horrifying and inspiring. Very good, I thought.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Educated: A Memoir: About a woman who grows up on an isolated fundamentalist homestead and somehow makes her way to college at Cambridge. Both horrifying and inspiring. Very good, I thought.
Thanks for the reminder - meant to look for this. I think I heard an interview with her.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
I love what you're reading, Rachel! I'm sure you know Hank has written his own novel. I hope he's as good as his brother!

I haven't read a lot since visiting this thread. I did read a couple of quick reads and restarted The Secret Chord by Geraldine Brooks. Although I hate to bring politics into the forum, I'm currently reading Fear by Woodward. Eye opening.

Tvan

Angel Diva
I don’t have time to read, but am enjoying audiobooks in the car on my daily commute.

I just finished listening to “The Poisonwood Bible” as an audio book. What a magnificent piece of writing. Truly marvelous. I may need to listen to it again.

Tvan

Angel Diva
I’ve read it several times. Listening to it was a completely different experience. Such rich, evocative language. Truly magnificent.

newboots

Angel Diva
I just finished Finn, by Jon Clinch. A wonderful book with a great depth, beautiful writing, and - it haunts you after you read it. Masterful; not what you might expect from an author’s first novel at all. A painful portrayal of the hard-core racism of its time. I think it took courage to write it, and of course courage to write a novel connected to the work of Mark Twain.

If you haven’t read it, you should. It’s not fun or pretty, but you can’t put it down.

kiki

Angel Diva
I'm listening to Dare to Lead by Brene Brown. Quite motivational and real. Anout conquering self doubt and fear and having courage to do stuff.

Jilly

Staff member
Oooo...Maeve Binchy, have to look for that one. Been thinking about Becoming...Right now I'm reading beach fluff.

heather matthews

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've just finished Dead Men's Trousers by Irvine Welsh-gritty,ugly,violent with a grim cast of characters(all the usual suspects from Trainspotting).Welsh writes women quite poorly and their roles are generally quite peripheral.Despite my painting it to be worth a miss it's a page turner and I never tire of his phoenetic depictition of working class Scottish accents.
Prior to that I read And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini.A beautifully written bittersweet tale of loss and love over several generations.It made me cry my heart out !

Skiwino

Certified Ski Diva
I’m reading January First by Michael Schoefield. It’s an account of his daughter’s descent into and diagnosis of schizophrenia. Fascinating.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
This is not exactly about what I'm reading, but sort of... I'm taking a seminar on the evolution of detective fiction. It's a very low-key kind of thing, aimed largely at seniors and running in several locations in and around Montreal. The organizer and moderator of my particular group are next to useless, but the other participants make it worthwhile.

We have short readings each week - starting with Edgar Allen Poe who is believed to have written the first detective story. Also did something by Dickens, Conan Doyle (of course) and an American writer, Anna Katherine Green, who wrote in the late 19th century and early 20th. I'd never heard of her so found this interesting.

Last week we did P.D. James (one of my faves) and this week it's Agatha Christie.

We have two more sessions before Christmas, then another nine weeks in the new year. I likely won't get to all of them, due to other important commitments (like skiing), but it is proving to be interesting. It will be fun to get to the modern writers.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@SkiBam you might enjoy a collection of detective stories called Match Up. Each story is a collaboration by two well-known writers, pairing a female author and her best known character with a male author and his best known character. I enjoyed it and thought it was a good way to get a taste of writers I'd never read before.

Jilly

Staff member
Don't get frostbite!

Not while I'm in bed! I read so much technical stuff at work, I like to relax with nonsense at night. Someone sent me a link to BookBub. They send you an email every morning with deals for your e reader. When you sign up, you tell them what genre you're interest in. Lots of books for $2.

kiki

Angel Diva
This is not exactly about what I'm reading, but sort of... I'm taking a seminar on the evolution of detective fiction. It's a very low-key kind of thing, aimed largely at seniors and running in several locations in and around Montreal. The organizer and moderator of my particular group are next to useless, but the other participants make it worthwhile.

We have short readings each week - starting with Edgar Allen Poe who is believed to have written the first detective story. Also did something by Dickens, Conan Doyle (of course) and an American writer, Anna Katherine Green, who wrote in the late 19th century and early 20th. I'd never heard of her so found this interesting.

Last week we did P.D. James (one of my faves) and this week it's Agatha Christie.

We have two more sessions before Christmas, then another nine weeks in the new year. I likely won't get to all of them, due to other important commitments (like skiing), but it is proving to be interesting. It will be fun to get to the modern writers.
@SkiBam sounds totally cool!
Will you be doing writing too or just reading

You may enjoy also the dorothy gilman mrs polifax series

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly