• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What are Divas reading?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone read A False Report: A True Story About Rape in America? I just finished it yesterday. What an amazing, powerful book! It's nonfiction; about a young woman who was raped and pressured by the police to recant her story. She did, and the rapist went on to rape a number of other women. The book gives a horrifying look into the assailant's mind and shows how the police conducted their investigation. I thought it was particularly timely, especially since the judge who did the sentencing in the Brock trial was just voted out of office. Highly recommend.

Last edited:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Just finished listening to "Driving Miss Norma" on the drive up to Boston. It's an amazing story that anyone who has ever done or thought about eldercare should read. The way the story is told is very well thought out.

https://www.missnorma.com/get-the-book

My parents didn't need much help until they were around 95. I was lucky because my mother had planned well in advance, starting when they were in their 70s. Plus I lived close to them. That's not that common these days.

Along those same lines, has anyone read Being Mortal? Very powerful. A doctor wrote it about end-of-life decisions. At ages 95 and 88, my parents are starting to have problems, so I found it particularly helpful. An excellent book.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Along those same lines, has anyone read Being Mortal? Very powerful. A doctor wrote it about end-of-life decisions. At ages 95 and 88, my parents are starting to have problems, so I found it particularly helpful. An excellent book.
Definitely on my list to find after I get home next week. My mother had a Ph.D. in Social Work, so her knowledge about aging was informed by her professional background as well as from her own good common sense. My bachelor brother-in-law took care of his mother 24-7 for about seven years after he retired, including spending the winters at our house in NC (a lot warmer than MN). He had pretty good instincts about quality of life, which factored into what medications he discontinued. A big advantage I had was already being retired when my parents needed more support since I came along later in their lives.

Didn't realize Dr. Gawande was a surgeon and professor in Boston.

Atul Gawande is the author of three bestselling books: Complications, a finalist for the National Book Award; Better, selected by Amazon.com as one of the ten best books of 2007; and The Checklist Manifesto. He is also a surgeon at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston, a staff writer for The New Yorker since 1998, and a professor at Harvard Medical School and the Harvard School of Public Health. He has won two National Magazine Awards, a MacArthur Fellowship, and been named one of the world's hundred most influential thinkers by Foreign Policy and TIME. In his work as a public health researcher, he is Director of Ariadne Labs a joint center for health system innovation. And he is also co-founder and chairman of Lifebox, a global not-for-profit implementing systems and technologies to reduce surgical deaths globally. He and his wife have three children and live in Newton, Massachusetts.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I did - very interesting. I try to read all of his books.

MI-skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Has anyone read A False Report: A True Story About Rape in America? I just finished it yesterday. What an amazing, powerful book! It's nonfiction; about a young woman who was raped and pressured by the police to recant her story. She did, and the rapist went on to rape a number of other women. The book gives a horrifying look into the assailant's mind and shows how the police conducted their investigation. I thought it was particularly timely, especially since the judge who did the sentencing in the Brock trial was just voted out of office. Highly recommend.
I have not heard or read that one. Along this topic a friend had recommended, Missoula
I have not heard of that one. I can only begin to think of the horror and Injustice. Along that line a friend had recommended another nonfiction called Missoula. Written by the same author who wrote Into Thin Air Jon krakauer.

newboots

Angel Diva

It is a great book! I read it while working in the nursing homes, bringing the point home.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Last week I went to my local library to get a library card. Originally I thought I wanted it mostly to borrow electronic books, but when I was there I ended up picking out a random book on a whim. It was in this summer "speedreading" section that requires you to only check it out for a week and you can't renew it, I guess that keeps it moving for others to get it. Anyway, it's called The Wife Between Us, and it was described as being in the same vein as Gone Girl and The Girl on the Train, which is what initially peeked my interest. I just finished it during lunch today as my time is up and I need to return it this afternoon, but wanted to share as I found it really enjoyable and fast paced, great beach read etc. I usually can piece together what's going to happen in many books, and some things I did this time, but there were also some pretty solid twists I didn't see coming. Fun read!

Babette

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm reading Health at Every Size, The Surprising Truth About Your Weight. I'd give a copy to every woman I know if I could!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Last week I went to my local library to get a library card. Originally I thought I wanted it mostly to borrow electronic books, but when I was there I ended up picking out a random book on a whim. It was in this summer "speedreading" section that requires you to only check it out for a week and you can't renew it, I guess that keeps it moving for others to get it. Anyway, it's called The Wife Between Us, and it was described as being in the same vein as Gone Girl and The Girl on the Train, which is what initially peeked my interest. I just finished it during lunch today as my time is up and I need to return it this afternoon, but wanted to share as I found it really enjoyable and fast paced, great beach read etc. I usually can piece together what's going to happen in many books, and some things I did this time, but there were also some pretty solid twists I didn't see coming. Fun read!
thanks... I need to look for that one. I finished The Silent Wife which is another good beach read....

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm re-reading The Shell Seekers, which is awesome, and started listening to The Name of the Wind for my commute.

Tvan

Angel Diva
I’m home sick today and just finished “The Long Winter” by Laura Ingalls Wilder. That book has been my go-to sick reading for years. If they could live through seven months of blizzards, I can survive a 24 hour bug.

MI-skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't know how some of these books are chosen as "great reads". Read and discussed "Pachinko" which was a top 10 on many lists but oddly enough none of us in our bookclub liked it. Now I just finished, "The Immortalists" and that was a good read. Looking forward to that discussion. After having read "Missoula", my heart just breaks for rape victims. Interesting to see how Title IX plays a part in the ability of schools to gain some leverage against rapist students offenders. Another line that really stuck was how our society automatically doubts the victims of rape crimes versus a victim of other crimes like robbery and larceny.

Marta_P

Certified Ski Diva
I just finished "The Red Notice" which is the true story behind the Sergei Magnitsky Act which the US and several other countries use to sanction human rights abusers. It was fascinating!! I'm reading "Less" now, which I found on the speed read shelf at the library and am enjoying it, though it's not as gripping. MI-skier, I have "Pachinko" on my end table to read next, and am curious - have read such mixed reviews!

MI-skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’m home sick today and just finished “The Long Winter” by Laura Ingalls Wilder. That book has been my go-to sick reading for years. If they could live through seven months of blizzards, I can survive a 24 hour bug.
I just finished "Killers of the Flower Moon and the Birth of the FBI". It mentions the Wilders in what was such an atrocious time on US history. Every time I picked up the book, I was angry.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just finished "Killers of the Flower Moon and the Birth of the FBI". It mentions the Wilders in what was such an atrocious time on US history. Every time I picked up the book, I was angry.

I'm a big fan of the Longform Podcast and remember enjoying an interview they did with the author. It is here if anyone's interested.

MI-skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I recently read a few books/movies on American Indian history and enjoyed that segue way. Louise Erdrich, an American Indian herself, wrote "The Round House" (National Book Award) which I really liked. Then finished, "Killers of the Flower Moon and the Birth of the FBI". I was not aware of the Osage murders that shockingly numbered in the hundreds. Finally I also saw the movie "Hostiles" which I went only bc it was the hub's pick and ended up enjoying it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly