• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What are Divas reading?

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Bad Monkey was a fun one.

I just started Why Nations Fail by Darin Acemoglu. It is about politic, poverty and economic success. So far, it's very readable. I love these kind of things when they are written for everyman, not scholars.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just listened to a podcast conversation with author Sherman Alexie, and I'd like to read one of his books. Any suggestions?

RuthB

Angel Diva
For those who liked Into Thin Air, you may also like The Tower: A Chronicle of Climbing and Controversy on Cerro Torre by Kelly Cordes. I'm not a climber, and was not initially interested in this book, but I heard an interview with the author on NPR and the story is fascinating.

Another for those who like into thin air is Savage Summit - women of K2.

I loved Kite Runner but haven't tried his other stuff.

I've found him really consistent and also loved a thousand splendid suns and the mountains echoed

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I recently finished The Girl in the Road by Monica Byrne. The story is told in a very disjointed way, but it's definitely interesting for those who get down with disjointed storytelling. It is set in the future, and changes stories and narrators with most chapters coming from the perspective of Meena, an Indian woman early in adulthood, and others from the perspective of Mariama, a young African girl. Mariama's country of origin is not explicitly stated, one can deduce that she's likely originally from Mauritania. Both are traveling to Ethiopia, though their journeys start in different places and are set in different times, with Mariama's journey having been about 20ish years before Meena's.

I have mixed feelings about the book, but I enjoyed reading it nonetheless. There are ways in which I felt the author bit off more than she could chew, and toward the end things got pretty wild, but there were other ways in which the story was well crafted. I should throw out a trigger warning for anyone considering reading it- there are some potential triggers in here for sexual violence and child abuse, including one particularly uncomfortable to read, inappropriate scene involving a child. I don't feel that the author or book glorified any of that behavior, but at the same time, we do see some characters glorify that behavior and that could be difficult to read.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I recently finished The Girl in the Road by Monica Byrne. The story is told in a very disjointed way, but it's definitely interesting for those who get down with disjointed storytelling. It is set in the future, and changes stories and narrators with most chapters coming from the perspective of Meena, an Indian woman early in adulthood, and others from the perspective of Mariama, a young African girl. Mariama's country of origin is not explicitly stated, one can deduce that she's likely originally from Mauritania. Both are traveling to Ethiopia, though their journeys start in different places and are set in different times, with Mariama's journey having been about 20ish years before Meena's.

I have mixed feelings about the book, but I enjoyed reading it nonetheless. There are ways in which I felt the author bit off more than she could chew, and toward the end things got pretty wild, but there were other ways in which the story was well crafted. I should throw out a trigger warning for anyone considering reading it- there are some potential triggers in here for sexual violence and child abuse, including one particularly uncomfortable to read, inappropriate scene involving a child. I don't feel that the author or book glorified any of that behavior, but at the same time, we do see some characters glorify that behavior and that could be difficult to read.

This is more or less how I felt about the book. I particularly loved the take-no-prisoners perspective of Meena. It was ... odd, but I'm glad I read it.

Reactions: num

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Did anyone read "Wild" - by Cheryl Strayed? I think the book was better than the movie….

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Did anyone read "Wild" - by Cheryl Strayed? I think the book was better than the movie….

I listened to the audio book while driving to Big Sky. I enjoyed the book, but I love her new podcast Dear Sugar, which is an advice podcast having nothing to do with hiking.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just started reading the Complete Novels and Stories of Sherlock Holmes this week, but mostly because I'm obsessed with the BBC TV series and wanted to read the originals to see where they get their material.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just started reading the Complete Novels and Stories of Sherlock Holmes this week, but mostly because I'm obsessed with the BBC TV series and wanted to read the originals to see where they get their material.

I think that was one of my first Kindle downloads. It was nice to reread the originals after so many TV and movie versions.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Not actually reading them right now, but just got back from an author reading/book signing by Deborah Harkness (A Discovery of Witches, Shadow of Night, The Book of Life). Probably going to reread them over the summer.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I actually liked the movie better than the book. Which is unusual.
Oh interesting.. Well, Reese Witherspoon was awesome in the movie, but I liked the content in the book….. Just bought Kingdom of the Ice which was recommended by other divas….

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Oh interesting.. Well, Reese Witherspoon was awesome in the movie, but I liked the content in the book….. Just bought Kingdom of the Ice which was recommended by other divas….

I read Kingdom of the Ice and thought it was terrific. Enjoy!

I'd like to read wild and see the movie, Reese looked like she did an amazing job.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I brought a bunch of books to the used book store and got like $130 in store credit for used books ... DH and I were browsing, and he found a nice surprise - the latest Anna Pigeon book by Nevada Barr! I've already started it, and as always, I'm hooked. I'm not generally one for suspense, but the combo of a female protagonist and national park locations is a winner. The first one I read took place in Rocky Mountain National Park, so that got me hooked.

You do have to suspend belief - I mean, every dang place she goes, there's a murder or abduction or some heinous nefarious act. If I were the NPS, I'd figure she was the cause.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly