• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What are Divas reading?

Jenny

Angel Diva
Yeah, it's kind of suspicious, isn't it? But the books are a nice read.

I just finished Galileo's Middle Finger (non fiction) which I first picked for the title more than anything else, but was interesting nonetheless.

Also An Irish Country Girl, which is part of a series, apparently. I got it from a suggestion from the What Should I Read Next website when I searched for books like Maeve Binchy's.

And am currently in the middle of The Witch's Daughter, which was suggested by the same site when I searched for Susanna Kearsley. I'm a sucker for either time travel, or stories relived over and over in different eras until the characters get it right.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Am listening to A Conversation With Fear by Mermer Blakelee. It's deep in subject matter and her style is poetic and rich, so I need to pay attention and re-wind every so often so it sinks in. But I am loving her use of skiing as a metaphor.

This thread is great for ideas!

DeweySki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Am listening to A Conversation With Fear by Mermer Blakelee. It's deep in subject matter and her style is poetic and rich, so I need to pay attention and re-wind every so often so it sinks in. But I am loving her use of skiing as a metaphor.

This thread is great for ideas!
I am reading this right now too! So far I love it--the ski stories help with my ski withdraw and the message resonates with me. I'm already thinking that I will revisit some chapters during ski season. Blakelee's book sits on my bedstand with a Pema Chodron book, with which I am unexpectedly finding tons of overlap. Chodron approaches fear in many similar ways as Blakelee.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am reading this right now too! So far I love it--the ski stories help with my ski withdraw and the message resonates with me. I'm already thinking that I will revisit some chapters during ski season. Blakelee's book sits on my bedstand with a Pema Chodron book, with which I am unexpectedly finding tons of overlap. Chodron approaches fear in many similar ways as Blakelee.

<3 Pema! I went to a retreat to hear her speak last summer. Her books get at something deep within me.

MI-skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Listening to "Shadow Divers"....amazing that the Nazis were 60 miles of New Jersey! I love WWII history despite thinking I dislike non-fiction and war stuff. This year one of my personal goals was to read a non-fiction every month.

Finished "The Nightingale" which had great reviews but I personally thought it was so-so. Did not compare to the depth of "Sarah's Key". My mother's side is French and my grandfather was part of the French Resistance.

Very much enjoyed "Storied Life of AJ Fickery". It's a fun summer read that is great for book lovers. I resonate with the protagonist's belief that chosen books reveal much about the person. I ask it to every employee interview.

alicie

Angel Diva
Finished @ski diva second book the other day. It was a very good book and I usually guess who did it but this time I hadn't thought of that. I was very disappointed at the end as I thought I had another few chapters but I actually didn't, as I hadn't noticed how far through I'd got.

And I've also read three other books this week. The Logan macrae series by Stuart macbride. It's crime detective murder mystery sort of thing. It's very good but quite graphic in places and quite creepy.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I just finished Tracker by C J Cherryh. It's #16 in the Foreigner series. If you like intellectual, political sci-fi, you might really like this series. Whenever a new one comes out, I end up rereading at least several of the ones that come before.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Right now I'm reading The Emerald Mile by Kevin Fedarko, which Outside Magazine cited as one of the best outdoor books of the year. ...

Tearing through this now! Love it so far.

Some others I've read recently:
- Re-read The Godfather for the millionth time... not sure why I love this book so much, but the story really sucks me in.
- Learning to Fly, by Steph Davis -- good, not amazing imho, though I did enjoy it.
- The Art of Asking, Amanda Palmer -- really really enjoyed the first half or so of this one and finished it because I hate not finishing books -- the end drags a bit, I think. Recommended overall.

Up next: The Worst Journey in the World, recommended by this guy, whose writing is amazing (I think, anyways).

I have never read the godfather but its on my list. Love, love, love the movies and my cats are Brando and Pacino as well. Great reading ideas on this thread also.

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just finished reading "The Cartel" by Joseph Winslow. It appears to be loosely based on the life of the Mexican drug lord who recently escaped from prison. It is brutal and sad but good writing and educational.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I just finished reading "The Cartel" by Joseph Winslow. It appears to be loosely based on the life of the Mexican drug lord who recently escaped from prison. It is brutal and sad but good writing and educational.

Oh, good. I'm glad to hear you say that. I heard him interviewed on NPR and thought it might be an interesting read.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Just returned from Puerto Vallarta…… read "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn……what a beach read! Was very unpredictable….. anyone read it?

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Gone Girl. Didn't see the movie. Creepy-crazy book.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna