• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Whale Watching in Los Angeles!!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, after living here for over two years and saying we were going to go, we finally did!! The Grey Whales are doing their annual migration down the coast in record numbers (last summer it was the Blue Whales--missed that one!)

Since the snow is lacking at the moment, we headed out on a local charter for a few hours of whale watching on the Pacific. We live all of 5 minutes from this location at the Port of Los Angeles, so it was easy enough to get to. We have a view of the harbor and port from our house so it was fun to see it from a different perspective.

Anyway, I have a Canon Digital Rebel Xsi with a 55-250mm lens which I used for these pictures. Here is the link. I hope you enjoy them!!

https://flickr.com/gp/mjandaj1/Z255h6/

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
What a nice way to spend the day! Thanks for sharing the pix.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It was fun that we saw two species of whales. I grew up in Seattle :D so just being out on the water like that again was really nice. Thankfully the ocean was very calm so I didn't even remotely feel motion sickness. Whew!!

mustski

Angel Diva
That looks awesome and what a beautiful daughter you have! If you go skiing tomorrow, post and let me know how the snow is.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That looks awesome and what a beautiful daughter you have! If you go skiing tomorrow, post and let me know how the snow is.

Thanks, she is a hoot and a pretty darn sweet kid :love:
We have decided to save Matt's brand-new Magnum 8.7's for better conditions. Mine got so scratched up last time we went up that he's scared (and rightfully so.) Looks like another GOOD storm is coming this week, so next weekend we might go! Then, Mammoth!!!

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What great photos! I went whale watching off of Cape Code years ago and we saw a bunch of grey whales, but we weren't nearly as close as you were. Of course, it was raining and blowing and I was seasick for the first time in my life, so who knows. I was OK if I stayed out on deck, though, so I just got very cold while my uncle brought me hot chocolate every once in a while. :redface:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks, ladies! I knew you all here would appreciate it--it's a neat experience and well worth it and I can't wait to go again! I also know how I will shoot my pics differently...camera is never on auto mode but my skills are a little rusty :D

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Contesstant, that is a great series of photos. Thanks so much for sharing.

We have spoken of going whale watching several times, both here in CA and last June when we were in Provincetown, but we have never done it. Your photos made me realize that we really need to do it one of these days.

I sure hope the coming storms are kind to the local mountains and especially to Mammoth. :snow:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Contesstant, that is a great series of photos. Thanks so much for sharing.

We have spoken of going whale watching several times, both here in CA and last June when we were in Provincetown, but we have never done it. Your photos made me realize that we really need to do it one of these days.

I sure hope the coming storms are kind to the local mountains and especially to Mammoth. :snow:

Thanks, SB4E; I'm so glad you enjoyed them! You really should treat yourself to whale watching--there are companies that head out of Pedro, Long Beach, Newport Beach and Dana Point. The ones out of LB and Pedro all have a volunteer from the Cabrillo Aquarium on board. Here's some info: https://www.cabrillomarineaquarium.org/education/programs-individual-family/whalewatch-trips.asp

We did the 22nd Street Landing departure, which is done on a fishing charter so it's not for everyone. We loved it!

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I just got an offer for $17 for a 2.5 hour whale watching cruise out of Newport landing.

I'm going to ask DH if he'd like to try it.

Got to do something when we're not at Mammoth. :bounce:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just got an offer for $17 for a 2.5 hour whale watching cruise out of Newport landing.

I'm going to ask DH if he'd like to try it.

Got to do something when we're not at Mammoth. :bounce:

Awesome! Do it-just being on the water is nice. Was it the Groupon or Living Social deal that came out, because I think I saw it!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna