• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Weather Whine Thread

newboots

Angel Diva
Unfrozen snow Here falling from the sky. Looks like Okemo and Killington are getting a mix of everything. Lucky me, I have to be in Burlington Monday and Wednesday, so I’m staying with family and skiing Bolton Valley on Tuesday! The weather says they are getting snow!

jokael

Certified Ski Diva
I'm not gonna whine about the weather anymore........
We're going to mid-Sweden on Sunday - and here's the forecast:
Branäs.jpg

In total they're predicting about 7 inches of snow in the next 5 days, adding to the 20 inches of man-made snow already there :yahoo:

In comparison - the forecast for where I live, only 8 hours south of the ski destination :hurt:

1580198354006.png

Kind of ironic that I yesterhad had a memory on Facebook from 2016 saying: "Yay, finally the snow is melting :banana:"
At that time we have had constant snow from late October and by the time we got to Christmas, I was already sick and tired of it.

Talk about counting your blessings........

ddskis

Certified Ski Diva
Ok I’m back to whine about the weather again and feeling like a broken record. Starting to suspect a weather conspiracy as the weekly pattern has been a warm up to torrential drenching RAIN each Friday, my one day off to ski aurghhhhh

I think I need to start a why can’t I just retire NOW and ski whenever I want thread

HikenSki

Angel Diva
Ugh. Headed over to WV Snowshoe to ski Wed-Sat this coming week and the weather has turned to crap. They've had amazing cold and snow the last 2 1/2 weeks and now are expecting 50s and rain. 80% chance Wed and Thurs, snow possible Fri. This will be the third year in a row we've had rain issues and had to spend our days in the condo. I feel bad for my brother who drives up from FL to be stuck skiing these crappy conditions. He doesn't have the flexibility to go last minute like we do. I'm almost to the point of no longer planning trips over there in advance. We can't cancel otherwise we are out the condo rental and my brother is out the three days of lift tickets. I'm trying to stay positive but snow isn't gonna happen at 45 and 80% chance rain. I miss the old days of sustained cold and snow. Poor down jacket hasn't seen a day of use this winter and was maybe used 3 or 4 times last year. Sigh...

slyfox4

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was complaining about this winter to my friend who works for Loon and he goes "HOLD UP! The winter that never was...2015-2016." He showed me a picture and holy hell my jaw dropped. Barely any snow at Loon that year. We got our first season passes the following year so I didn't deal with the winter that never was. Do any of you remember that winter?

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was complaining about this winter to my friend who works for Loon and he goes "HOLD UP! The winter that never was...2015-2016." He showed me a picture and holy hell my jaw dropped. Barely any snow at Loon that year. We got our first season passes the following year so I didn't deal with the winter that never was. Do any of you remember that winter?

That was the first year I had a seasonal rental! Chair rides over brown earth all season. Just awful for the area ... no snow, no visitors, empty lodging, restaurants without customers, snow plowers with no work. This year is still lots better.

slyfox4

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That was the first year I had a seasonal rental! Chair rides over brown earth all season. Just awful for the area ... no snow, no visitors, empty lodging, restaurants without customers, snow plowers with no work. This year is still lots better.
Yes for sure! Snowmaking keeps getting better, too.

newboots

Angel Diva
I didn’t go skiing today. Mr. Blizzard is at Killington, trying different mounting positions on demo Rustlers. (From where I sit, this is astonishingly technical, but what do I know?)

The forecast included episodic freezing r**n, sleet, snow, and plain old r**n. Even with episodes of no weather, at 34* F. I figure the fog will be superb. Yesterday he said he couldn’t see his skis at times.

In the fall I always envision skiing every week day, but with my joints aching and memories of a recent fog+sleet+bumps experience fresh, housework seems like the better choice!

ilovepugs

Angel Diva

Oh yes. 72 degrees and sunny on Christmas Eve. That was a rough year.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I didn’t go skiing today. Mr. Blizzard is at Killington, trying different mounting positions on demo Rustlers. (From where I sit, this is astonishingly technical, but what do I know?)

The forecast included episodic freezing r**n, sleet, snow, and plain old r**n. Even with episodes of no weather, at 34* F. I figure the fog will be superb. Yesterday he said he couldn’t see his skis at times.

In the fall I always envision skiing every week day, but with my joints aching and memories of a recent fog+sleet+bumps experience fresh, housework seems like the better choice!

This isn't an anti-Vail or anti-whatever post, but I have to say that I am actually less-than-psyched about the upcoming powder day this weekend... we are predicted to get up to 10" of snow and I just know that the whole resort (Stowe) will be parked out and crowded and the line up Mountain Road will be 2 hours long by 8am. I'm thinking I'll get up early to work on Friday, and then take the afternoon to go to either Bolton or Stowe, to take advantage of the fresh powder without dealing with the 2 hour long line to the resort. I may well end up going to Montreal and shopping at IKEA on Saturday.

EeveeCanSki

Certified Ski Diva

Oh my word I am feeling you on the weather. Nearly describes my experience at one of the more distant hills from us that Mr. Eevee and I like to ski a couple of times a year and I'm still traumatized by it a few weeks on. When we got on the lift it was snowing, but by the time we were off we were crunchy human Yetis, as midway up everything turned to freezing r**n!! I was terrified of the chunky chopped up white stuff on the slopes and we only got about four runs in before it felt too unsafe for me to continue. I did the right thing, knowing my limits, but it was a confidence killer and I'm not finding my moxie this year.

Being in the mid-Atlantic I have to be a beggar anyway but this year it's the roughest I've known since I've begun this ski journey, and even Mr. Eevee says after 30+ years skiing from his kid days this is the worst he can remember!

I'm crossing fingers false spring goes away here and we get a few nice days in March.

newboots

Angel Diva
After all that I was wrong! He said the visibility was fine, and nothing fell from the sky “You should have come!” he said.

Grumble

KristinB

Certified Ski Diva
Southeast skier here.....let me just say, I am jealous of all your snow, even your crappy snow! :smile:

It will be 53 with rain on Thursday (it is 64 right now....), then drops to 32 and sunny skies. Hoping the snow makers can work their magic!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
After all that I was wrong! He said the visibility was fine, and nothing fell from the sky “You should have come!” he said.

Grumble

You missed a good day! Day two with my sailing friends from RI. All nice carving snow and while flat light from time to time, no fog. No clouds down low. Since you have a pass, go ... and leave if it isn't good vs what happened!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly