• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Weather Predictions

MissySki

Angel Diva
I’ve recently really started noticing people having pages on Facebook to predict the weather in certain locations, as it pertains to skiing. I mean they have been there before, but I’m noticing more, and they get into detailed discussions of why they are making their forecasts rather than just spitting out the end goal. Other people respond right on back and seem to understand all of this stuff that’s pretty much a foreign language to me. I was wondering if anyone here dabbles in weather forecasting, and if so, what a good way to learn some of the basics is? Where can you find and run your own models etc.?

At this time of year many of us are super interested in when the cold will come so snow guns can really get cranking, or when it might actually snow. I’m intrigued on how I might be able to make my own projections.. Not like I have time for anything new right now, but someday maybe! Haha

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I’ve recently really started noticing people having pages on Facebook to predict the weather in certain locations, as it pertains to skiing. I mean they have been there before, but I’m noticing more, and they get into detailed discussions of why they are making their forecasts rather than just spitting out the end goal. Other people respond right on back and seem to understand all of this stuff that’s pretty much a foreign language to me. I was wondering if anyone here dabbles in weather forecasting, and if so, what a good way to learn some of the basics is? Where can you find and run your own models etc.?

At this time of year many of us are super interested in when the cold will come so snow guns can really get cranking, or when it might actually snow. I’m intrigued on how I might be able to make my own projections.. Not like I have time for anything new right now, but someday maybe! Haha
https://opensnow.com/

marzNC

Angel Diva
opensnow.com is my absolute go-to. I love that I can set up alerts and also easily compare snow at the various nearby hills.
Welcome! What's your home region?

I've been having fun looking at forecasts by state in addition to my personal Favorites list. The map feature was one of the best enhancements.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
^^Uh-oh, my gutters have not been cleaned. Right now the leaves are frozen in place. If it doesn't thaw soon, oh my.

marzNC

Angel Diva
What I've done with Favorites on OpenSnow is to include pairs of resorts that are close to each other. It's interesting to watch how forecast totals shift, and when the forecasts more than 3 days out are completely off.

In Utah LCC/BCC usually gets more snow than Parley's Canyon where Park City and DV are located
Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 7.17.17 PM.png

Big Sky and Bridger are just over an hour drive apart. They are in different mountain ranges.
Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 7.17.29 PM.png

GT and JH are on opposite sides of the Tetons. GT typically gets more snow since storms come from the west.
Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 7.17.42 PM.png

newboots

Angel Diva
^^Uh-oh, my gutters have not been cleaned. Right now the leaves are frozen in place. If it doesn't thaw soon, oh my.

It thaws soon! We woke up to 3* at 6 am. But supposed to be in the forties or higher Monday and Tuesday

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly