• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Wearing Glasses with Goggles

Frankie

Certified Ski Diva
So, my goggles are made to fit over glasses but wearing glasses with goggles is so uncomfortable. Is there any solution? Does anyone have the same issue?

Tvan

Angel Diva
I wear glasses with my goggles. My glasses are a specific Kate Spade frame, not because of fashion, but because they are 1) metal, not plastic and 2) fit inside my goggles. I order extra glasses frames so if/when I need to change my prescription, I can continue to use the same frames.

I have a relatively comfortable pair of goggles now - I had to try a bunch to get the right fit. Same with helmets, and mine is orange… not because I wanted an orange helmet, but because it was the most comfortable.

My biggest issue is fogging up. Still working on that.

Frankie

Certified Ski Diva
I wear glasses with my goggles. My glasses are a specific Kate Spade frame, not because of fashion, but because they are 1) metal, not plastic and 2) fit inside my goggles. I order extra glasses frames so if/when I need to change my prescription, I can continue to use the same frames.

I have a relatively comfortable pair of goggles now - I had to try a bunch to get the right fit. Same with helmets, and mine is orange… not because I wanted an orange helmet, but because it was the most comfortable.

My biggest issue is fogging up. Still working on that.
My older glasses were a smaller frame, so I wonder also if that is the issue. The last time I skied I just didn't wear them. Good thing that my distance really isn't the problem. What brand of goggles do you have?

Jilly

Staff member
Personally I wear contacts for sports, but then I need to take readers to see the labels on the food in the cafeteria. And not everyone can where contacts.

1. Small frame like @Tvan is using. There is an ugly "sports" frame out there.
2. Lens insert that can be put in your goggle frame. I've a friend with that. He loves them. But he has to carry his glasses with him when he removes the goggles.

@Tvan - have you looked in a fan system that attaches to the goggle strap. Smith did make one.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Goggles n more has a great solution.

Mary G uses them. Maybe she'll chime in.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I normally ski with contacts, but carry a pair of cheap frameless glasses with a small lens (went with single vision instead of bifocal to keep it as cheap as possible) from Zenni in my ski bag just in case. I was thankful last week when I got about 10 minutes from the hill and realized I'd forgotten to put in my contacts (My regular glasses are large frame and don't fit well under my goggles.) And thus I skied with glasses for the first time. I did not have any fogging issues. I think having a small eyeglass frame is key for fogging. As well as for comfort.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
So, my goggles are made to fit over glasses but wearing glasses with goggles is so uncomfortable. Is there any solution? Does anyone have the same issue?
My boyfriend wear glasses. The best solution is to get a visor helmet. There are many out there now.

Here are some examples. Screenshot_20221206_133905_Google~2.jpgScreenshot_20221206_133823_Chrome~2.jpg

Marigee

Angel Diva
What @SnowHot posted with similar to what my very myopic friend uses. I think his are Bolle.

@Marigee any input.
I use the prescription glasses inserts. I ordered mine from SportRX. It usually takes about 3 weeks for them to be delivered. I pull my goggles over my eyes before I head outside and that usually cuts down on fogging. I wear Smith IO goggles with a Smith helmet. The website has a list of what goggles work well with the insert. You will have to have a prescription that is less than one year old to get inserts made.

Tvan

Angel Diva
I’ve thought about goggle inserts but not sure how that would work when I go into the lodge for lunch. I’d still need my glasses with me to see. I’m not a candidate for contacts, unfortunately.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I use the prescription glasses inserts. I ordered mine from SportRX. It usually takes about 3 weeks for them to be delivered. I pull my goggles over my eyes before I head outside and that usually cuts down on fogging. I wear Smith IO goggles with a Smith helmet. The website has a list of what goggles work well with the insert. You will have to have a prescription that is less than one year old to get inserts made.
Goggles n More has you tell them which goggles you use so they can send you the correct inserts.
The video I posted has a decent explaination.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I have daily wear soft contacts for distance only that I use for skiing. But for a short day at Massanutten, I can just wear my usual goggles over my regular glasses. I've always had small frames because I have a small face and a fairly strong prescription. I carry cheap reading glasses in my boot bag if I need to read something in the lodge or in the afternoon after skiing if I haven't taken out the contacts yet.

Frankie

Certified Ski Diva
I didn't have any problems with the lenses fogging up when I used my older glasses. It is just very uncomfortable. I think I will get a special pair just for skiing. Smaller frames or maybe just readers. I do need them to read distance is only a slight prescription. (Maybe, also try a new helmet)

mustski

Angel Diva
My instructor in Taos swears by the goggle inserts. He says the only time they fog up is when he’s working REALLY hard and they clear up once he starts moving downhill. I’m planning to try a pair once I burn through my current stock of contacts. My problem with contacts is that I can’t read with them in. The idea of lifting my goggles and being able to read is very enticing. It’s always a bit stressful skiing a new resort because I can’t read the map and have to depend on others.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wear my glasses under my goggles. I have child size frames though so do not need any OTG goggles. I used to wear inserts for almost all my goggles and interchange them for different pairs. One day I happened to put my goggles on over my glasses without realizing it and Voila!...I then realized I could have used my glasses all the time !! I did not care for inserts because I could see the framework which would too often interfere with my vision.
I do like those cool visor helmets shown above. Never tried one or shopped for one, but I suppose they would be a great option for many people.

Chuyi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
All smith goggles have glasses notch (It's not advertised as OTG) . Asian me has no nose Bridge so smith asian fit is ❤️❤️❤️. My biggest problem was fogging b4 asian fit. The asian fit foam filled the gap, so I am happy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly