• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Waterville Valley: Probably Not What You Think

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Population to whom the ski area's website markets: families
Population for whom the mountain is appropriate: high-end teenaged ski racers

About me: not a native New Englander, but a native New England skier. Comfortable on narrow runs, have no notion what to do with powder but can comfortably ski six different kinds of ice. Hate bumps because they're always rock-hard. Will ski steep blacks as long as they are not covered with east-coast bumps or sheets of boilerplate ice. Unimpressed by hardpack, because I have THE skis for that.

The positive things about this mountain:
*Lift system is incredibly easy to navigate
*Area is small and virtually all runs point down to the base, so very difficult to get lost or even separated for long
*Views from face of mountain are fantastic
*Residential development handled very well - ski area is not built up and can't be; plenty of condos and available lodging at a small distance from the hill; regular free shuttle buses make the circuit between the ski area and the housing
*Easy access to other winter sports such as snowshoeing, ice skating (indoor), and cross-country skiing

Things about this mountain I wish I had known:
*Novice terrain is limited to a tiny ghetto off the main ski area, plus one straight short strip down the side
*Only one true intermediate run despite large number of "blue" runs; most true intermediate terrain can only be accessed by way of trails requiring advanced or expert skills
*Mountain lacks a true cruiser (green or blue)
*Problem with snowmaking and grooming (more below)
*Public ice skating hours very limited; minimal dining choices in the village
*Apres-ski scene is a bust; base amenities are negligible; beer choices very limited

The first thing you see when you walk into the base lodge at Waterville Valley (WV) is the NASTAR desk. This, frankly, tells you most of what you need to know about this mountain. The runs pour straight down the face, and if what you want to do is spend your day ripping high-speed GS turns on challenging terrain, you will love this place.

If what you want is a broad selection of terrain, or to do cruisers, or to have a nice mellow ski at any point, this is not the place for you. This pretty much a race hill. There were major-league races going on when I visited (rode the lift with the Burke Mountain Academy), and watching the racers warm up on the hill makes it very clear - if the NASTAR desk did not - what this mountain is all about: racing, training racers, and more racing.

The only run that approximates a cruiser (and I say "approximates" because it is both terrifying in places, and short) is Oblivion, which runs from the first summit-type area (mountain functionally has two peaks, but only one face) down to the green strip at the base. This run is narrow enough to be a little exciting at the summit, but involves a true hairpin turn with the mountain dropping away in what look like cliffs on the outside. Other than that terrifying hairpin turn - and remember, I like narrow runs so when I say "terrifying" you can take that to the bank - the run is not particularly challenging. It's not really long enough to be a cruiser, and the top part of it certainly is not mellow. There is no other run on this mountain that could reasonably qualify as a cruiser, which is why I say that it lacks one.

This is compounded by what I think of as Surface Maintenance. In the week where I visited WV, there was a ski weather disaster on Monday - warm, and rain, followed by plunging temperatures on Tuesday - freezing anything that got rained on or melted. I understand that these are very challenging circumstances to recover from. I visited WV on Thursday, so the mountain had functionally 48 hours to recover through careful grooming and lots of snowmaking, which is what all the other mountains were doing (according to snow reports). WV either was unable to marshall those resources, or unable to deploy them effectively, or didn't try. This was my first trip to this ski area, so I'm not sure which it was.

The snow report was comprehensively and wildly inaccurate, reporting "packed powder" conditions, when the reality was that it was a combination of straight-up frozen granular and machine-groomed frozen granular. Unsurprising, given earlier in the week, but it would have been nice to seen an honest report.

While I was there, the snow cats were completely occupied in building some sort of park feature. As mentioned before, there was a large GS race taking place on the property, so I can understand the mountain devoting some assets to preparing that course. What I couldn't understand is that there was no evidence of major snowmaking activity taking place since the Thaw. There were snow guns firing for about 150 feet on the intermediate run, but no evidence of recent snowmaking activities anywhere else.

Most ski areas seem to have a couple of runs that are as beautifully maintained as possible, given conditions, and in my experience, is typically is a blue run for true intermediate skiers. It is also usually the WROD: first run to open, last run to close, and because of this, has pretty concentrated snowmaking/grooming activities. I found a handful of long-time season passholders (classic Yankee skiers, not kids) and asked them where I might find a run like that on the mountain, as I wanted to make sure I was getting a representative sampling, and not just picking the out-of-the-way stuff. They were not able to speak to the premier run question with any confidence, despite having skied the (small) mountain for years, which tells me that there probably is not such a run at this hill...but they think that Tippecanoe was usually in pretty good shape.

I had already skied Tippecanoe. This blue run was so steep that I had to stop and check my map to make sure I hadn't gotten lost and wandered onto a black. This run would have been classed as a black at Mount Snow, Berkshire East (another racing hill, but with better terrain choices), Okemo, Bromley, and Stratton. It wasn't too steep for me, but it was covered with an absolutely blanket of death cookies that had been chewed up from the Thaw, but not mixed in with any actual snow. The entire thing was one busted-up sheet of ice. I was grateful that it was at least busted up, but that would NOT be my surface of choice for skiing a run that steep. This run, and the adjacent runs, were like skiing on a gravel road - the death cookies were large and heavy enough that they didn't kick up in a spray at the bottom of a turn like loose granular does. In addition, there weren't any real run-outs on the top half of the run. The bottom half of the run was true intermediate terrain, but could not be accessed directly by any lift. I am aware that I was seeing this mountain (hopefully) at its worst, but I suspect that the likely outcome of even a recent snowfall - given the exposure and the pitch - is that the face gets scraped down to hardpack extremely quickly.

Beyond this, there were a few other undesirable elements. The mountain staff were invisible, and those that were visible were not helpful. I never saw any kind of mountain ambassador or ski patroller while I was there. The machine-groomed frozen gran had stripped the wax off my bases and chewed up my edges, so I needed a manicure for my sticks, and the lifties were unable to tell me where to take my skis for maintenance. The most helpful person I found was the coach of the Burke Mtn Academy ski team, who I rode on the lift with once, and who was at least able to tell me that there was a ski repair shop somewhere in the base area. The staff in the shop were curt, suspicious, and rude. The bartenders were friendly, but the options were very limited.

I am well aware that the green/blue/black rating is mountain-specific, but I was frankly unable to tell any difference between the north-side blues and the blacks that were open on this hill. Many of the blacks were simply closed, and a good thing, too, given the conditions elsewhere on the hill. My conclusion is that that the operators of the ski area have probably arbitrarily designated some of the advanced runs as "blues" simply to avoid scaring recreational skiers off by showing an excessive percentage of advanced terrain. The truth, however, is that if you are a novice, or on the lower-end of intermediate skills, you will find very little terrain that is suitable for you at WV. If you want to plunge down the mountain on a hard, fast surface, on runs that are usually wide enough to handle a GS turn, it's a great place to be.

abc

Banned
I'm not a fan of Waterville. In fact it's on my "never go again" list.

Still, I think your rant is way OTT

MissySki

Angel Diva
I have never been to Waterville Valley, usually because if I'm going to that area I'd prefer Loon (and you found out why) and rarely I'll hit up Cannon as well (do not blame you for steering clear of them with the most recent conditions/weather events).

Looks like I'm not missing much at WV so cheers to that! :smile:

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I skied at Waterville as an advanced beginner. The days preceding it were much like those Serafina had. Other than the death cookies Serafina described, my experience was much like hers. We wanted to go to the top, if there was a blue run open from there. I don't recall the name of the run, but it had, essentially, a narrow half-pipe that fed immediately into a sharp turn to the right. With good conditions, I'd have had great difficulty with the half-pipe. That day, I had no way of skiing it and was terrified, trying to get past it without endangering myself or anyone else.

I got no impression of the staff, or facilities, or apres, or even the views. I didn't care about them. Once I got off that run, I retreated to their limited beginner terrain and waited for the day to be over.

Last edited:

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Lordy, abc, that wasn't a rant. If I want to do a rant, it's sure not going to start off and finish with positive statements about a place. It's going to be nothing but rant from beginning to end.

WV's management decisions are not my fault, but not knowing about them - and not having any good information even with searching on the 'net - caused me to overinvest in Liftopia tickets for this hill. It wasn't much of an overinvestment, so I'm not actually ticked off. Wouldn't be any question at all where I stand on the matter if I was ticked off. If I'd known it was just a race hill, I'd have run back up to Loon and skied there for the day. Thought hard about doing that anyway, but it was starting to snow and the road over the mountain was going to get dodgy.

Vickie, Mr. Serafina is an advanced beginner - starting to ski blue runs. Very uncomfortable on ice. I skied for a while before he showed up, so I was able to check things out for him - the green strip run was hard as a rock, but it was still well within his ability level, so I suggested he stick with that and get in some ice-skiing time as good practice for the future. He took full advantage of it. I can't even imagine how horrified I would have been if I hadn't vetted the runs first, and just taken him up for a trip down that run you're describing (which I did - I think that's the one with the hairpin turn lower down). I would have been praying the entire time just to get him off the mountain in one piece.

abc

Banned
Lordy, abc, that wasn't a rant. If I want to do a rant, it's sure not going to start off and finish with positive statements about a place. It's going to be nothing but rant from beginning to end.
If it's not a rant, then you're being rather unfair to WV. Or at least biased.

I've been to WV twice, both time on a comp ticket. While it's not my kind of terrain, and I wouldn't pay to ski there, it's no more "race hill" than of many other mountains, for example: Whiteface, Catamont, Jiminy Peak, to name a few. Yes, WV seems to like to leave their surface hard and fast. But so does WF, so does Jiminy and many others. I've never heard anyone call WF a "race hill", despite the fact there're indeed many racers training there!

The days you happened to ski was one such there's nothing but hardpack condition. And some mountain groom better than others. I've skied many other mountains in boiler plate condition just due to bad timing. I remember one year I barely made it down one mountain's green slope due to condition (I normally handle blacks comfortably).

I can tell you on the two occasions I skied WV, it was far from "racing hard" surface! That's all.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It would be biased if I had a pre-existing opinion about how it would be. Or if I were reporting only one side of the picture, which I'm not - notice the positives, and the discussion of the strengths of this ski area in the original review. I am being critical but that's because I'm writing a critique of the place.

It's not just about the surface. Any New England mountain is going to be hard and tight at times.

It's about the way the runs are configured, it's about the level of challenge of the runs, and it's about the scope and direction of the mountain's services.

I would not regard Jiminy Peak as a racing hill. There are runs there that are suitable for racing - most hills have at least a couple of those - but Jiminy Peak has a tremendous range in the available terrain for skiers. Nor is there a notable presence of racers on the Jiminy Peak hill on a regular basis. It is much more of a true family-oriented resort, offering plenty of skiing options other than "go fast". I regard Berkshire East as being much more of a racing hill than Jiminy Peak - it is, in fact, where most of the race teams in the region practice, as anyone who has been there on a weekday afternoon will be well aware. However, even Berkshire East offers a broader range of terrain than does WV, not just in ability levels (which it does) but in basic run configuration (there are at least two cruisers at BEast). Berkshire East does, however, deliver a very similar experience to WV in terms of the grooming and snowmaking in that the conditions I had at WV were exactly what I would have expected to find at Berkshire East during this same time period. Is this because they are race hills, and it's consequently less important to provide the softest and kindest possible conditions to the main population using the hill? Could be. Could be something else.

All of the mountains in this area were icy this week - but some hills did a much better job of repairing the damage than others. It was not clear that WV had made much of an effort to repair the damage at all, beyond running the grooming cat over some of the runs with a rough chop. The conditions were what I would have expected on Tuesday, right after the temperature crash - not two full days and nights later. They weren't making much snow when I showed up on Wed afternoon, there wasn't much sign of snowmaking on Wed night, on Thursday they were making snow for 150 feet on one trail, and making some snow on an unopened trail to the side of the ski area, on Thurs night there wasn't much sign of snowmaking. And yet, the hill has permanent snow guns all over the place- but they weren't using them to fix the surface. Why not? I don't know, and I said I didn't know. All I can say is that the had not recovered from the damage to an extent that was comparable to other nearby ski areas, and to other areas in the region. The general consensus in the ski shop, and at the bar, was that this is fairly typical of this ski area.

Does that make WV a Bad Resort? No - it makes it a rather specialized resort, but specialized in a way that is not at all clear from their promotional materials and website. If I were considering it for a family vacation, I would definitely want to know this stuff. I would like to have known it considering my own ski trip.

abc

Banned
If I were considering it for a family vacation, I would definitely want to know this stuff. I would like to have known it considering my own ski trip.
"Family" can mean different thing to different family.

The little bump 20 minutes from my house is a "family" hill. It focus on only TWO kind of skiers: beginners and racers!

naskis

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My family experience was different - we actually liked WV. Not as much as some other places, but still liked it.

We were there a few times in previous years, all during "good snow" days. I never skied all of it, but WV "forced" me to ski some the blues runs that Serafina mentioned.

One year we came there (I could ski only very very easy blue runs back then ) and I found that the "green options" were too limited and too crowded. My oldest DS (who is a great skier and the reason why I got into skiing) told me that he thinks I can ski the blues there. So when I got to the top I freaked out. There was no comfortable way to get to the blues that "sit" right off a black run. And great views don't help if you are afraid of heights and exposure. My DS was very encouraging and lead the way, so I made it.

In the end we skied down the Oblivion and Sun run/No grit many more times, using the three(?) person lift that starts mid-mountain (no line!) We loved the narrow pipe - it was fun with all the good snow! :smile: But to this day I have not dared to venture to the "other side" of the mountain, where Tippecanoe is. Maybe this year?

My youngest DS loved the beginner terrain moguls last year. Oldest DS was happy with advanced terrain and tree skiing.

Serafina, I'm sure that it's all very unpleasant right now! We had really great snow conditions. I agree - WV needs a real cruiser. And it could be insanely crowded. And there are way too many beginners on that one long(ish) green run.

Last edited:

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's another thing - people kept telling me how crowded the place gets on the weekends, because it's a straight shot up from Boston. Can't even imagine...

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
"Family" can mean different thing to different family.

The little bump 20 minutes from my house is a "family" hill. It focus on only TWO kind of skiers: beginners and racers!

Good grief. I didn't say that anyone considering it for a family vacation should change their minds! I said they should know about this stuff.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Because, as I mentioned before, it is not part of their marketing materials, including their website. Because when I did my research on the hill, it did not come to light.

Very nice that you knew this about the hill, but I notice you didn't share the information with the rest of us. Perhaps you might wish to start your own thread to share these observations?

abc

Banned
Perhaps you might wish to start your own thread to share these observations?
Unlike you, I don't believe in making instant "observation" based on a single visits. Much less slapping lable on a mountain based on such limited experience.

Note that I didn't say WV is a family resort. Only that during my visits, WV did not appear to be a "race hill" as you see it.

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
Serafina, I do think it is interesting how much you have come to rely upon snowmaking and grooming for a positive ski experience. Back when I learned to ski in the early 60s, there was minimal amounts of either and you just skied or you didn't, depending upon the conditions and your ability level. I remember lots of times when my mom sat it out at Stratton, but my dad and his buds skied. Believe it or not, there are some of us who think mountains groom far too much and some of us HATE the texture of manmade snow, both of which allow folks to be on terrain they shouldn't be on and ski at speeds they cannot manage. Ungroomed, natural snow is a great teacher of all the skills that help to make a versatile skier. And, as some have said NOTHING in the east was skiing well that week. Even those places (like my home hill) that pride themselves on great grooming. Just my thoughts….

Tvan

Angel Diva
I have always appreciated the sharing of thoughts and opinions on this site, particularly given that I have limited recreational time. Throughout my time on this forum, I've come to know Divas who has similar preferences and abilities to my own, and trip reports, ski demo reviews, gear recommendations and jacket purchase enabling has allowed me to make good use of my limited time on snow.

BackCountryGirl makes an interesting point about groomed/non-groomed conditions and ski technique - something I haven't really experienced, given where I live and where we typically ski. Thank you for the new perspective on this.

Last edited:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, I just checked this thread. Some interesting stuff here.

I've never skied WV, but I'm a regular weekday skier on New England ski hills -- and I'm going on the assumption that this visit was on a weekday. I appreciate Serafina's perspective. She were there, she was a paying customer, she has certain expectations, so her impressions are valid (and we all need to respect that). But I think I can address some of the points she raised in her initial post:

The invisibility of mountain staff and ski patrollers: This made me laugh a bit. Most places, particularly smaller ones, don't have mountain ambassadors at all, especially during the week. And ski patrol, well, maybe you'll see them. If you're lucky.

The prevalence of race teams: This is not uncommon. There's a fair amount of this during the week, depending on where you go. It's a steady income source for the mountains, and hey, the racers have to practice somewhere. They do close runs for them, so it never hurts to ask when you buy a ticket or call ahead to see if there'll be racing that day, if that's a concern. We just adjust our skiing accordingly.

Apres ski: During the week? Fuggedabout it, particularly at a smaller area, like WV. And regarding choices in the lodge: some mountains have dining options or bars that are simply not open during the week.

Grooming, ice, trail conditions: Let's just say that conditions have been challenging lately. Snow, wind, rain, freezing temps....it's been tough. To be honest, there's only so much grooming can accomplish. So it comes down to either skiing stuff that's less than ideal, or not skiing at all. On the upside, however, it's amazing how widely conditions can vary from day to day. Thursday at Okemo was pretty crappy, yesterday somewhat better, depending on where you went, the time of day, etc. As for the snow report, well, we all know they lie. :smile:

Now putting on my moderator hat: let's keep this civil, okay?

Last edited:

canski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Serafina,
Sorry that you did not enjoy WV - but you were also very unlucky to have hit it on the same 2 days of Eastern Cup races - men and women. That puts tons of racers/coaches and some local racer parents on the hill. That's why they try to hold them mid-week. Ski hills that have ski academies/big teams are more prone to that. Also, as you know it was terrible luck weather wise. Yes, WV does kind of have limited 'types' of terrain - especially in a year where we can't seem to catch a break condition-wise - multiple rain/meltdown/freeze events - so not all terrain can be open. Even in such a small space as northern NH, what mother nature dishes out can vary widely ski area by ski area in terms of precip and temps. And different resorts have different abilities to recover based on snowmaking capabilities.
I sure hope your upcoming trip to NH gives you much better conditions (for all of us as well!). Our expectations have been much lowered after each melt/freeze cycle. And most resorts do NOT have ambassadors, and there is more than a bit of sugarcoating of conditions - always expect (especially this year) a frozen underlying base in New England - it will scrape down to that eventually - ski early - and some trails will be better than others, no matter what.
Of course, as I type this I am looking out at yet another rain event! Yikes!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna