• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Waterproof jacket/pants - boating

Jilly

Staff member
Got up this morning to make the 1 1/2 hr drive to paddle practice and it really looked like rain. I could find my waterproof jackets, but could not find my pants. Skiing I just use a "Descente" poncho that is made for rain. But paddling I need 2 pieces. My jackets are either Mountain Hardwear (from the Columbia discount store) or Stormtech with a vendor branding on it. (Great jacket that is now falling apart from too much use).

So what is out there besides Helly Hansen and Eddie Bauer that sailors use? Some companies are not available in Canada, so...

elemmac

Angel Diva
I'm not sure about sailing specific, but I did a lot of internet searching before purchasing a new rain suit for a kayak trip to AK coming up in August. Helly Hansen seems to be the one that came up constantly on paddling review sites and forums (it's also what I ended up going with). Then I have a North Face GoreTex jacket that I plan on bringing if it's not downpouring. The North Face is much lighter, more breathable with pit zips, but I have hesitations on the effectiveness of GoreTex in salt water.

There was a brand "Frogg Toggs" that came up A LOT when searching. I guess it's a very budget friendly option that stands up to the more expensive brands for waterproofing, however, there are many reviews questioning the durability (but backed by how inexpensive it is...when it wears out, just buy a new one).

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sailing specific with no allowance for country to be manufactured, or ordered and no particular order…. Gill, Musto, Henri Lloyd and sometimes Arcteryx. I’m all about end of season sales or left over from years before. Right now I think I have a really upscale Gill jacket that I bought at the Defender outlet sale in Connecticut. I have Henry Lloyd breathable foul weather pants and a really light weight pair of Gill pants. If you thought I had a lot of skiing gear welcome to my sailing gear addiction!

Jilly

Staff member
Well I ordered a jacket and pants from EB. We'll see what happens when they get here. Since this is a "just in case" issue, I really didn't want to spend hundreds of $$ on something that might get used 1/yr. I did find a Sierra Design set at the cottage. I remember you might as well be wearing a plastic bag. No breathability so not using.

Our club has a jacket with the logo etc....I'd rather have something I can use after I'm through paddling with them. And I got the set for just about the same money as EB stuff was on sale.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna